Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is This Lens Fungus?

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 26, 2018 11:28 |  #1

Hi All,
I recently purchased a lens from eBay, and it got here today. I noticed some specs down inside the lens, and was wondering - is this lens fungus? And if it is, can it be spread to other lenses in my bag? :eek:
Thanks for your advice!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links
ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 02, 2018 08:49 |  #2

It could be. If it is it will spread inside that lens. Best bet is the send it to Canon for a C&C. Call support 1 (800) 652-2666
If it gets too bad it may not or even can't be fixed.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,093 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2018 09:33 |  #3

Hard to tell, could be but almost looks like water spots from hard water. Is it on the inside?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,093 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2018 09:33 |  #4

COuld also be dust. Pic a bit blurry.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Patrick ­ H
116 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 04, 2018 19:32 |  #5

looks like dust. Try stopping down and take another pic.

5D mkIV | 35Lii | 135L | + some zooms.

txsizzler
75 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 04, 2018 19:37 |  #6

Like others have said, its hard to tell... I am thinking either dust, maybe paint flaking (could be the inner shell spots we are seeing). Fungus usually looks more like a thick spider web, even in small spots, with thin, long arms that reach out from the main spot. I am not seeing that here, but the photo isn't very clear either.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 04, 2018 20:38 |  #7

Without a macro scaled image of the specs, we'll never know, because most of the "spots" are lost to out of focus area due choices made when choosing focal-ratio on this shot. Would have been easier to discern things at F8 here...

That said, we cannot tell. Like others mentioned. They're just spots at this scale. Maybe consider producing a more telling image of the problem?

Here's some out of control fungus:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14231557877_ecccf0a754_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFAs​kx  (external link) IMG_5474 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

txsizzler
75 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 05, 2018 06:22 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #18577749 (external link)
Without a macro scaled image of the specs, we'll never know, because most of the "spots" are lost to out of focus area due choices made when choosing focal-ratio on this shot. Would have been easier to discern things at F8 here...

That said, we cannot tell. Like others mentioned. They're just spots at this scale. Maybe consider producing a more telling image of the problem?

Here's some out of control fungus:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFAs​kx  (external link) IMG_5474 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

Yes, this is the "spider web" effect I am talking about, and how the long strands branch out. Not seeing that in the OP's photos, but then again their photos aren't very clear.

Great example of fungus though, MalVeauX!

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by puttick.

Mar 07, 2018 05:48 |  #9

No, it's just dust. Don't worry about it, and you won't see it in any images. It can easily be cleaned if you ever have the lens serviced. Dust is generally only visible when its on the sensor, though a large piece of debris on the back element of a lens may show if stopped down to say f16.

If you're buying a lens that has some dust, it can be used to bargain the price down a little.

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

D. ­ Vance
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by D. Vance.

Mar 07, 2018 06:11 |  #10

Thanks for the replies - I have been pretty busy, but I will try to get a better photo of it. Thanks for the information thus far! (And yes, the specs are on the inside.)

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links

2,386 views & 1 like for this thread
Is This Lens Fungus?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.