Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you"
Run like hell
17.6%
Stand still and let it trot pass you
35.3%
Move off the path hoping it will ignore you
35.3%
Carry on walking towards it
5.9%
Look for a tree to climb
5.9%

17 voters, 17 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Would You Do?

PCousins
576 posts
Gallery: 251 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by PCousins.

Feb 26, 2018 00:58 |  #1

I was out on my own in the Forest of Dean (UK) in the middle of nowhere looking for hawfinches to photograph, trotting towards me was a huge wild boar. I didn't expect it or have time to think. The first time I've ever seen one. My initial response with a camera in my hand was to take a picture. I believe I made the right choice of one of the 5 above.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,143 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 26, 2018 01:17 |  #2

PCousins wrote in post #18572364 (external link)
I was out on my own in the Forest of Dean (UK) in the middle of nowhere looking for hawfinches to photograph, trotting towards me was a huge wild boar. I didn't expect it or have time to think. The first time I've ever seen one. My initial response with a camera in my hand was to take a picture. I believe I made the right choice.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by PCousins in
./showthread.php?p=185​72364&i=i107793768
forum: Wildlife

I would have stood straight in front of it, raised the index finger of my right hand, and then in the finest Barbara Woodhouse tradition said "sit!".

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,618 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 26, 2018 01:39 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18572375 (external link)
I would have stood straight in front of it, raised the index finger of my right hand, and then in the finest Barbara Woodhouse tradition said "sit!".

your profile pic says it :P

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 26, 2018 10:01 |  #4

PCousins wrote in post #18572364 (external link)
My initial response with a camera in my hand was to take a picture. I believe I made the right choice of one of the 5 above.

But, unfortunately, none of your 5 choices speak of taking a picture. . So yes, you made the right choice, but your choice is not included amongst the 5 options you gave us to choose from. . I find it unusual that, this being a photography forum, none of the poll options include anything about photographing the boar ....... which, of course, is what most of us here would do.

I would quickly get down on the ground prone, so as to shoot it from the lowest position possible (it doesn't look like simply kneeling would be low enough). . Then I'd move my active autofocus point way off center (as it looks like the OP did). . Then I'd get that AF point on the boar's forehead and start shooting away, zooming out as he approaches, hoping to get a few perfect frames before the angle became too acute for a successful composition.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,804 posts
Gallery: 1958 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Pondrader.

Feb 26, 2018 21:09 |  #5

Run like a girl screaming at the top of my lungs .......lol OK No..I would have been on Toms right causing him to lean real heavy on his buffer.. Just as I lean on mine.
O and I hope they fix that problem with the 7DIII. unlimited raw would be nice.

I pick six... lay down in the hogs path shooting at a slightly upward angle as the pig chooses its left or right arch around me.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
381 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 26, 2018 23:50 |  #6

Looks a little on the small side..........still could give you a nasty graze though.

THESE are the ones to look out for, and you definitely want/need a big enough TREE CLOSE BY or a serious stopping machine!!

IMAGE: http://www.gunsmokeadventures.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC_0053.jpg
(Wild Boar - Australia)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 27, 2018 00:00 |  #7

Butts wrote in post #18573278 (external link)
Looks a little on the small side..........still could give you a nasty graze though.

When Cousins said "huge wild boar", that is what I was thinking it was - an honestly huge boar about the size of yours. . But to me it does look much smaller than yours.

Who knows? . Maybe Cousin's boar really is huge, and it's just the angle that makes it look smallish.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
381 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 27, 2018 01:00 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18573281 (external link)
When Cousins said "huge wild boar", that is what I was thinking it was - an honestly huge boar about the size of yours. . But to me it does look much smaller than yours.

Who knows? . Maybe Cousin's boar really is huge, and it's just the angle that makes it look smallish.

Tom, it could be. If that was the case, then I change my selection to "RUN LIKE HELL" & "LOOK FOR A TREE TO CLIMB"!!!

PCousins
THREAD ­ STARTER
576 posts
Gallery: 251 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 27, 2018 14:13 |  #9

Butts boar is a monster, my boar was about the size of an overweight Alsatian dog but it was moving fast.

Gear List

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
381 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 27, 2018 23:04 as a reply to  @ PCousins's post |  #10

PC, then still big enough to be very wary of.

sirbridge
203 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2018 05:17 |  #11

All this reminds me of an incident I experienced in the bush in Kenya some years ago although I never saw from what I was fleeing ! We were in thick scrub and bushes about shoulder height. The persons I was with realised that there were some rhino in the immediate vicinity although we could not see them. Suddenly there was an 'explosion' of yelling and we fled, having spooked at least one rhino. I tripped over a fallen branch of acacia tree on the ground and the noise of the animal went by me. I got up and went into a nearby tree. Everything quietened down and I looked down and realised that I was only about three feet off the ground in this 'supposed' tree that would not have given me any protection at all. I spent time later removing several acacia thorns from a leg. It obviously makes a great difference if you can see what your danger is and hope that you can avoid it in some way !

Roy G.

sponsored links

794 views & 17 likes for this thread
What Would You Do?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.