Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you want constructive criticism on your photos in the "Photo Sharing and Visual Enjoyment" section?"
Yes
74.1%
No
25.9%

54 voters, 54 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography Forum, What's the Point?

Pigpen101
691 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 11, 2018 10:31 |  #46

Jethr0 wrote in post #18563108 (external link)
I think the key word is _constructive_.
I have read some snarky comments on photos and wonder if that person would have said that if they were face to face with the person receiving the criticism. I think likely not.

That being said, I feel that POTN is one of the most polite forums I have ever been part of.

I ignore the members/comments that aren’t very nice. On occasion I may have indicated that someone is being rude if I felt strongly enough about it.

I have to agree. I used to go to "ugly hedgehog" and I just got fed up with the rudeness. Not everyone, but it only takes a few. Mostly the long term members and "professionals". Someone would ask a question and I'd see someone respond with "Why not google it?". What is the point of the forum?? Also, many threads turned into political arguments even though not placed in the part of the forum dedicated to politics. And, as we all know political talks usually do, they would turn into nasty threads with name calling etc....

I rarely give comments or criticism unless I feel the member can handle it. When I do comment it is usually about composition and things of that nature. I try not to comment on things such as saturation & contrast because I've seen first hand how monitors vary drastically and what looks good on your monitor may look terrible on mine. Even my own devices, when editing for the newspaper & a 2x3 B&W print, I use my laptop, but when editing for a print for a customer I use my desktop w/ a 27" HD calibrated display.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you (or your paying customer) is satisfied with the image.:-)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,100 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 11, 2018 10:33 |  #47

I'll say something positive but won't critique unless the poster asks. I think unsolicited critique does not belongs in a general image forum only because some are OK with it and others may not take it well. You never know. That is what C&C threads are for.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 12, 2018 22:56 |  #48

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18565524 (external link)
Tee ones that crack me up are the journalistic ones where people criticise something in the background, what's the photographer meant to do, ask the 70 strangers in shot to reply the last 30s of their lives, knock the ugly building down, ask the train to back up and have another go....

This one made me chuckle.

Some of the best critiques I got were from a photojournalism instructor and he would say exactly these sorts of things (among his many comments) and I considered it quite worthwhile.

As a photographer, it helps to look at what is more and less successful about an image. In some situations, the complaint is not something you could have fixed for that shot, but something you can watch for in the future.

But, frequently, those things which "can't be changed" can be dealt with when you work the scene a bit harder or with more experience. There is often a different angle, a different focal length, a different depth of field, a better place to stand or a better moment to make the exposure.

And these very critiques did make me more capable of creating better images, being more mindful of the evolving situation before me, working the scene and making better selections from the images created.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 13, 2018 08:45 |  #49

F2Bthere wrote in post #18683100 (external link)
Some of the best critiques I got were from a photojournalism instructor and he would say exactly these sorts of things (among his many comments) and I considered it quite worthwhile. ...

(Emphasis added.)

Therein lies the proverbial rub. This is about critiques from a trusted individual.

I love PotN, and have been here for many years. I'm an amateur photographer, always have been, probably always will be, but I do aspire to be constantly learning and improving. I've taken courses on photography in order to improve. In one long course, there were critiques by my instructor, a professional photographer. Not everything was good, thankfully, so I did learn and grow. I once belonged to an active photo club and would submit photos for critique. As I wasn't taking their style and genre of photos (and the club definitely had its own style and genre), the critiques were not constructive. After two years it was time to part ways.

I don't want constructive criticism in the "Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment" section. If I'm posting a photo, it's one I consider to be worthy of sharing. If someone likes it, great. If not, that's great too. If I want constructive criticism, I'll post to the Critique Corner in the "Photography Talk by Genre" section. I typically know what works in a photo and what doesn't.

Here's a series of posts for a photo I took. This photo was taken on approach to NYC from the NJ Turnpike at about 60mph (~100km/hr). I was riding in a bus. The commentary was fun! In terms of real criticism, could I have done better? Sure. I could have driven up there, stopped along the side of the highway, and used a ladder to get a similar elevation. I'd have probably gone up and down the highway for a bit to find a better composition, and perhaps I might have been able to get it perfect in camera. It is what it is.

POST 18445588
POST 18446250
POST 18446329

Sometimes it's just about sharing a photo I like. It's like sharing something I cooked at home.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 13, 2018 22:40 |  #50

I started in the "critiques only when asked for" camp.

This conversation and a few others have caused me to rethink my position. I believe they have changed my mind.

If someone writes something, they cannot say "agree with me or say nothing." Posting a photograph is also a statement. Not only that but posting a photograph says "it is worth your time and the greater bandwidth to see the image." It makes sense that people should be allowed to respond as they wish--within the standards of not being rude I hope we all agree upon.

I don't see why in a discussion forum it should not be fine to respond, positive, negative or otherwise.

I have probably learned far more from constructive disagreements and constructive criticism on forums over the years than anything else.

Which leads me to think that a person making a post who wines when someone has constructive suggestions or disagreements, regardless of the post being an image or text, is simply being selfish and self-centered. The forum is a place for everyone to learn. Not just the person who wants to show their work. This is not kindergarten, after all.

The argument that the criticism isn't from a trusted source or that the photographer already knows what there is to know about their photographs reminds me of an amusing statistic: 97% of drivers rate their driving skill is above average. Clearly most of them are wrong :).

In a similar way, I don't think it is reasonable to presume that those posting a photograph are better than those posting a response. Sure, sometimes it will be true ;).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,070 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 14, 2018 00:06 |  #51

F2Bthere wrote in post #18683100 (external link)
......But, frequently, those things which "can't be changed" can be dealt with when you work the scene a bit harder or with more experience. There is often a different angle, a different focal length, a different depth of field, a better place to stand or a better moment to make the exposure.

And these very critiques did make me more capable of creating better images, being more mindful of the evolving situation before me, working the scene and making better selections from the images created.

This ^^^

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

308Shooter
161 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Aug 14, 2018 11:55 |  #52

I post and welcome any feedback - positive or negative. You don't know what's technically right or wrong until you get a different view point. The negative isn't always easy to hear, but it's helpful. AND.. if you know something may not be technically correct, but it is the goal you were striving for, then shrug off the "nay-sayers". They aren't mind readers and didnt know what you were trying too achieve in the first place. They're merely trying to help.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
2,910 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by ozziepuppy.

Oct 04, 2018 13:42 |  #53

Interesting discussion. I am going to change my signature to include "Constructive criticism always appreciated."

I would welcome constructive criticism because I need and want to improve my skills. Hopefully it would be very specific, though, because just knowing what is wrong might not be enough information for me to do be able to better the next time.

Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

goalerjones
243 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2018

Oct 04, 2018 13:57 |  #54

When I posted my milky way fail thread a month or 2 ago, I asked for help. I got very specific things including camera settings to address. I also got some non technical advice but it all made such a huge impact on the next time I went out.

I can read articles; watch videos and lurk on forums for answers, but nothing beats getting real-time advice and answers.

sponsored links

8,381 views & 52 likes for this thread
Photography Forum, What's the Point?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.