Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Mar 2018 (Friday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Proper glue for attaching rubber band of Sekonic L-358

eaglexdr
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Mar 02, 2018 09:45 |  #1

Could this title be any more confusing?
Hey guys,
I recently bought a perfect 2nd hand L-358 with only one problem: The rubber part on the left part lost it's adhesive strength and fell. I tried gluing it using a random quick glue I had laying around my house, but it failed to attach.
I was wondering if anybody knows which kind of glue will be the proper match for it? The rubber part is.. I believe, well, rubbery, and the unit itself seems to be made of Plastic. I emailed Sekonic, but they did not respond.
Photos are attached for easier understanding.

Thank you guys!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Noam.
flickr (external link)
My Gallery (500PX) (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,092 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2018 09:50 |  #2

Contact cement (external link) works well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 02, 2018 10:19 |  #3

E6000 is amazing.

I actually completely nerded out one day and really looked into what was a great, strong as hell glue. E6000 was the answer. I have glued plastic to metal, metal to metal, and fabric to metal. As long as you let it cure for a day it will bond just about anything.

If I had to marry a glue, it would be E6000.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 02, 2018 10:44 |  #4

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18575891 (external link)
E6000 is amazing.

If I had to marry a glue, it would be E6000.

To be never divorced...even not in death. So not a good idea.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 02, 2018 10:52 |  #5

I would examine the seam that joins the halves of the meter shell... If separation of the two, for repair purposes, might ever be needed, my choise of adhesives for the rubber would not be to choose something that i do not feel could be readily 'unstuck' to permit the repair to occur. Contact cement is far too tacky, I would reserve that for never-ever-separate-it (without high heat)

Barge brand cement is something that is fairly strong in adhering things, yet it stays flexible and separable...I have stuck suede onto the soles of rubber-soled shoes used for dancing, they have stuck for years, but then I can peel the worn suede layer off readily, so I can glue on a new layer of suede.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,946 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 02, 2018 12:54 |  #6

You need something with some flexibility perhaps more than strength. Personally I'd suggest using a clear silicon based material. Often caulking is labeled as "adhesive sealant".

Grumpy_one
581 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2018 10:40 |  #7

Having to repair commercial aircraft interiors on the fly (pun intended) we use 2 part epoxy with a 5 minute cure time, or sometimes carpet tape, it's two sided and will stick to anything. Good luck. Make sure both sides are clean before applying glue or tape. Isopropyl alcohol can work in a pinch

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 03, 2018 10:50 |  #8

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18575900 (external link)
To be never divorced...even not in death. So not a good idea.

Ouch.

Although probably better than if I were "stuck" with my ex wife.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

eaglexdr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Mar 04, 2018 06:56 |  #9

Wow, thank you!
I definitely didn't expect so many detailed replies.
I really really appreciate it :) I will now choose a proper adhesive based on your advice. Wish me luck.

Noam.
flickr (external link)
My Gallery (500PX) (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

1,015 views & 1 like for this thread
Proper glue for attaching rubber band of Sekonic L-358
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.