Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 20 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switching to Mirrorless

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,288 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by umphotography.

Apr 15, 2018 21:48 |  #121

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18607559 (external link)
Thanks Sometimes all you have to do is mention the L word and things get ugly ha ha....

Long time no hear- Thought you might have retired

hope all is where for you

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,781 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 15, 2018 22:11 |  #122

umphotography wrote in post #18607605 (external link)
Long time no hear- Thought you might have retired

hope all is where for you

Hey Mike,

I've been around. I have been insanely busy. Book is almost finished. Should be done in the next month or two. Business has been really good.

How about you?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,902 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 16, 2018 00:16 as a reply to  @ post 18607306 |  #123

My buddy preordered the a73 and picked it up this week. He has an a6300 so he is used to the Sony experience a little bit. He also is coming from Canon... a 60D then 6D then 5D3. He has the Sigma adapter and says the Canon glass, so far, is lightening quick. He’s sold completely and never wants another DSLR.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,288 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 16, 2018 14:37 |  #124

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18607615 (external link)
Hey Mike,

I've been around. I have been insanely busy. Book is almost finished. Should be done in the next month or two. Business has been really good.

How about you?

We relocated to Washigton in 2014 and restarted the business

swamped and wife is going to retire and run the business full time

medical benefits is the holdback

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,781 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2018 15:05 |  #125

umphotography wrote in post #18608011 (external link)
We relocated to Washigton in 2014 and restarted the business

swamped and wife is going to retire and run the business full time

Glad to hear your business is doing well. I picked up a new really big client late last year and that along with all of my other clients I have been extremely busy. My wife has retired and has been running the office part of our biz for about 3 years now. She has always ran that end of my biz but over the past 4 or 5 years I have gotten so busy she just had to let her work go. We pay over 15K a year and we have a $2600 deductible. OUCH.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 16, 2018 15:20 |  #126

umphotography wrote in post #18608011 (external link)

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18608037 (external link)
We pay over 15K a year and we have a $2600 deductible. OUCH.

OUCH is right!

Here in WA state, if you're poor enough, the state pays for your health insurance. . I qualify, but if I didn't qualify, then I just wouldn't have any health insurance. . It just isn't worth it.

The free insurance I get isn't really that good; the doctors seem to be inexperienced, or not to care very much. . It isn't real personal and professional like health care was back in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid and the doctor would even come to your house if you weren't up to going out for an office visit. . Now they don't even know your name unless they look at the chart. . Sheesh!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2018 22:39 |  #127

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18607648 (external link)
My buddy preordered the a73 and picked it up this week. He has an a6300 so he is used to the Sony experience a little bit. He also is coming from Canon... a 60D then 6D then 5D3. He has the Sigma adapter and says the Canon glass, so far, is lightening quick. He’s sold completely and never wants another DSLR.

So I've been playing with my A7iii and I'll be honest I'm very impressed with the performance with the Sigma adapter with Canon glass. I'm not fully on board with Sony as I haven't invested in Sony glass just yet.

I'm just still not convinced it's gonna be a killer performer since mirrorless cannot utilize red focus beam from the external flash. This is one reason why I happily hang onto my heavier Canon gear and glass.

The Sony system to me is impressing me as my secondary system along side my Fuji "secondary system". So far the Fuji has not performed exactly how I wanted it as a low light performer as it hunts in low light.

Since I do not have sony glass I still cannot fully test the system for low light events photography in challenging dance floor/ reception type environments. So far my Canon has never failed me but with Fuji I've had terrible AF hunt. Sony is the next system I'll push in pitch dark low light photography. I'll see how sony does in such low light situations first hand.

However I'll have to say the Sony A7iii for my casual photography ..... I'm truly amazed in the performance. I will take my time in analyzing Sony's performance for my low light shooting. I'm just "chicken" to dump Canon as it flat out works with consistency never hunting with red focus assist beam when I run/gun with bounced flash.

So far I'm diggin' Sony's responsive performance. I love my Fuji for the IQ it gives me even though AF is not on par with Sony or Canon. I just still love Fuji's 16mm and 56mm combo with my X-t2.

I have a hard time dumping a dlsr as long as I continue to shoot events that demand total reliable AF in low light.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,218 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 16, 2018 23:04 |  #128

I shoot a lot of really dark wedding venues and have never needed the AF assist beam.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2018 23:57 |  #129

mystik610 wrote in post #18608293 (external link)
I shoot a lot of really dark wedding venues and have never needed the AF assist beam.

Good to hear!

So you're stating the Sony does not have AF hunting in low light?? A friend of mine has mentioned his A9 is not getting the results that you get with your Sony gear......... This is the reason why I am concerned. I will be testing myself so I will see how the A7iii performs personally. I have heard other Sony users wishing the red focus assist would work with their mirrorless sony bodies.

I know I fully trust my Canon gear to lock on AF with no issues at all with external flash with red focus assist beam. I have zero tolerance in missing photos due to hardware. However if I'm just casually snapping I let things slide with my Fuji gear when it hesitates. This is where I cannot manually adjust the lens on a fuji to capture a moment when the AF hesitates with my Fuji X-t2. I've never experienced AF failure with my Canon mirrored bodies.

Do you use the Godox speedlites or do you spend more money on Sony OEM flash units???

At the end of the day my Sony experience is very positive. Since Canon is still my fully trusted primary system I'm willing to incorporate some sony into the mix on hired event work ( once I start buying Sony native glass)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 17, 2018 20:04 |  #130

AlanU wrote in post #18608315 (external link)
Good to hear!

So you're stating the Sony does not have AF hunting in low light?? A friend of mine has mentioned his A9 is not getting the results that you get with your Sony gear......... This is the reason why I am concerned. I will be testing myself so I will see how the A7iii performs personally. I have heard other Sony users wishing the red focus assist would work with their mirrorless sony bodies.

I know I fully trust my Canon gear to lock on AF with no issues at all with external flash with red focus assist beam. I have zero tolerance in missing photos due to hardware. However if I'm just casually snapping I let things slide with my Fuji gear when it hesitates. This is where I cannot manually adjust the lens on a fuji to capture a moment when the AF hesitates with my Fuji X-t2. I've never experienced AF failure with my Canon mirrored bodies.

Do you use the Godox speedlites or do you spend more money on Sony OEM flash units???

At the end of the day my Sony experience is very positive. Since Canon is still my fully trusted primary system I'm willing to incorporate some sony into the mix on hired event work ( once I start buying Sony native glass)

Yeah if these Sony bodies weren't capable of focusing when the lights are cut off at the end of a wedding ceremony, I wouldn't use them.

AF assist beams are a crutch to add contrast when the light gets low. Mirrorless bodies lean on the contrast detect system to focus in the dark. The caveat is that adapted lenses don't do too well in low light because you don't get hybrid AF with adapted glass. The a9 fared pretty well here though, and since the a7III shares the same AF system, I'd expect it to perform well too.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 17, 2018 20:44 |  #131

mystik610 wrote in post #18608835 (external link)
Yeah if these Sony bodies weren't capable of focusing when the lights are cut off at the end of a wedding ceremony, I wouldn't use them.

AF assist beams are a crutch to add contrast when the light gets low. Mirrorless bodies lean on the contrast detect system to focus in the dark. The caveat is that adapted lenses don't do too well in low light because you don't get hybrid AF with adapted glass. The a9 fared pretty well here though, and since the a7III shares the same AF system, I'd expect it to perform well too.

Just picked up a cheap Godox v860ii-s flash. Something for me to experiment with in the meantime with adapted glass. So far no red light grid on my A7iii which I find kind of odd. I'll experiment more.....

My friend with the A9 with 25 batis and sony 85 f/1.8 isn't performing in low light like his previous 5dmk4. I'll see how the A7iii works out....

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 18, 2018 04:47 |  #132

AlanU wrote in post #18608853 (external link)
Just picked up a cheap Godox v860ii-s flash. Something for me to experiment with in the meantime with adapted glass. So far no red light grid on my A7iii which I find kind of odd. I'll experiment more.....

My friend with the A9 with 25 batis and sony 85 f/1.8 isn't performing in low light like his previous 5dmk4. I'll see how the A7iii works out....

There was a firmware update that enabled the AF assist beam on the xt1-s trigger:

http://briansmith.com …1t-s-firmware-update-v05/ (external link)

Hopefully they enable it on the 860II-S too, but as a work around you could technically stack the 860II on top of an xt1 if you really want the AF assist beam for now.

The 860II is an affordable, but awesome speedlight btw. Really powerful and cycles faster than any other speedlight I've ever used...including the 600EX. The whole godox system is awesome. Really happy with their strobess.

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by AlanU.

Apr 18, 2018 08:32 |  #133

mystik610 wrote in post #18608939 (external link)
There was a firmware update that enabled the AF assist beam on the xt1-s trigger:

http://briansmith.com …1t-s-firmware-update-v05/ (external link)

Hopefully they enable it on the 860II-S too, but as a work around you could technically stack the 860II on top of an xt1 if you really want the AF assist beam for now.

The 860II is an affordable, but awesome speedlight btw. Really powerful and cycles faster than any other speedlight I've ever used...including the 600EX. The whole godox system is awesome. Really happy with their strobess.

Thank you!! I was concerned my flash was defective. I reflashed it with new firmware while I was in the process of reflashing a tt685-f for my Fuji system.

For casual shooting I’m actually really pleased with adapted canon glass. For more serious stuff I definitely need native glass.

sponsored links

7,385 views & 77 likes for this thread
Switching to Mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.