Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7III

kekane
83 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by kekane.

Feb 27, 2018 07:57 |  #1

I don't own any Sony mirrorless cameras...YET. I've been considering making the switch from Canon to Sony for some time now and Sony's A7III announcement just made it easier. I've been reading/watching threads on A9 and A7RIII...but have been patiently waiting for this latest announcement.

I'm hoping this thread will allow Sony A7III users/owners to share their experiences (good/bad/ugly).

Specs:

- 24MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
- 693 phase-detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93% image coverage
- Up to 10fps Silent or Mechanical Shutter with AE/AF tracking
- UHD 4K30p Video with HLG & S-Log3 Gammas
- 2.36m-Dot Tru-Finder OLED EVF
- 3.0" 922k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization, 5-step shutter speed advantage
- 15-stop dynamic range, 14-bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800
- Built-In Wi-Fi and NFC, Dual SD Slots
- USB Type-C Port, Weather-Sealed Design
- Battery: 710 (LCD) shots per charge, 610 (EVF)

sponsored links
Dlee13
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2018 00:53 |  #2

I was hoping to save for a A7R III but this seems like a much more affordable option.

I felt like the A7RII had a lot more appeal to it compared to the 7II, but with the RIII and 7III I wouldn't really feel like I'm settling for a lesser option. Will be interesting to see how it performs with adapted lenses.

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,727 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Feb 28, 2018 01:18 |  #3

Dlee13 wrote in post #18574197 (external link)
I was hoping to save for a A7R III but this seems like a much more affordable option.

I felt like the A7RII had a lot more appeal to it compared to the 7II, but with the RIII and 7III I wouldn't really feel like I'm settling for a lesser option. Will be interesting to see how it performs with adapted lenses.

a7 III looks to be a stunning camera that breaks all the rules for a so-called base model FF camera. The only shortcoming I can think of (compared to a7R III) is that it doesn’t have the upgraded EVF, which is in the a9 and a7R III. As an a7R II owner I’ve not experience the improved EVF and I’m going to be happy to add the a7 III as my second camera. EVF aside, the specs are incredible for a camera at this price.

I think you’ll be really pleased with the AF on your Canon lenses. Definitely an extremely helpful way to slide into a new system. Although I have been using the a7 series since early 2014, I didn’t finally switch my lenses to native until a year ago.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2018 02:36 |  #4

David Arbogast wrote in post #18574204 (external link)
a7 III looks to be a stunning camera that breaks all the rules for a so-called base model FF camera. The only shortcoming I can think of (compared to a7R III) is that it doesn’t have the upgraded EVF, which is in the a9 and a7R III. As an a7R II owner I’ve not experience the improved EVF and I’m going to be happy to add the a7 III as my second camera. EVF aside, the specs are incredible for a camera at this price.

I think you’ll be really pleased with the AF on your Canon lenses. Definitely an extremely helpful way to slide into a new system. Although I have been using the a7 series since early 2014, I didn’t finally switch my lenses to native until a year ago.

Yeah the EVF and frame rate (I don't really care about that so not a downside for me) seem to be the only shortcomings. I don't have any experience with Sony's EVF at all but I'm sure the A7 III EVF would still be good enough.

I pretty much never shoot any fast action stuff, mostly long exposures and the occasional portrait (eye AF is a big appeal for me). I'm actually hoping to eventually have two kits, the Sony one with maybe the 28mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8 and the Canon FF Mirrorless when it is eventually released. I definitely think native is better but Sony lenses are quite pricey.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 28, 2018 03:44 |  #5

*edit: I realized I rambled on QUITE a while, so skip to the bottom for my on target contribution to this thread LOL!*

The A7iii will probably spell the end for Canon cameras for me now. I have had an A6500 for about 7 months now, and no native Sony lenses yet. I have a Metabones Ultra speed booster so all of my Canon lenses AF and I have an almost FF FOV with my lenses. I don't have eye AF with any of them but AF is quick and reliable. Face detection works. The menus on the A6500 are still not the most user friendly but I didn't get a headache dealing with the camera like I did when I rented an A99 for a weekend. Overall I'm happy with it, although I did get the 3rd party grip, not just for the extra battery (I WISH they did it like Fuji so you have 3 batteries in the camera), the grip just really helps making it more comfortable to hold.

I was very intrigued by the performance of the A7Riii but there was no way I was dealing with 42mp files. After seeing lots of Youtube videos of people showing that their Canon glass will not only AF, but will eye AF with the A7Riii, it means the A7iii will do just as well, and probably a little better. That helps, especially with the amount Sony charges for their native lenses! Ouch. I can see myself slowly transitioning my glass purchases over to Sony now.

I'll wait a few months, but I'm 99% sure I'll be purchasing an A7iii by the end of 2018, and most likely in the Oct time frame, before holiday photo sessions start kicking up! I own a couple of 6d's because they do what I need: good ISO, DOF control, the usual FF advantages...but it was an almost $2k camera when it came out and it only has one real AF point. I deal with it because I don't need/want the extra weight/features of the 5d series...but I never fooled myself about how the 6d was Nancy Kerrigan'd by Canon. I got them second hand so I'm looking at minimal loss when I sell. Not to mention, what I paid felt much more in line with what the camera was worth compared to MSRP ;)

If Sony puts a swivel screen on the A6500 successor, or even an A5xxx, I'll be done with Canon bodies. No swivel screen and not implementing touch screen all the way are pretty much the only real deals now for me. Mostly just because they are pretty "easy" fixes that would make the A6xxx series seriously hard to beat for bloggers/Youtubers.

Wow, I just realized how much I rambled on! My apologies! LOL! In conclusion, YES I am excited about the A73 and will be getting one. It looks like it is going to be really hard to beat when it comes to what you get for your money :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

kekane
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Feb 28, 2018 06:02 |  #6

Dlee13 wrote in post #18574197 (external link)

I, too, hope it will perform well with adapted lenses...even though I plan to get rid of all my canon glass for native Sony glass.

kekane
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Feb 28, 2018 06:06 |  #7

David Arbogast wrote in post #18574204 (external link)
The only shortcoming I can think of (compared to a7R III) is that it doesn’t have the upgraded EVF, which is in the a9 and a7R III. As an a7R II owner I’ve not experience the improved EVF and I’m going to be happy to add the a7 III as my second camera. EVF aside, the specs are incredible for a camera at this price.

I have yet to experience EVF performance on a Sony camera. I also have an Olympus EM-5II and love its' EVF, so if the A7III's EVF is similar or better, then it's a win for me.

kekane
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Feb 28, 2018 06:15 |  #8

Dlee13 wrote in post #18574221 (external link)
I'm actually hoping to eventually have two kits, the Sony one with maybe the 28mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8 and the Canon FF Mirrorless when it is eventually released. I definitely think native is better but Sony lenses are quite pricey.

I've actually thought about having two kits as well, but for me, I'd like to keep things simple by converting completely to one "eco" system...Sony.

Now of course, with my luck, after completely moving to Sony, Canon will probably release an awesome FF mirrorless body that will accept their FF lenses. However, I don't see this happening anytime soon. Besides, with Sony continuously pushing the envelope, I don't think Canon will have what Sony will have in the years to come, IMHO.

kekane
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Feb 28, 2018 06:30 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #9

The A7RIII file size also scared me in the beginning, but I later realized that I like to be able to crop. I take a lot of high school marching band photos from stadium bleachers and can't quite get enough reach of band member on the far side of the stadium field with my 70-200 lens.

I'm a "two-camera-body" shooter, so I'm looking to replace my 5dmkIII and 1dxmkII with Sony's equivalent...which is why I've considered A7rIII. But this A7III may fit the bill...especially since I'll have to factor in the cost of Sony lenses.

kekane
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Feb 28, 2018 06:43 |  #10

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=x04JZ6PA6s4 (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,727 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 28, 2018 22:04 |  #11

Gordon Lang here points out that the a7 III shutter is rated at half the life of the a7R IIIs and that some parts that are magnesium on the a7R III are plastic on the a7 III.

This is super minor stuff and won’t impact my decision, but thought it would be good to share here just so everyone knows. Regardless his reciews are always excellent and worth viewing. :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2018 22:13 |  #12

Not very many years ago, when a new camera was announced by a major manufacturer, the thread about it would grow to, like, 15 or 20 pages long in just a day or to.

We now have a top shelf camera release announcement, and we are still on page one, well into the 2nd day? . I don't get it. . What changed?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,727 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by David Arbogast. (5 edits in all)

Feb 28, 2018 22:19 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18574868 (external link)
Not very many years ago, when a new camera was announced by a major manufacturer, the thread about it would grow to, like, 15 or 20 pages long in just a day or to.

We now have a top shelf camera release announcement, and we are still on page one, well into the 2nd day? . I don't get it. . What changed?

We’ve had a lot of a7 III discussions in the Sony Lounge thread.

Also fewer Sony users (than Canon users) here on POTN. On Fred Miranda there is a larger Sony user base and proportionally more a7 III discussion there.

Here’s a 16 page and growing thread: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/15325​47 (external link)

scokar
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by scokar.

Feb 28, 2018 22:25 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #14

There is a lot of discussion here in the Sony lounge thread: https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=148201​7&page=827

There should be more in this thread as well.

Edit: ninja’d. tablets and smartphones really slow me down. :lol:

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,127 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 01, 2018 03:38 |  #15

kekane wrote in post #18574277 (external link)
I, too, hope it will perform well with adapted lenses...even though I plan to get rid of all my canon glass for native Sony glass.

If it has the same AF system as A9 I'm sure it will perform just as well as it.

kekane wrote in post #18574281 (external link)
I've actually thought about having two kits as well, but for me, I'd like to keep things simple by converting completely to one "eco" system...Sony.

Now of course, with my luck, after completely moving to Sony, Canon will probably release an awesome FF mirrorless body that will accept their FF lenses. However, I don't see this happening anytime soon. Besides, with Sony continuously pushing the envelope, I don't think Canon will have what Sony will have in the years to come, IMHO.

I like the idea of two kits but I feel once I do have both, I feel that the cost won
't really back my need for two kits.

David Arbogast wrote in post #18574863 (external link)
Gordon Lang here points out that the a7 III shutter is rated at half the life of the a7R IIIs and that some parts that are magnesium on the a7R III are plastic on the a7 III.

This is super minor stuff and won’t impact my decision, but thought it would be good to share here just so everyone knows. Regardless his reciews are always excellent and worth viewing. :)

From what I've read, replacing a shutter should only be a few hundred so I wouldn't see that as being much of a downside. I'm not sure if it would be different for these mirrorless bodies though.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18574868 (external link)

This forum in general seems a lot more quiet. Even the gear section isn't updated for new bodies and lenses.

sponsored links

48,873 views & 283 likes for this thread
Sony A7III
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.