Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 10:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Triggers

OneDay
66 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2018 10:25 |  #1

I'm trying to look into off camera flash and was looking into triggers. Obviously heard a lot about Pocket Wizards and now I'm hearing about Godox. Thoughts on what I should start with or look into before buying?

Currently I have the Canon 580 ex ii and the LumoPro LP180. While I'm at it, I'll ask for thoughts on a starter softbox kit. Thanks as always.

Rich

sponsored links
Grumpy_one
581 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2018 10:32 |  #2

It would help to know what kind of shooting you'll be doing. Studio, outdoor? Single target, team photo's, head shots, .....

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

OneDay
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2018 10:39 as a reply to  @ Grumpy_one's post |  #3

At this point, I'm looking at single target outdoors.

Thanks for asking the question and now your question makes me think of another question - why would it matter? So much too learn.....

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,335 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 03, 2018 12:01 |  #4

All trigger systems are not created equal nor are they compatible with every flash or strobe. Plus it depends if you want just a simple trigger to fire the flash or the ability to change flash settings remotely. Opening up soft boxes or other modifiers to change flash settings is a pain at least as far as I am concerned. It also depends on what flash units you have.
Lots of info here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=35

OneDay
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2018 12:22 as a reply to  @ Dave3222's post |  #5

Thank you. This just brings up more questions, which is great! I would look for the ability to change the flash setting remotely.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 03, 2018 12:26 |  #6

If you only have one or two Canon flashes and just want to get started with triggers, I suggest the YongNuo 622 system. Very inexpensive and works well. Later, you might find you want to change brand of lights entirely, then you can consider Godox with built in wireless and their reasonably nice triggers.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

echelonphoto
107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 03, 2018 15:10 |  #7

I have something for you

https://post.craigslis​t.org …action=display&​go=display (external link)

These units work well with any flash unit and are esp compatible with canon units if you eventually expand your kit.

Very reliable and flexible. I am a member in good standing at FM forums and have great ebay feedback "echelonphoto"

You can contact me at andrew@echelonphotogra​phers.com

Thanks.

inkista
563 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 03, 2018 17:06 |  #8

OneDay wrote in post #18576576 (external link)
I'm trying to look into off camera flash and was looking into triggers. Obviously heard a lot about Pocket Wizards and now I'm hearing about Godox. Thoughts on what I should start with or look into before buying?

Currently I have the Canon 580 ex ii and the LumoPro LP180.

If you have an LP180R, then you should probably get a Phottix Odin or Strato trigger to use with the built-in receiver.

If you have a regular LP180, then you only need manual triggers. And you won't have TTL, HSS, or remote power control over the LP180, even if the triggers are capable of all three functions. Something like a pair of Yongnuo RF603II (~$30 for a pair) could be a good cheap way to start out.

PocketWizards (at least the TTL kind) with the 580EXII are not a great mix, as they create radio interference with the PW units, and had to have little blanket thingies wrapped around them to work well. Probably why Canon came up with the 600EX-RT.

Godox is a great system for future expansion (external link), but the LP180 can only be fired in it. You'd get more features with Godox speedlights. You could get a $65 Godox TT600 to use instead, though, and that will let you have HSS as well as remote power control from a Godox XProC or X1TC.

While I'm at it, I'll ask for thoughts on a starter softbox kit...

The basics are that you want a lightstand and then some way to attach your light and modifier to the stand. Typically, either an umbrella adapter/swivel (external link) or a bracket (external link).

If this is your first time out, an umbrella might be cheaper and more versatile then a softbox. And with a softbox, knowing what size of subject you're going to shoot can help you determine the right size of softbox. Mostly, I would just say to get a bracket that will let you mount a softbox with your speedlight.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Grumpy_one
581 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2018 18:04 |  #9

If you're shooting outdoors, umbrellas might might not be your friend. There are some small, cheap, very collapsible softboxes out there. Check out this youtube https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=fMsHgfPb0sI (external link) particularity at 7:07.

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

OneDay
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2018 18:47 |  #10

Thank you, all. All very helpful. I'm going to ask, which I'm sure is a basic (silly) question. One of the Google searches I did had a flash trigger (Godox XproC). Does the flash need a receiver?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 03, 2018 21:35 as a reply to  @ OneDay's post |  #11

For non Godox items yes, look for the X1R units.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 03, 2018 21:46 |  #12

Some remote units are simply 'fire' only, with no other capability
Some remote units are made to provide remote adjustment of flash unit settings
Some remote units are HSS capable
Some remote units are eTTL capable

Depending upon what you are seeking, you might only want ONE of the above list, or you might seek some combinations of the above capabilities. If you can define which one(s), folks who are knowledgeable about specific products can suggest ones which have the capabilities you need.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,226 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 04, 2018 06:44 |  #13

Yongnuo 622 system.

Not expensive, very flexible, allows remote flash control, reliable.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,344 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 04, 2018 06:53 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18576692 (external link)
If you only have one or two Canon flashes and just want to get started with triggers, I suggest the YongNuo 622 system. Very inexpensive and works well. Later, you might find you want to change brand of lights entirely, then you can consider Godox with built in wireless and their reasonably nice triggers.

^^^ what he said.

Although you may want to at least consider going ahead and standardizing on Godox. If you are in the US, adorama sells their stuff under the Flashpoint brand, BH sells some of their stuff.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OneDay
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 04, 2018 09:53 |  #15

Based on what everyone is saying, I'm leaning towards the Godox system and probably the XPro. If I'm looking at this correct, it has what the Yongnuos can provide and maybe a little more. Looking forward I'll probably be getting one of their speedlites as well for $65.

Thank you again for everyone posting. Great info on softboxes / umbrellas as well. The video was a great learning experience.

Now I just need to get out there and start shooting. Learning how to do manual on the camera was great and now looking forward to eventually learning manual on the lights as well.

sponsored links

1,305 views & 3 likes for this thread
Triggers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.