Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 03 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next

What Defines a Model?

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,694 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by MDJAK.

Mar 03, 2018 15:01 |  #1

In no way am I seeking a flame war here. I’ve been in and around here for many years. I even shot “models” some years back a few times with another gentleman here who at one time was a prolific poster.

But as I view the content here nd elsewhere, I often wonder what makes a person a model. I know, for instance, a legitimately issued medical license makes my doctor a doctor. He or she may or may not the best or even the worst doctor, but they are a doctor.

When I look at Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, I know I’m looking at models. It’s kind of something that’s difficult to define but you know it when you see it.

Some of the posts on GN feature beautiful women, and sometimes men. Some feature excellent posing.

But some, and I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, are of either average or even less than average looking people, yet they either call themselves models and/or the photographer does.

In the latter example, at least to my eye, I am not looking at a model. It may be someone modeling an outfit, but definitely not a model, at least in how I understand the term or occupation.

What say you?

s1a1om
419 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by s1a1om.

Mar 03, 2018 15:21 |  #2

Someone could just as easily asks what defines a photographer?

In both categories, some are talented. Some are not. Some are better at marketing themselves. Some do it full time. Some do it part time. Some are paid. Some are not. Etc.

I guess this doesn’t really answer the question, but it’s something to consider.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 03, 2018 16:24 |  #3

Someone who can and wants to model

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,260 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 03, 2018 16:27 |  #4

I refer to any talent that steps in front of my lens as a model. Yes some are better then others, some are models that do this all the time, others they do it one or two times and that's it. My daughter is a model because she poses for staged photos. My wife is not, she poses but just for snapshots on vacation.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 03, 2018 17:58 |  #5

The word is far older than modern photography, and the term as used for artwork still centuries old. It is only in the very recent past that it has become associated with fashion models and the like.

Long before that a Model in the sense of a "human being" (vs. an inanimate representation of something) meant someone that posed for artwork. Before photography this could mean long stretches, days, weeks, of modeling for one artwork.

The credentials for a living model are one that is willing and able to sit still long enough for the artwork to be made.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

charlemagne
402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 05, 2018 08:46 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18576883 (external link)
... one that is willing and able to sit still long enough for the artwork to be made.

in photography terms 1/30 second should do :D

for me as a photographer a model is any one that I am pleased to photograph, and I work both with young women as with 50+ women (work in progress ;) nothing published yet from the latter category)

As a model you do not need to be slim-figured or in any way related to the fashion world, they can be women or men, I think (remembering from life drawing class) they just need to be aware that they are the subject of artistic exercise or expression to be a model.

I think you are more interested in 'what is for me beautiful work and what is mediocre or not even that' right?

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2018 12:25 |  #7

I think that the way you are looking for a concrete definition of the term "model" is akin to the way that many folks have looked for an absolute definition for the term "photographer", or for the word "art".

Such a precise, universally applicable definition will never be found, because of the way that so many millions upon millions of people use the word in different ways.

It seems that to you, the term "model" connotes a degree of professionalism, or at least proficiency, while to others a model may be anyone who poses for a photo. . And to many others, their definition may lie anywhere in between these two extremes.

Is modeling an activity, or is it a profession? . To many it is one, to many it is the other, and to many it can be either.

MDJAK wrote in post #18576772 (external link)
In no way am I seeking a flame war here. I’ve been in and around here for many years. I even shot “models” some years back a few times with another gentleman here who at one time was a prolific poster.
But as I view the content here nd elsewhere, I often wonder what makes a person a model. I know, for instance, a legitimately issued medical license makes my doctor a doctor. He or she may or may not the best or even the worst doctor, but they are a doctor.
When I look at Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, I know I’m looking at models. It’s kind of something that’s difficult to define but you know it when you see it.
Some of the posts on GN feature beautiful women, and sometimes men. Some feature excellent posing.
But some, and I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, are of either average or even less than average looking people, yet they either call themselves models and/or the photographer does.
In the latter example, at least to my eye, I am not looking at a model. It may be someone modeling an outfit, but definitely not a model, at least in how I understand the term or occupation.
What say you?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,315 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 05, 2018 12:35 |  #8

Colorblinded wrote in post #18576827 (external link)

That's pretty much it.

Models are not only those you consider attractive. .

To me its anyone that wants to sit and pose for me to photograph.

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,152 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 05, 2018 13:15 |  #9

MDJAK wrote in post #18576772 (external link)

It would help the discussion if you would help us with more understanding of your thought process.

You seem to be assuming beauty, by some standard or another, is necessary for a person to be considered a legitimate photographic model. What causes you to make that judgment?

By your standards of beauty, some models seen here fall short. What are your standards of beauty? In what ways are they more worthy than to those of the models and posters?

By your standards, is the subject of your post a model? By mine, she seems to be.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MDJAK in
./showthread.php?p=184​04428&i=i112652620
forum: People

My standards are functional. Since she seems to be posing for the picture, she was a model at that moment on that day. If this was really just a quick snap catching her unaware, she was not a model.

I'm a golfer. My game falls short of any professional standards, but even when I snap hook a drive into the water or muff an easy pitch I'm still a golfer.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,937 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 13, 2018 23:37 |  #10

Colorblinded wrote in post #18576827 (external link)

This.

Whether or not you think someone is attractive has nothing to do with whether or not they are a model.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,973 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 19, 2018 22:49 |  #11

In my view, a photographic model is a person who is willing to be in front of a camera, taking direction from the photographer or art director with the intent of conveying a specific visual message.

Beauty has nothing to do with modeling. Modeling has to do with being a human interpreter of someone's idea for how they want that individual to appear in their picture.

The skill of the model as an interpreter of the direction, along with the photographer's skill applying their craft to create the image combine to create a successful image.

Based on my definition, I will posit that a significant number of images presented here do not raise to the creative level I've defined. That doesn't make them bad pictures, just, in my view not pictures of models.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,646 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Mar 24, 2018 22:31 |  #12

I've photographed more than a few women over the years, many of them multiple times, and some only once or twice. The ones that I've worked with multiple times I would characterize as professional models. These ladies know how to pose, often are photographers themselves, and are well versed in lighting techniques. Some I started working with as novices and I've watched their skills improve over time. They enjoyed modeling, put energy and time into learning new poses and expressions, and ask for and take critique well.

The one or two shoot girls - well, they were mostly interested in posing for their ego, to get images for the portfolio or for social media, or because someone convinced them they were "model" material. The difference is that they had only a passing interest in modeling. My categories for models are Professional (published in print, on major websites, and earning substantial income from their work as a model); Experienced (modeling for at least a few years, well versed in poses, and professional in attitude); Amateur (poses well, reliable, and dedicated to learning); and finally, Wannabee. Simply being in front of a camera doesn't make you a model - it's the attitude and willingness to learn that makes the difference.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

814 views & 15 likes for this thread
What Defines a Model?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.