Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 21 Feb 2018 (Wednesday) 00:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Replacing My G1X M2

hemang
105 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 21, 2018 00:51 |  #1

I have earlier used G1X M1 and was using the G1X M2 since past few years but it's got damaged and I need to replace it, hence need some suggestion.

I am just a regular family photographer, mostly taking pictures during family trips. I like to take potraits (bokeh effect) and normally take pictures of places / monuments along with family members. The best memory of any place is with us in the picture. Also like to take pictures of nature and landscape.

Having used SLR cameras in the past, I would like to get good quality pictures. I opted for the G1X as I was tired of lugging the SLR along, so I am not very enthusiastic about large size. I was very happy with the image quality of the Canon, I like it's neutral colors. Only drawback was slow focus and no zoom to speak of.

Now I need a replacement

I am not sure I would like to use a DSLR due to large size but mirrorless cameras seem interesting.

I am looking at

Canon EOS M3

Canon EOS M100

Sony Alpha A6000Y with 16-50 and 55-210mm lenses. Again I am not a big fan of interchanging lenses but the camera has very good reviews

I also liked the specs of Sony Alpha A68K with 18-135mm lens. Is more expensive than I had budgeted but seems to be ideal combination.

I don't really need 4K video or touch screen or fancy WiFi / NFC. Just need a good image quality better than G1X.

Can everyone please suggest from above or other camera

===============
Proud owner of the G1X
===============

yellowt2
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2018 17:33 |  #2

hemang wrote in post #18568786 (external link)
. I like to take potraits (bokeh effect) and normally take pictures of places / monuments along with family members.

The Sony A68 is a DSLR, so that's what you're trying to avoid.

Any of those other options will work fine for places/monuments; for getting the "bokeh effect" bigger is often better.

I would recommend one of the mirrorless options with an 18-135mm lens for general use and a 50mm f/1.8 for portraits.
Something like an A6000 is perfect for me (I actually have an A6500). Sony just came out with an 18-135mm, which is good since you don't like changing lenses.
Canon's recent mirrorless options are also competitive, although the smaller ones don't have a viewfinder, which bothers me.
Fuji also makes a very good APS-C mirrorless lineup.

There are also quite a few very good "point-and-shoot" style cameras with 1" sensors that will be smaller than the crop-sensor mirrorless, although the most have a limited zoom range like the G1X. For more zoom range something like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 (TZ100) could be a good choice. None of these will give you as much background blur as a crop sensor camera and fast lens, and low-light image quality will be worse.

hemang
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by hemang.

Feb 23, 2018 04:04 as a reply to  @ yellowt2's post |  #3

Thanks for the suggestions. Probably going to go for A6000

Edit : How about G5X or G3X, would those also be good?

===============
Proud owner of the G1X
===============

yellowt2
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2018 11:28 as a reply to  @ hemang's post |  #4

Personally I love viewfinders, and pretty much refuse to use a camera without one. My problem with the Canon compacts is the viewfinder; the G5X has the viewfinder in the center above the camera, which makes the package much larger and not pocketable, and the G3X doesn't have one (unless you get the optional accessory viewfinder, which then sits on top and has the same problem as the G5X). I much prefer the "viewfinder in the corner" approach of other manufacturers. While the A6000 is a little big to pocket it doesn't have anything sticking up on the top, so it fits OK in my jacket pockets. Smaller cameras like the RX100 (the viewfinder hides in the body) or the Panasonic ZS100 slide into pockets much more easily.

If you're fine without a viewfinder then the G3X looks like a good option for a travel camera; it has a very nice zoom range, and the lack of a viewfinder allows for a larger rear LCD!

If you have a decent camera/electronics store near you then my best advice is to go look at the cameras in person and see what size/shape fits what you're looking for. Just looking at pictures on the internet can be misleading sometimes; nothing replaces actually holding the cameras in your hand!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

359 views & 2 likes for this thread
Replacing My G1X M2
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.