Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 25 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worth the trade? Canon Lenses for A7R ii & Lenses?

e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by e r y k.

Feb 25, 2018 20:43 |  #1

Hey all,

I'm sure a similar thread like this pops up every week. I'm looking to get a second opinion / another perspective on this in case my judgement has been clouded :P
I am strictly a hobbyist photog, with an occasional gig here and there... but mainly I am in it for fun / enjoyment. I have shot canon all my life.

Currently I have:
5d mk3
50 1.2L
16-35 2.8L ii
70-200 2.8L ii IS

There is a trade offer on the table for me to go to for the following:

A7R ii
FE 55 f1.8
FE 16-35 f4
28 f2

At first glance it seems like a no brainer, however the equipment in question is has signs of it being "well loved."
Missing paint, some dings / scratches. Functionally its perfect, but aesthetically speaking... it has seen better days.

-----
Due to the condition of the items, there has been discussion of me keeping my 5d mk3, and just trading the lenses for the sony kit listed above.

Is this something I should do? I really thing the AF system on the sony is something I could use.

Thanks for reading / any advice!

Canon EOS 5Dmk3 //

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,837 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Feb 25, 2018 20:58 |  #2

I wouldn't. A7rII used is cheap ($1500 something, I could be wrong, maybe it is more). And you moving to slower lenses and no 70-200mm f2.8 zoom. What you missing with 5dmk3? Not denying nice Face/Eye detect on the Sony but I would look at A7RIII with nice primes, zooms but then lot more $$$.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

tdlavigne
329 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 25, 2018 21:12 |  #3

I'd probably keep the Canon myself.

The 16-35's are probably a wash IQ wise (Sony slightly sharper, but Canon a stop brighter), the 50's are more up to personal preference (epic rendering of the L, vs the clinical sharpness of the Sony). 28mm f2 looks nice from what I've seen but there's no replacing the Canon 70-200mm. If you want to jump to Sony I think you could get way better just by selling the Canon gear yourself. On the used market locally you've got about 5k worth of gear there...I just checked the prices of all the Sony gear brand new with the current rebates and it only comes out to $4967....so yeah...no way I'd do that trade.

Marc ­ Bergreen
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 03, 2018 12:58 |  #4

Seems sort of reasonable but I think you’re loosing a bit swapping the 70-200 fo the 28. Though a trade is a lot less hassle than buying/selling used. Would prob save a lot of time if you like the Sony kit!

Marc Bergreen
Colorado Adventure Wedding Photographer (external link)
Colorado Mountain Wedding Photographer (external link)

Chewieindc
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 30, 2018 15:13 |  #5

I'd stick with the Canon setup. If it were mint condition for same, it might make the choice harder, especially if you are already wanting to make the Sony jump. But the gotchas you describe in this case make it less compelling. You could probably sell what you have for cash and buy into a reasonable Sony setup in better condition that what is currently on offer.

Sony A7III G24-105
6D 24-35 (Sigma), 24-105, 70-200
60D 10-22, 24-105, 50, 18-200
EOS M3 11-22, 22, 18-55, 55-200, 18-200 (Tamron)

ShutterKlick
287 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 20 days ago by ShutterKlick.

May 30, 2018 16:03 |  #6

Im going to make someone upset, but if you eliminate the Sony hype, would you keep the Canon? I almost took the dive away from Nikon to go mirrorless. In the end, I went with a D7500 and am glad I did. I was 100% sold on switching over.. my lust for Sony is documented on the forum. After close inspection of the IQ of my A6000 images, and reviewing the actual performance of the camera, Vs. the projected promised, it fell short. Very short.

I cant tell you what to do, but I would urge you to meditate on the subject.

This video was a sour watch while I lusted for mirrorless. In the end.. it was so true. (YMMV)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=PCLAAa_WHq0&​t=3s (external link)

HTH,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

simonbarker
179 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 19 days ago by simonbarker.

May 31, 2018 10:42 |  #7

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18635984 (external link)
This video was a sour watch while I lusted for mirrorless. In the end.. it was so true. (YMMV)

When that video came out two years ago sure but it's not relevant to today's equipment.

ShutterKlick
287 posts
Joined Oct 2017

May 31, 2018 19:27 as a reply to  @ simonbarker's post |  #8

Ohh Kayy

Ill keep telling myself that until I believe it. :-) I just mentioned.. that I recently tried mirrorless, and that video was valid today same as when it was produced.

Now, I have not tried an a7iii myself, but.. I did mention that I did the a6000 thing and the hype was pushed a little hard IMHO.

Thats all-

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,442 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 01, 2018 10:14 |  #9

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18636824 (external link)
Ohh Kayy

Ill keep telling myself that until I believe it. :-) I just mentioned.. that I recently tried mirrorless, and that video was valid today same as when it was produced.

Now, I have not tried an a7iii myself, but.. I did mention that I did the a6000 thing and the hype was pushed a little hard IMHO.

Thats all-

A6000 is 3 generations old now. Not even close to reality. I’d at least try the latest cameras a6500, A73 or A7R3 before commenting on the over hype.

ShutterKlick
287 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Jun 01, 2018 14:03 |  #10

Hogloff wrote in post #18637143 (external link)
A6000 is 3 generations old now. Not even close to reality. I’d at least try the latest cameras a6500, A73 or A7R3 before commenting on the over hype.

Notation taken...

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links

717 views & 1 like for this thread
Worth the trade? Canon Lenses for A7R ii & Lenses?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.