Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 08:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did Canon just change the game with the new 470EX-AI ?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,016 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 26, 2018 08:57 |  #1

All you need to do now is know how to use the auto modes

AV mode, auto ISO, set minimum shutter at 1/125 and this makes it bulletproof

Another Nail in the coffin for professional photographers ??? I dont think it helps. Skill sets continue to be replaced with technology

https://www.youtube.co​m …SvAHD1Hw&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,705 posts
Gallery: 1096 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 26, 2018 09:45 |  #2

Looks pretty cool. I like the idea. But, this only applies to bounce speedlites indoors and it's really not that intelligent, it's more of a hand to hold for someone who is terrified by using a speedlite. It will certainly help someone who has zero flash knowledge, or lighting knowledge in general. But they'll outgrow it once they realize what it's doing and how they can do it faster, and make creative/intelligent choices without pre-flashing to figure it out.

How long will those little gears hold up to sand and other particles getting under the lip, grinding away, getting bumped or knocked. How many real photographers don't ever bump or knock their flash heads?

I don't see it replacing experience and skill. It really just helps someone who literally has no clue and just has the flash pointing "up" all the time and never adjust when they change orientation. It doesn't help the user figure out how to not target the dark wood rafter ceiling compared to the clear window wall compared to a dark green wallpaper all in the same room with a bounce does it?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,961 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 26, 2018 10:16 |  #3

Look at how many "Ambient light photographers" there are shooting weddings and other scenarios these days. Why?...........They don't know how to use flash.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,331 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2018 10:23 |  #4

Nick5 wrote in post #18572593 (external link)
Look at how many "Ambient light photographers" there are shooting weddings and other scenarios these days. Why?...........They don't know how to use flash.

And with this new flash, they still won't!!!

There is zero chance this will even amount to a finishing nail in photog's coffin.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Nick5
Goldmember
2,961 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 26, 2018 10:30 |  #5

I look at the product as a way to help the people that need that extra nudge to step up to the plate. The other 80% ambient light photographers are sitting at the far end of the dugout trying not to be seen by the manager peeing their pants.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 26, 2018 10:50 |  #6

Does seem niche to me. A photographer who's beginning to learn flash, should begin to learn scenarios for bounce flash angles and direct flash pretty quickly. As for the semi-auto mode which Canon is claiming that pros can use, I haven't ever forgotten to change my flash angle when I've changed my camera direction. Chances are I'm recomposing and may want a different direction anyway. I also now am in the Canon RT ecosystem, so I am not part of the demographic for this product.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

mike1812
316 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2018 11:04 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #7

Yeah, this is definitely targeted toward the novice. No RT wireless capability and no port for a battery pack - I bet this thing chews up AA's like a kid through Halloween candy. I read on Petapixel (I think?) that this flash also struggles with bounce when it's trying to measure off a colored ceiling.

1DX | EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | plus too many doodads to list

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2018 21:08 |  #8

To low powered to truly be of interest to professionals, not yet sophisticated enough to be of value to professionals...but maybe it is the beginning of a new generation of flash capabilities which grow in sophistication and utility in conjunction with the camera bodies designed to exploit its capabilities (today, only two bodies work well with its features).

And like other technologies, it may continue to need the knowledgeable professional (or knowledgeable enthusiast) in order to exploit fully what it can do one day, and it also can be beneficial to increase the use of flash units by know-nothing snapshooters.

Exposure Automation started out as the amateur's tool, and progressively grew in sophistication to where even professionals use it (and use it to better effect than snapshooters).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 26, 2018 21:21 |  #9

Seems like a solution to a problem that never existed. I never once thought "wow I wish this process was more automated" when bouncing flash.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 27, 2018 23:31 |  #10

jptsr1 wrote:
Seems like a solution to a problem that never existed. I never once thought "wow I wish this process was more automated" when bouncing flash.

I just saw another video. I think we may be prematurely and unnecessarily harsh in judgement about this flash technology.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18574172

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bigVinnie
835 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2018 11:06 |  #11

Wonder what it will do the first time someone slaps some tupperware on the top of it?

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 28, 2018 11:24 |  #12

bigVinnie wrote in post #18574465 (external link)
Wonder what it will do the first time someone slaps some tupperware on the top of it?

Well, for the semiautomatic mode, once you set a specific aiming, when you reorient the camera Portrait/Landscape is will simply replicate the aiming.

For the automatic mode, it fires at the subject and then one upward and calculates the 'right' bounce angle (assuming a simple rectangular box of a room), and so it will see zero difference between the two results,
what it does in that identical-result circumstance we need to see what the programming says it should do.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2018 11:35 |  #13

Nick5 wrote in post #18572593 (external link)

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18572599 (external link)
And with this new flash, they still won't!!!

There is zero chance this will even amount to a finishing nail in photog's coffin.

Exactly. If i had my way I'd be 90% flash photography and 10% natural. Doesn't always work that way.

But mastering lighting is the sure fire way to pull ahead of most of the wanna be.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2018 11:37 |  #14

But ya... this will help alot of newb moms with cameras get better photos.

In the end... they will sell big amounts of them because the "mass market" are people who see DSLR as the best IQ because it's what the pro use and they know the pro use the flash but they have zero idea how to use it. My neighbor has a BRAND NEW 430exII and she hasn't touched it in 6 years.

Canon will make money... they will build a stronger customer base. I think it's smart on their part.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,853 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by RPCrowe. (3 edits in all)

Feb 28, 2018 14:27 |  #15

The things that are missing in this flash are the responsibility of Mrs. Nakamura. Who is she? Well she's the lady who cleans the restrooms in the Canon headquarters. She moonlights as the director of R&D and Marketing for Canon. They wanted to name the 6D Mark II as the "6D Nakamura" in honor or the things that are missing from this camera. But, she was too shy to let them do that:twisted:

Mrs. Nakamura just cannot figure out who is supposed to buy the items she develops and just what these people need.-?

The results are concoctions like the 6D Mark II and the 470EX-AI that have lots of things going for them but are missing out on lots of other things.:-D

One thing is certain, Mrs. Komura of Nikon and Mrs. Takahashi of Sony are staying up late at night (after the toilets have been cleaned) to decide what to offer in competition with the new Canon flash.:rolleyes:

Mrs. Komura is opting for an expresso maker in their next camera but, Mrs. Takahashi states that an espresso maker is too Italian and is pulling for a sushi maker for her cameras. The only problem is that they cannot find a Japanese Sushi chef small enough to be included in the new Sony 7777RX2088 :p

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,546 views & 22 likes for this thread
Did Canon just change the game with the new 470EX-AI ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.