Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stock photography: How (not) to get rich quickly (video)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 26, 2018 17:07 |  #16

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18572804 (external link)
No, I have not tried video.

In fact, I have never even shot video - not even one second's worth (except with my cell phone).

I have extreme problems trying to use technology and software. . I just don't understand how any of it works.

I have purchased Photoshop Elements and Lightroom and Aperture, but don't use them because I can not figure out how to use them. . So for all of my photo editing needs I have used only iPhoto and the new program that replaced it, Photos. . They are the programs that came already loaded onto my computers when I bought them, and they are the only programs that I could ever figure out how to use.

So now imagine me shooting video. . I would go out and shoot the video and then it would sit on my memory cards forever because I would not be able to figure out how to get it off the card and onto the computer.

Before you say, "it's easy - all you do is ........ "

Well, before you say this, please understand the following:

I bought a flash for my Canon DSLR and couldn't figure out how to make it go off when I take the picture. . I looked at the menu on the back of the camera and couldn't find anything to select that would make the flash work.

Also, a friend gave me an Echo Dot for Christmas. . The Dot sits on my desk, unused, because for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make it work or how to connect to anything.

Another problem I had - when I bought Photoshop, I could not figure out how to get it onto my computer, so I had to call the good folks at Apple Support and have them do it for me. . They have this great thing where they "take over" my computer and can do things for me from wherever they are. . But if I had had to "install" it myself, or "download" it myself, it never would have happened.

Additionally, I have never had an "app" on my smartphone. . Why? . Because the times when I have tried to download an app, I get error messages that say that before I can download the app I need to do this and I need to do that, and it is all so overwhelming and I can't figure out how to do any of the things they say I need to do.

Hence, no apps for Tommy :-(

So please keep my ultra-low aptitude in mind when you think about the idea of me doing video for stock submissions.

The use of ambient light, the composition, "capturing the moment", the backgrounds and the supporting elements and the point of view and the "artistic vision" - these are all the easy things that come to me without me even thinking consciously of them. . But the technology and the software - that is the horrible nightmare that prohibits me from success.

Tom,

I have read before ... with a mixture of amusement and horror ... of the challenges you have had to contend with in accommodating yourself (almost) to current technology. I've also noted that you are the 'smart guy' who has figured out how to defeat POTN's relentless efforts to cut off and conceal the first few letters of any new post ... and I've slavishly copied your method.

I suspect you are far better at 'technology' than you usually 'let on'.

Anyway, whatever, you are a 'high attention to detail', 'imprecision vigilante' kind of a person. My impression is that you have worked out how to get by and meet your main priorities without involving a huge amount of money. OhLook could be right with her idea that freelance proofreading might be a conducive way to earn a few extra bucks to improve on that.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
Pippan
915 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 26, 2018 17:27 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18572933 (external link)
Now, for the real question ....... does this Preview program edit videos? . If so, then I may not be as far away from video competence as I think I am.

Tom, your Mac comes with iMovie (the purple star in the dock) for editing video.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2018 18:08 |  #18

Pippan wrote in post #18572996 (external link)
Tom, your Mac comes with iMovie (the purple star in the dock) for editing video.

Hmmmm .... there is no purple star on my dock. . Nor is there anything in the dock named, "iMovie".

Might there be another way to find this program, in the case that it is on my computer, but somehow not included in the "dock items"?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,699 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 26, 2018 19:42 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #19

Finding iMovie may depend on what model Mac and what operating system you have. Mine is a MacBook Pro from 2015. Its OS is Sierra, version 10.12.3. The Dock contains an icon for Launchpad. This icon looks like a rocket pointing up and to the right. Clicking or tapping the Launchpad icon produces a display of all the apps that came with the machine. The purple star for iMovie is among them.

If you don't have Launchpad or you expelled it from the Dock, another way to find an app is to go to the Desktop and use the search function: Command-F.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pippan
915 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 26, 2018 20:35 |  #20

OhLook wrote in post #18573110 (external link)
Finding iMovie may depend on what model Mac and what operating system you have. Mine is a MacBook Pro from 2015. Its OS is Sierra, version 10.12.3. The Dock contains an icon for Launchpad. This icon looks like a rocket pointing up and to the right. Clicking or tapping the Launchpad icon produces a display of all the apps that came with the machine. The purple star for iMovie is among them.

If you don't have Launchpad or you expelled it from the Dock, another way to find an app is to go to the Desktop and use the search function: Command-F.

Sorry Tom, I must have put mine in the dock. When you find iMovie in the launchpad (as OhLook described) or under 'Applications' in the Finder, you can click on it and drag it (or any other app) to the dock and it will stay there. Then in future, to open it you just click on the dock icon.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2018 22:26 |  #21

I found it!

It is on my computer! . The step-by-step instructions from Oh Look worked perfectly.

Maybe I will try to shoot some video. . Who knows, it might end up being something that changes my life somewhat.

Thanks!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Justin ­ Time
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Mar 02, 2018 04:11 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18573235 (external link)
I found it!

It is on my computer! . The step-by-step instructions from Oh Look worked perfectly.

Maybe I will try to shoot some video. . Who knows, it might end up being something that changes my life somewhat.

Thanks!

Good luck with your videos Tom!

Justin ­ Time
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Mar 03, 2018 04:15 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18572933 (external link)
I never knew about that before - THANKS!

Now, for the real question ....... does this Preview program edit videos? . If so, then I may not be as far away from video competence as I think I am.

Tom, to be honest I must say that video in general is very complex and technical,
Much, much harder than photography

sponsored links

1,830 views & 7 likes for this thread
Stock photography: How (not) to get rich quickly (video)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.