Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 05:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7 III (price drop) vs A7RII ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by CanonYouCan.

Feb 27, 2018 05:52 |  #1

My friend just notifies me there is also a A7 III (didn't even look at this one) as I would buy the A7R2 soon
https://petapixel.com …ll-frame-mirrorless-1999/ (external link)

What are the most important differences between the 2, not only the megapixels and the longest battery life I guess :) ?
I already ordered a Metabones V, for me the eye-AF is important (for modelshootings) and the rest will probably be about the same EVF,... ?
I don't find any real comparison between the 2, but my maximum budget on Ebay is €1700 grey import.

Which one would you prefer ?

No Cam (A7 III soon) | Metabones V | 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by BrickR.

Feb 28, 2018 04:03 |  #2

Do you need the extra megapixels? A72
Would you prefer 2 SD card slots? A73
Would you prefer a faster, updated AF system? A73
Would you prefer a battery that will last all day? A73
Would you prefer a joystick on the back? A73
Better ISO? A73
Better ergonomics (bigger grip)? A73
Improved color science? A73

I'd get the A73 all day over the A7R2 if it was me, but mostly I was just pointing out that there are a few more differences between the two than battery and MP ;)
Happy shopping!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

archfotos
107 posts
Joined May 2016

Mar 04, 2018 07:46 |  #3

Having used the A7r2 for the past two years I personally believe a lot of the negatives are over emphasized internet forum hype. I've never had trouble with my batteries. Yes I change them throughout the day but I and the talent also need a break as well and I've used the camera on many filming projects where we've been filming for many hours straight. Having dual card slots, maybe nice but another internet over hype. It wasn't too long ago I was shooting assignments with only 36 frames of film before I needed to reload. Seems like an added element that could create a mixup.

I will say the improved AF would be nice, however I am a firm believer not to buy any electronics, computers, etc.. for at least three months after it's been released. It does seem like we are beta testers for everything anymore.

The one reason I still would choose the A7r2 over the a73 is because personally when shooting talent, portraits, and lifestyle I am always finding the need to crop / change the reach of the lens via using the in-body super 35 crop. I had to use the A7S over the summer, you could not crop with it - it was a pain.

DC Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony A7 III (price drop) vs A7RII ?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.