Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 01 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Modern Full frame or (old) APS-C but modified?

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 01, 2018 08:59 |  #1

I've just started doing a bit of astrophotography (with a Skywatcher Star Adventurer tracking mount, DSLR and lens, no telescope yet).

I've got a 5D4, which is obviously great for wide field of view shots, but in the main I want reach. I have an old 7D (mark I) and I'm wondering if that would make a better choice?

An APS-C crop from the 5D4 is approx 11.5MP (vs 18MP for the 7D frame). Obviously the sensor on the 5D4 is much better than the 7D. However, a CLS filter (https://www.wexphotovi​deo.com …0G4wd-EAQYAiABEgJhefD_BwE (external link)) looks to make quite a difference (https://www.altairastr​o.com …/D/Orion_nebula​-L-Pro.jpg (external link) ), but is only available for APS-C bodies.

Additionally, there's a (reasonably) local company to me that will remove the rear UV/IR Cut and Colour Correction filter from the 7D, for which they claim:

"...removing this filter we can massively improve the camera's red response by up to 4x in the all important Hydrogen Alpha band.

This greatly reduces the amount of time needed to capture those wispy diffuse nebulae, but also brings out more detail in every other astroimage you will take"

So... despite the much better sensor tech on the 5D4, am I likely to be getting better images with a 7D (mark I) + CLS filter + UV/IR filter removal?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Davenn
949 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 04, 2018 02:38 |  #2

sploo wrote in post #18575086 (external link)
Modern Full Frame or old APS-C Modified

I've just started doing a bit of astrophotography (with a Skywatcher Star Adventurer tracking mount, DSLR and lens, no telescope yet).

I've got a 5D4, which is obviously great for wide field of view shots, but in the main I want reach. I have an old 7D (mark I) and I'm wondering if that would make a better choice?

So... despite the much better sensor tech on the 5D4, am I likely to be getting better images with a 7D (mark I) + CLS filter + UV/IR filter removal?

I do both, I have a 5D3 and a 6D FF --- these days the 6D gets more use than the 5D3 for astro work, mainly cuz of it's lesser weight

BUT I bought a 700D ASP-C and modified it myself. Tho I didn't ass any other sort of astro filter, ( maybe one day) it makes a huge difference to the red response
of the camera.
One top feature with the 700D is the swivel LCD screen, no more sore necks when trying to focus objects etc

The 7D cameras are a respectable unit and if you don't mind modding it, go for it
Surely you are not considering modding the 5D4 ? ;-)a

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sploo
THREAD ­ STARTER
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 04, 2018 05:02 |  #3

Davenn wrote in post #18577111 (external link)
I do both, I have a 5D3 and a 6D FF --- these days the 6D gets more use than the 5D3 for astro work, mainly cuz of it's lesser weight

BUT I bought a 700D ASP-C and modified it myself. Tho I didn't ass any other sort of astro filter, ( maybe one day) it makes a huge difference to the red response
of the camera.
One top feature with the 700D is the swivel LCD screen, no more sore necks when trying to focus objects etc

The 7D cameras are a respectable unit and if you don't mind modding it, go for it
Surely you are not considering modding the 5D4 ? ;-)a

Dave

Thanks for the info. Definitely not modding the 5D :)

I suppose I should pull my finger out and just try the unmodified 7D for an evening's shooting, and if it looks acceptable then an IR mod plus CLS filter would then surely make it better than the 5D4 for that application. I don't mind modding the 7D as I don't use it that much now.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

397 views & 1 like for this thread
Modern Full frame or (old) APS-C but modified?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.