Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 23:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New desktop built, cant decide whether to go 2 27inch 4k monitors or 1 32inch 4k?

tatony333
31 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 17, 2018 23:31 |  #1

Hi guys, I just built myself my dream editing desktop : I7 8700, 16gb mem, 256 ssd, 2tb hdd, gtx 1060.
I will be using the machine primarily for photo editing using Lightroom and photoshop and creating the odd slide show using proshow producer and some 4k video editing. I don't game at all.

I have been using a 2 monitor setup for the last 5yrs (2 23inch hd monitors 1 of them is a pro colour calibrated ips monitor the other basic tn).

Im having a hard time deciding if i should go with 2 27 inch 4k monitors (probably dell p2715q) or 1 32 inch 4k (possibly asus pa329q ).

I wanted to know what your opinions are on this, if you have pros and cons on either choice or if you have different suggestions on my choice of possible models i'd love to hear them. I have no experience at all with working with 4k monitors for editing so any info would be great.

Thanks

sponsored links
cigargreg
258 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 18, 2018 00:17 |  #2

So I just had this same debate with myself, I also play games so I was even more torn between getting a color correct monitor or getting a 144hz that did ok on color. I went with 2 SW2700PT it was kind of a compromise. So far I am very happy with the 2 27's they seem like the sweet spot.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

Hannah'sDad
140 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Hannah'sDad.

Feb 18, 2018 06:50 |  #3

I had the same issue. When I built my new PC, I needed to replace the two 27" HD monitors. I decided to go back with two 27" LG 27UD58-B 4K monitors. They calibrate well and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

tatony333
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2018 10:29 as a reply to  @ cigargreg's post |  #4

Did you notice a big difference in IQ moving from HD to the sw2700pt I know it’s considered a 2k monitor. I do have the 2700pt on my list as my 2nd monitor to use as my main photo screen while working in Lightroom.

tatony333
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2018 10:32 as a reply to  @ Hannah'sDad's post |  #5

Just wondering if you found scaling an issue when you made the move from HD to 4K. I know you when from 2 27 inch HD’s to 2 4K 27 inch. Will Lightroom take advantage of the full screen in 4k.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by davesrose.

Feb 18, 2018 11:11 |  #6

If you have CC versions of Adobe software on the PC, or CS6 on the Mac, then those versions will be able to scale fonts to whatever your desktop font scaling is (for example, if you set it to 200%). Windows 10 is better then Windows 7 or 8 for scaling applications that don't support hiDPI (the feature for scaling fonts to the same as your desktop scaling). I have found I still have a few apps that don't support hiDPI. For those, I can go to their compatibility settings and enable System(enhanced) compatibility mode.

As for what monitor(s) to get, the more expensive UHD monitors also support HDR. If I were getting a new monitor that I'd be editing and viewing 4K video, I would get HDR. UHD discs and professional editing are now done in 10bit color. The monitor needs to support HDR10. As well as Dell, Benq, and Asus, LG (like 32UD99-W) gets high reviews for their HDR 4K monitors in color accuracy (after calibration).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 18, 2018 11:21 |  #7

Personally, I HAVE to have one monitor in portrait orientation, especially given the wide aspect ratios ( = never tall enough) they force us to use. So I'd go with the pair every time.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

cigargreg
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 18, 2018 15:22 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #8

Jake,

Do you have screenshots of how you have LR layed out? I have tried one of my monitor's portrait and don't seem to have a good workflow. I use this set up at work but outlook is on the portrait 24-7

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,659 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 18, 2018 15:55 |  #9

Definitely two monitors, the ability to have different things open on diff monitors is invaluable, which you already know.
Plus as you have two monitors already if you get a single 32 it will not be long before you get another 32!

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

tatony333
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2018 16:09 |  #10

troutfisher wrote in post #18566921 (external link)
Definitely two monitors, the ability to have different things open on diff monitors is invaluable, which you already know.
Plus as you have two monitors already if you get a single 32 it will not be long before you get another 32!

I think I have to agree with you here! Adding another 32 would mean a new desk and upset wife lol. I do love my current dual monitor set up so I’m probably gonna get 2 27’s.
Has anyone used the sw2700pt? I was going to try and buy a dell 2715q or lg 27ud68 and use it as my main screen and then use a sw2700pt as my photo viewing screen when using Lightroom. Is the IQ on the sw2700pt alot better then my existing HD monitors or do I just get 2 4k’s?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Feb 18, 2018 17:05 |  #11

I have had three monitor setup for a long time: 2x19" verticals and one 24" horizontal in the middle. Very productive and can keep on eye of other programs while playing games :)

My plan in a couple of years time is to get a 55" OLED for computer use (to a wall, about 40 cm farther than the current monitors. I am confident they will soon solve the burn-in problem (which is not a problem in normal tv/movie usage) and prices are already quite reasonable. I use an 55" OLED as movie screen and I just love it.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 18, 2018 22:42 |  #12

cigargreg wrote in post #18566898 (external link)
Jake,

Do you have screenshots of how you have LR layed out? I have tried one of my monitor's portrait and don't seem to have a good workflow. I use this set up at work but outlook is on the portrait 24-7

I don't have LR laid out,. I use Capture One :)

Portrait monitor is to the right of the landscape one. Landscape is most used, 27"
When editing images that are landscape, all the tools are "undocked" and on the right portrait monitor, allowing the main monitor to only be the image. Thumbs and tools to the right.

If the image is a portrait orientation, all this is reversed at the click of the mouse by changing to another saved work-space.

I do the exact same thing in Photoshop.

For no image editing, the right hand monitor will be explorer windows, email etc. Word is ALWAYS on the portrait monitor as that's the orientation of paper too.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

cigargreg
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 19, 2018 09:17 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #13

That is kind of how I was thinking maybe I'll give it another shot.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

HorribleAvatar
87 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 19, 2018 16:34 |  #14

I have two 27" 1440p monitors side by side on a stand, it's quite nice having the grid view of LR on the left and the develop window on the right. I also do LR on the left monitor and Photoshop on the right it also works quite nicely.

flickr (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,694 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited 4 months ago by MDJAK. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 20:32 |  #15

I have a 27” iMac and an Apple 27” screen lined up next to it. I’ve been wanting to replace the whole thing but not sure what screen or screens to buy. Isn’t there a 37” wide monitor or am I mistaken?

Also, I just “splurged” on a desk from IKEA, perfect fit for both monitors on a shelf above the desk surface, with shelf above and two side shelf’s like wings that hold speakers, etc. monitors fit like a glove, and not OJ’s glove either.

sponsored links

1,594 views & 6 likes for this thread
New desktop built, cant decide whether to go 2 27inch 4k monitors or 1 32inch 4k?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.