Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 23 Feb 2018 (Friday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting back,. 6d or 77d??

viper91180
243 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 23, 2018 23:41 |  #1

Hey all, after several years away from a camera I want to get back into it, ive got an opportunity to get either one of these camera's, mainly will be shooting wildlife, my kids of course, scenery on my travels and definatly motorsports, and hockey. I've always wanted a full frame, let me know what you think!

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,232 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 24, 2018 00:12 |  #2

I really like FF, but 77D may be better for the fast moving sports you mentioned.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Bassat.

Feb 24, 2018 00:38 |  #3

The difference between full frame and aps-c is over-stated. The more cameras advance, the less the divide becomes. Buy a camera with the features you want/need. Sensor size is mostly not a determining factor. I've had a boat-load of digital cameras, from Rebels, through all of the ASP-h bodies, to the 5Dc and 6D. Right now, my only digital body is the 80D. I am happy with that. If I were going to upgrade to a full frame, it would be the 1DX, which I can't afford... right now.

drmaxx
986 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 24, 2018 01:02 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18570911 (external link)
The difference between full frame and aps-c is over-stated. The more cameras advance, the less the divide becomes. Buy a camera with the features you want/need.

This!

Donate if you love POTN

DesolateMirror
302 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 24, 2018 05:15 |  #5

The APSC sensor on the 77d will give you more reach which is great when it comes to sports, wildlife or anything that is tricky to get really close to, this also means lenses are a lot cheaper for an equivalent focal length compared to full frame. More megapixels, better FPS and focusing system (depending on use), tilty flippy screen thing, 230 g lighter, a lot cheaper, etc. The main benefit of the 6D is the great ISO response. Being able to use high ISO when you're shooting indoors or wildlife is great but it's no use if you can't keep focus.

This might help: http://cameradecision.​com …n-EOS-77D-vs-Canon-EOS-6D (external link)

Do you already have canon lenses or prefer canon over other brands? There's a lot of cameras in a similar price bracket and some great ones if you go with used, eg. 7D mark II.

viper91180
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2018 07:55 |  #6

I've only got a couple low end Canon lenses right now, I do prefer canon. The price isn't really an issue for these units as I picked these models based on a reward program through work, there was a bunch of rebels and Nikon as well but these to were what im interested in. Initially my pick was the 77d, then I seen the 6d and since I had always wanted a FF, the struggle began lol. I also realize the 77d is a much newer model so that's on my mind as well, nice thing is, since I won't have to pay for the body, lens expense will be easier to justify. Either way they will be light years ahead of my last camera, the rebel xti

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,311 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 24, 2018 21:14 |  #7

The difference between full frame and aps-c is over-stated. The more cameras advance, the less the divide becomes. Buy a camera with the features you want/need. Sensor size is mostly not a determining factor. I've had a boat-load of digital cameras, from Rebels, through all of the ASP-h bodies, to the 5Dc and 6D. Right now, my only digital body is the 80D. I am happy with that. If I were going to upgrade to a full frame, it would be the 1DX, which I can't afford... right now.

This.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 24, 2018 22:02 |  #8

I had a 6D a few years ago, and it was a great camera. That said, I've just come back to Canon from Fuji, and I got the 77D. Why? For me, it was the best option right now. I prefer teh size and weight, it has a longer reach, a newer processor, and more megapixels. It feels like much newer technology than the 6D. And the newer Ef-S lenses are much quicker and have better image quality than older ones. I'm really pleased. As always, YMMV...

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

viper91180
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2018 22:19 |  #9

As much as I always wanted a full frame in the past, after reviewing reviews and comparisons, I think the 77 may be the winner!

viper91180
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2018 08:20 |  #10

Im also looking at a zoom lens, as I've only got an 18-55 and 75-200 when I was shooting lots I had rented a 600l zoom lenses, and while I loved it, it was a tad pricy for me, I do have access to a Tamron A011 SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon via the same workplace points program in getting the body from. What's all your opinions on this?

DesolateMirror
302 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 25, 2018 21:28 |  #11

I'm not sure how the points program works but There's a G2 version of the 150-600mm now that is a bit better, the first version should have had it's price reduced quite a bit (or points), not sure if you can check that.

The first version is a decent lens, not amazing, but if you want amazing @500mm+ it's going to cost A LOT. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1348082 this thread has 500 pages of discussion and samples if you want to check it out.

The first version Tamron is probably one of the cheapest lenses up to 600mm, if you wanted something a bit better there's the Tamron G2 or Sigma.

Do they have any 100-400 options? On a crop sensor (I think canon is 1.6?) 600mm is equivalent to 960mm, 400mm is equivalent to 640mm, your 200mm will be equivalent to 320mm.

viper91180
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by viper91180.

Feb 26, 2018 10:42 |  #12

Interesting, thanks for your review when. I was googling the lens, it was the second gen that was coming up, the points program has limited items, while there's lots of items most are just not what im looking for, but there is the option to convert them to amazon gift cards and that looks like a more economical way to go anyways. For instance something that will cost 250000 points can be purchased from canon on amazon for about 175000 points to get the equivalent amazon dollar value. Thanks for the info it has helped!!

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,740 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 26, 2018 23:17 |  #13

6d would definitely be the "wrong" camera body to purchase for wildlife, motor sports etc.

If you were comparing the 77d to 6D as far as IQ is concerned especially in low light...hands down the 6d would be an absolute clear winner for slower moving subjects that is non sports or fast action. Slap a killer affordable gem EF35 f/2IS on a 6d the images would be fantastic. Put that same prime on the 77d/80D and the images will be very good and on print it'd be hard to tell between the 6D and 77d. Except that a f/2 lens on a full frame still has more "pop" than a crop sensor.

I can shoot my 5dmk3 and 80D. Can I tell the difference between the two using my 70-200 f/2.8IS mk2????? yes the two camera's render differently and I prefer the full frame. Actually I find images from my 80d with 70-200 to be great with extra "reach" due to crop factor.

Generalizing crop vs FF is dangerous as we all have opinions. I would say a nikon d850 image quality from the high megapixel FF sensor destroys the 77d/80d crop sensor. When I demand high IQ with full confidence I'd grab my 5dmk3 or 5dmk4 before even touching my 80D crop sensor. I actually prefer Fuji's crop sensor over the Canon 80D. Still grab the 80D over my Fuji when I demand rock solid AF though.... However I'll have to admit the 77d/80d sensor has got to be Canon's best attempt in creating the "best" canon crop sensor to this date in time.

I guess my point is comparing a canon 24MP crop sensor to a Sony/Nikon/Canon high megapixel full frame sensor is a VERY BIG jump in IQ. Even my 30MP 5dmk4 seems to have a very noticeable jump in image quality over my 5dmk3 lower megapixel full frame sensor.

I would say if you are not comparing the 77D to 6D files for events work or slower moving subjects you will be incredibly pleased with both bodies. Purely between the two I'd say the 77D is the "best" choice due to better AF system while sacrificing image quality and low light performance. I'd surely pick the 6d for better image quality as long as the AF can keep up.

If you had the opportunity to buy a low mileage 5dmk3 you can get a decent performing sports, wildlife, portrait body that is more versatile than a Canon 6d. The 77d/80D would actually be able to pull shadow's better than the 5d3/6d. I still would prefer the FF over my 80D. There is something about cramming 24 mega pixels on the Canon sensor giving a smoother transition look. This is where I find my 24mp canon sensor to have similar render to my Fuji except the 80D has "canon colour signature".

Between the 77d and 6D I will agree that the Canon crop sensor body wins for univeral application and value.

I totally disagree that a current 24MP Canon crop sensor can truly be on par with a modern high megapixel Full frame sensor. If you ask even a Canon 5dsR owner that an 80D/77D has little difference between the two bodies they would be shocked in such a statement.

I use Fuji and Canon crop sensor and full frames. I can see a difference but if your printing digital files that is where you can play on a level field. If your comparing high iso images I'd still say the FF sensor will have an advantage in most cases.

The 6d limiting factor to be defined as a Universal application body would be the autofocus. This is where the 77D has the biggest improvement and advantage.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,740 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by AlanU.

Feb 26, 2018 23:25 |  #14

You cannot truly make a generalized statement. Comparing a 24MP canon crop sensor to a full frame 42 megapixel Sony, Nikon D850 45MP sensor is still comparing a crop sensor. The 5dsR which is a 50MP sensor cannot be the same level of IQ to an 80D/77d.

When camera's advance it's across the board with all sensors from small 1 inch cmos to Medium format. Technology spreads the love to everything :)

I can see a noticeable difference between my 5dmk4 with 70-200 f/2.8IS mk2 vs my 80D using the same lens. I will say I like my 80D image quality but if your on the topic of "differences" there is definitely a difference between the two. If your a master in post processing you can do wonders!!! That being said if you can tweak a crop sensor image file to look fantastic you can also improve a modern high MP sensor to look killer too!!

I guess the key words is "happiness" with the results.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

viper91180
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2018 09:41 |  #15

Interesting! I actually did some more research last night and had considered the 80d due to its weatherproof body, other than that it seems pretty similar to the 77d? Or am I wrong here

sponsored links

1,362 views & 2 likes for this thread
Getting back,. 6d or 77d??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.