Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Mar 2018 (Friday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from speedlights

Grumpy_one
581 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2018 13:03 |  #1

Been using speedlights with softboxes for years, ready to upgrade to nice portable lighting. SOOO many choices out there, would like to know what people are using. I'll post pics of what I have now, later, so you have an idea what I'm dealing with, but in the mean time, just curious what ppl are using for T&I, seniors, etc. Thanks

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Grumpy_one
THREAD ­ STARTER
581 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2018 14:14 |  #2

https://www.adorama.co​m …A4spjwgPMwL4aAn​vgEALw_wcB (external link)

Found this, any thoughts?

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 02, 2018 15:06 |  #3

Lots of different alternatives out there, which permit a flash tube to be 'bare bulb', thereby sending light in all directions to bounce and emerge thru the fully filled front panel, rather than the oblong shaped output from a speedlight!

that one linked in your second post is only a bit better than a regular speedlight...at least it has a bare bulb configuration. OTOH, I think that the limitation of the LED only in the fresnel lens head means it is useless in the softbox with zero modelling light in that configuration.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Osa713
Goldmember
1,132 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 02, 2018 16:30 |  #4

Grumpy_one wrote in post #18575990 (external link)
Been using speedlights with softboxes for years, ready to upgrade to nice portable lighting. SOOO many choices out there, would like to know what people are using. I'll post pics of what I have now, later, so you have an idea what I'm dealing with, but in the mean time, just curious what ppl are using for T&I, seniors, etc. Thanks

What do you need in a new setup that your current one is lacking?

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 02, 2018 16:44 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #18576066 (external link)
that one linked in your second post is only a bit better than a regular speedlight

The Godox/Flashpoint 200 is said to be equivalent output to 3 speed lights. I would say it is a nice next step up.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Marc ­ Bergreen
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 02, 2018 17:39 |  #6

I would second the Godox AD200 option, I think they are awesome lights! Great step up from speedlights! Check out the xpro trigger as well!

Marc Bergreen
Colorado Adventure Wedding Photographer (external link)
Colorado Mountain Wedding Photographer (external link)

RGNY
101 posts
Joined May 2014

Mar 02, 2018 19:06 |  #7

The 200 is great and I have enjoyed it more than my 360, another option is the ad600, but it obviously depends on your budget and needs..

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,838 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz. (2 edits in all)

Mar 02, 2018 20:51 |  #8

AD200 is way better than any speedlite. Just ask anyone who really used one.:) Concerns, LCD is hard to see outside in the sun. If you have nice light stands, the mount is not deep enough. So light will sit a bit crooked on the light stand.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Grumpy_one
THREAD ­ STARTER
581 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Grumpy_one. (2 edits in all)

Mar 03, 2018 08:54 |  #9

Osa713 wrote in post #18576112 (external link)
What do you need in a new setup that your current one is lacking?

Ease of use!! And I've been looking at those AD200's. I like the fact that they take up the same space as a speedlite and have 3x the power. So the consensus is the AD200 which I like, what about modifiers? I know, I know...another bag of worms.
I'll explain on ease of use. The modifyers are about 20 years old. They are the 4 spoke model. They don't collapse and reassemble very easily and I tend to not break them down and transport them assembled, two of them anyway and I use 3 lights when I go out for T&I photos. One small and two medium. Pics to come, I promise.

I shoot Canon's

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,838 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Mar 03, 2018 09:03 |  #10

Get something which is foldable. In my case I have been using a photoflex medium softbox. It is not foldable but easy to install the rods. I just throw it as is in the back of my car. It even fits on passenger side of my small 2 seater. My other modifier is SP Systems 37" foldable octabox. This one is more like Elinchrom deep octa. Gives very good look but not available unless special order. There are much cheaper options now. You can also adapt any modifier to bowen's mount.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Mar 03, 2018 09:16 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18576114 (external link)
The Godox/Flashpoint 200 is said to be equivalent output to 3 speed lights. I would say it is a nice next step up.

More powerful but not all that much better than a speedlight like a 580EX which has a rudimentary 'modelling light' capability, but no bare bulb capability
The AD200 again has modelling light capability with the fresnel head...but not when using bare bulb head such as in a softbox.

I am so surprised about how the modern photographer so seldom realizes the benefit of the ability the SEE IN ADVANCE what your light is doing falling on the subject and creating shadows that will be captured in the photo to enhance or make a face into a ghoul, what a modelling light permits in the studio setting!

OP, as far as the power, let's turn that claim into a specific example:

• AD200 has GN196 with the reflector, which means that shooting at 10' at ISO 100, it has f/20,
  • while the 580EX with 'normal lens' coverage has GN135 or f/13.5

...about 1.2EV more output, which is not as impressive sounding as 'like 3 speedlights'. Admittedly, the AD200 can just about 'equal the sun' in intensity at 10', which can matter in certain circumstances. And it can provide -1EV fill source out to 20'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 03, 2018 09:26 |  #12

As father of twins, I am required to see into the future.

Modeling light? Modeling light?!? I don't need no stinkin' modeling light.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 03, 2018 09:32 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18576114 (external link)

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18576531 (external link)
As father of twins, I am required to see into the future.

Modeling light? Modeling light?!? I don't need no stinkin' modeling light.

If someone only needs 'illumination' a speedlight can be fine to use. 'Illumination' is to throw more photons in their direction somewhat at random.
But for anyone intending to do studio work, the modelling light permits one to optimize the presentation of the subject, not merely throw more photons in their direction somewhat at random.
Making OP more sensitive to that fundamental difference, in case it matters to HIM.

I am not trying to 'put down' the AD200, I merely want the OP to understand fully what it does and what it cannot do. Eyes wide open.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 03, 2018 09:44 |  #14

So what portable system would you suggest for the OP shooting team and individual, and seniors ... probably doing a lot of outside work ... hence the need for portability? What kind of portable system has a modeling light that is effective inside a soft box while outside in the sun?

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 03, 2018 09:53 |  #15

Another light to consider is the 400 w-s Quantum Qflash T5dR, which has modelling light, bare tube capability and with normal reflector is GN220, or at 10 with ISO100 you can use f/220.

Not all that much more powerful than the AD200,

Using Quantum's optional QTTL adapters, Qflash seamlessly integrates with TTL flash exposure systems on all popular cameras, although it has no HSS capability.

sponsored links

2,197 views & 12 likes for this thread
Upgrade from speedlights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.