Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 13 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 03:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travel to meet potential clients

my ­ name ­ is ­ always ­ taken
444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2018 03:36 |  #1

Hi,
I'm after some advice and your thoughts on a potential client. A potential client would like to book us for four hours on their wedding day.
What's your thoughts on travel to meet potential clients? would you travel over 45mins to 1 hour away to meet someone that may book you?
At the time of their enquiry we were charging $160p/h (as we are just starting out) but have recently increased this price, we sent them an email asking if they would like to book the date as we have increased or rates. I know they live over an hour and a half away and I'm not willing to drive that distance for someone who MAY book (for only four hours), So the question goes Would you drive half way or more to meet a potential client?

Thinking of time, petrol / car costs.

Your thoughts?

https://smithersphotog​raphy.com.au/ (external link)
clintsmithers.me (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/CSmithersPhotograph​y/ (external link)
Google+

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Feb 13, 2018 07:17 |  #2

Yes I would travel that far to meet them... HOWEVER my 4 hour charge is considerably more than yours.

I wouldn't go that far for a potential meeting charging what you are.

Peter

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,284 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 13, 2018 07:21 |  #3

You will make compromises as you start out. One way to not undermine yourself is to charge the rates you would really like to demand, but offer a sale/coupon/discount. This way you can compromise on a case by case scenario, but later reduce those discounts to get you to your fully stated rate. Yes, if I were starting out, I would do the travel, because if I had talked with a potential client and they seemed happy at initial contact, I would rather have them as a customer than somebody out there say "oh don't get them, they didn't even want to spend the time to meet us".

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 14, 2018 17:23 |  #4

I agree, but I don't drive. I'd weigh up the cost of the wedding, and the time/cost to go and meet them. An hours drive tops for free. What I've successfully done in the past is to get clients to meet me either halfway, or near my house. I use a pub nearby mine. If they really want you, they'll come to you, if they need that reassurance a face to face gives, but are maybe thinking of other possibles as well, halfway might work. If it's cheapest only, then they probably won't want to spend the gas. Most of my bookings are clinched over the phone, the meeting comes later. I get the impression you'd rather not travel on a half chance. O ly you can decide.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 14, 2018 17:41 |  #5

Drive 3 hours, consume your time and about $20 in gas and wear and tear on your car (assuming 3 hours at 60mph net speed and 25 mpg)

...for 4 hours in fees or $640 -- if you get the job. So really you are spending 7 hours and getting $620 (subtracting gas expense), netting $88 per hour.
Or else you are spending 3 hours of time and $20 in automobile expense, for nothing (if you do not get the job)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 14, 2018 23:40 |  #6

Thanks all for the advice / thoughts, We decided to go half way and meet.
Team speed your on the money, thanks.

Thanks again

Google+

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 15, 2018 00:04 |  #7

I don't even go within a city to meet clients. Coming to me shows a level of interest and commitment.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,260 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 15, 2018 09:09 |  #8

We travel on average 30min to 45min to meet clients, however we live 25 minutes outside the city so thats just an every day commute for us. With that being said, face to face meetings are not all that common for us. We tend to clinch the weddings via email or phone call. Heck we had 3 weddings last summer where we never actually spoke to the couple before the wedding day, all communication via email.

It all comes down to cost for us. If someone is booking a $3000 package I would be more inclined to drive an hour or two and have a talk if thats what it takes to get their signature on my contract. Booking a small 3 hour week night event, your probably gonna need to come to me if you want a face to face.

THREAD ­ STARTER
444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 16, 2018 23:48 |  #9

Thanks Tim and Littlejon for your comments,
We are happy to meet as we can put a face to name and willing to travel once someone has made a deposit (which has been our way).
I agree with people coming to you for business, though we don't have a shop nor the house rental for such thing at the moment, so meeting at a location works for us. And yes if these potential clients booked or wanted us for a full day then I wouldn't hesitate to drive.
Thanks again for your thoughts

Google+

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,559 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 28, 2018 20:50 |  #10

Another idea is to do a skype /virtual meeting.

Gearlist

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 01, 2018 01:39 |  #11

I've found it's best to do in-person meetings, to make sure you get on ok with them. Over here not many people will book or do a deposit without an in-person meeting unless you have a stellar reputation and you come with a raving recommendation from someone they know.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,527 views & 1 like for this thread
Travel to meet potential clients
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.