Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 15 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 22:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

multicore processors

hobowriter
118 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 15, 2018 22:04 |  #1

I am researching ideas for a desktop build, and was looking at some of the quad core Intel I-7 processors. Now, someone has informed me that a multi-core processor is only beneficial if the programs being run are designed for multi-core processors. Is this true?
I use Linux based programs, Shotwell and Marketable, and wondering if the multi core processors will be a waste of money. How would one ascertain whether a program was designed for quad core processing or not?
Thanks for any insight.

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,084 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2018 22:09 |  #2

hobowriter wrote in post #18564822 (external link)
I am researching ideas for a desktop build, and was looking at some of the quad core Intel I-7 processors. Now, someone has informed me that a multi-core processor is only beneficial if the programs being run are designed for multi-core processors. Is this true?
I use Linux based programs, Shotwell and Marketable, and wondering if the multi core processors will be a waste of money. How would one ascertain whether a program was designed for quad core processing or not?
Thanks for any insight.

Not sure you can even buy a single core processor any more.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by davesrose.

Feb 15, 2018 23:01 |  #3

Many programs have at least some processes that are multithreaded. If there’s a particular program you’re in question about, Google is your friend. I found that Shotwell has full multi threading. If your app is doing any video rendering or 3D environment rendering, it’s a given it’s multithreaded. I don’t know what Marketable is, and since it doesn’t show up in the basic list of Linux apps, can’t find any specific info for it.

With most all new processors, quad core is now a basic minimum spec.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,939 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 16, 2018 04:31 |  #4

Your intent, at least to some degree seems to indicate you desire the latest and greatest. Perhaps driven by performance. Why aren't you looking at 8th multicore generation processors?

Although it applies to laptops, there is some interesting comparisons between processors at https://www.pcworld.co​m …h-gen-core-i7-review.html (external link).

hobowriter
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 16, 2018 07:11 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #18564935 (external link)
Your intent, at least to some degree seems to indicate you desire the latest and greatest. Perhaps driven by performance. Why aren't you looking at 8th multicore generation processors?

Although it applies to laptops, there is some interesting comparisons between processors at https://www.pcworld.co​m …h-gen-core-i7-review.html (external link).

Not sure how you interpret a post that asks if I really need the latest and greatest to mean that I want the latest and greatest.

hobowriter
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 16, 2018 07:14 |  #6

hobowriter wrote in post #18564822 (external link)
Thanks for any insight.

I apologize. Spell check changes the name of the program I had typed in from Dark Table (when typed with no space) to "Marketable".

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,939 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 4 months ago by John from PA.

Feb 16, 2018 08:29 |  #7

hobowriter wrote in post #18565011 (external link)
Not sure how you interpret a post that asks if I really need the latest and greatest to mean that I want the latest and greatest.

I'm just suggesting that you consider 8th generation. At least in laptops it seems to do well and even in some instances handles single threaded task well. Quoting from the link...

Cinebench R15 also allows us to test performance of the application in single-threaded tasks, so we threw the switch and ran all five laptops through the same task. The real surprise is the winner. You'd think it would be the Core i7-7700HQ in the newest XPS 15, but no, it's the new Core i7-8550U in the XPS 13.

As far as multi threaded tasks, the article states

...the Core i7-8550U simply destroys the 7th-gen Core i7 dual-core CPU.

The article does point out that a concern is cooling and that definitely applies to laptops but you are doing a built out of a desktop where cooling can readily be handled. I think you also have a motherboard consideration as the 8th generation requires the Intel's Z370 chipset based motherboard.

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 16, 2018 09:34 |  #8

8th gen laptop processors are chiefly designed to have lower power requirements (increasing battery life and reducing CPU temps). Many small (13") laptops had gen 7 dual core processors. They now are equipped with gen 8 quad core processors. Many of these processors have lower base frequencies (single process instruction speed). Since I do video and 3D rendering, I've always preferred at least 15" laptops with quad core processors. 7th gen quad core and 8th gen are not as clear cut about a new generation being faster. With the above CNET article, all the benchmarks (both single and multi-threaded) have the highest scores with the i7-7700HQ (being quad core and higher base frequency). The author is cherry picking one unrealistic 3D single core benchmark. In other tasks, the i7-7700HQ is clearly the fastest at tasks. So the overall take home is that these new gen 8 quad core processors are clearly faster then the dual core ones they are replacing, as well as keeping power requirements low.

As for Dark Table, from what I've read, it relies on GPU: so getting a computer with dedicated Nvidia card will be optimal.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

hobowriter
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 16, 2018 12:16 |  #9

John from PA wrote in post #18565054 (external link)
I'm just suggesting that you consider 8th generation. At least in laptops it seems to do well and even in some instances handles single threaded task well. Quoting from the link...

As far as multi threaded tasks, the article states

The article does point out that a concern is cooling and that definitely applies to laptops but you are doing a built out of a desktop where cooling can readily be handled. I think you also have a motherboard consideration as the 8th generation requires the Intel's Z370 chipset based motherboard.

Thanks for that information. I would like a laptop for processing my photos, but my concern is that a laptop would be beyond my affordability, plus a laptop top isn't as easily upgraded.

I also neglected to say that I am starting to work on panoramas which is , I believe, pretty processor intensive.
My goal on this desk to build is to get the motherboard, processor, cooling system built to last a long time. Memory can be added if necessary in the future, but I want what is sufficient for the present, to be sure.
I have a couple laptops that I take with me when I travel so that I can download my pictures from the camera cards to a flash drive .
Thanks again for your information.

Fred

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 16, 2018 12:22 as a reply to  @ hobowriter's post |  #10

What is your budget for a desktop build? Are you comfortable building the desktop yourself, or would you like to buy a pre-configured computer from a brand?

smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,939 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 4 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2018 14:38 |  #11

hobowriter wrote in post #18565210 (external link)
Thanks for that information. I would like a laptop for processing my photos, but my concern is that a laptop would be beyond my affordability, plus a laptop top isn't as easily upgraded.

Fred

I am not suggesting you buy or upgrade a laptop, I am suggesting that you do a build out of a desktop and consider 8th generation Intel instead of the 7th generation you mentioned in your original post.

See https://www.intel.com …family-desktop-brief.html (external link)

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 16, 2018 17:12 |  #12

The OP didn't mention anything about processor generations....just i7 series.

smugmug (external link)

hobowriter
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 16, 2018 19:19 |  #13

davesrose wrote in post #18565455 (external link)

Actually, the dilemma I am picking away at is choosing a processor for a computer build, all things considered, that will be most cost effective over 6 or 8 years. Any advice about how many cores, which generation etc is greatly appreciated.

Fred

davesrose
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 16, 2018 19:34 |  #14

You've just asked about multi-threading, and not giving any info about what your budget is, how much RAM, or what GPU you're looking at. If you're building the desktop, Newegg has good prices on processors. If you're looking for a brand that makes specific graphics workstations, apart from Boxx, Dell, and HP, I've used a smaller company based in California named Xi Computer (external link). They have good prices with RAM and graphics cards.

smugmug (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,152 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 17, 2018 09:13 |  #15

davesrose wrote in post #18565455 (external link)

He did say quad core i7 though, if I'm not mistaken all the newest desktop i7s have 6 or more physical cores (finally).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,717 views & 1 like for this thread
multicore processors
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.