Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D series question

chuckmiller
623 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 04, 2018 08:47 |  #1

Would someone please list the sequence of model numbers from 1D start to 1Dx2 finish. Thank you.

Retiring from Fire/Rescue after 37 years on 6/30/2020 and counting the days

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by apersson850. (2 edits in all)

Mar 04, 2018 09:04 |  #2

Here (external link) they are. I've sorted out cinema versions with 1D in the name.

Anders

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,866 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 04, 2018 09:06 |  #3

Ahhh, I forgot the C

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

txsizzler
75 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 04, 2018 19:23 |  #4

Although I adore my 1D Mark III, I have always wanted to try out the original 1D, as well as one of the S cameras.. one day, I will...

cristphoto
869 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2018 20:24 |  #5

txsizzler wrote in post #18577689 (external link)
Although I adore my 1D Mark III, I have always wanted to try out the original 1D, as well as one of the S cameras.. one day, I will...

I may be wrong but I thought the original 1D had a CCD sensor instead of a CMOS one. Nonetheless a great camera back in the day but very dated by todays standards.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 04, 2018 20:32 |  #6

txsizzler wrote in post #18577689 (external link)

I've had them, the 1Dc, 1DII, 1DIII. There's nothing to miss on the previous 2. The 1DIII does the same thing, but with modern batteries (my god, I cannot express how important this is these days.. ugh, do not miss those old heavy stupid batteries!) and modern menus (again, my god, cannot express enough the sheer usability of a non-crazy-GUI like the old 1D series used).

If you try any of them, try the 1D of course. All 4mp of it. I sold mine. Lovely camera. But, it's huge, heavy, and really doesn't do anything that the newer 1D cameras don't already do better, but with half or more the resolution.

I sold my 1D & 1DII and then sold my 7D, eventually got the 1D III. And I still have the 1D III. Modern battery. Modern control/menu. Inexpensive, weather sealed, 10 FPS beast. I wouldn't even contemplate going back to the hold batteries/menus!

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

txsizzler
75 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 05, 2018 06:43 |  #7

cristphoto wrote in post #18577739 (external link)
I may be wrong but I thought the original 1D had a CCD sensor instead of a CMOS one. Nonetheless a great camera back in the day but very dated by todays standards.

Yes, the CCD sensors back then really produced some awesome color, and a fine "film grain" effect that I find desirable. Some of my older PowerShot S & G cameras have CCD sensors that produce a unique look.

Understandably, the 1D is dated, but imagine how fast and easy it is to work with a 4mpx RAW file... almost drool-worthy, isn't it?  :p

txsizzler
75 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 05, 2018 06:50 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #18577743 (external link)
I've had them, the 1Dc, 1DII, 1DIII. There's nothing to miss on the previous 2. The 1DIII does the same thing, but with modern batteries (my god, I cannot express how important this is these days.. ugh, do not miss those old heavy stupid batteries!) and modern menus (again, my god, cannot express enough the sheer usability of a non-crazy-GUI like the old 1D series used).

If you try any of them, try the 1D of course. All 4mp of it. I sold mine. Lovely camera. But, it's huge, heavy, and really doesn't do anything that the newer 1D cameras don't already do better, but with half or more the resolution.

I sold my 1D & 1DII and then sold my 7D, eventually got the 1D III. And I still have the 1D III. Modern battery. Modern control/menu. Inexpensive, weather sealed, 10 FPS beast. I wouldn't even contemplate going back to the hold batteries/menus!

Very best,

Thank you for that awesome insight, MalVeauX! I have no doubt the modern batteries, menus, speed, weather sealing, and other amenities make the 1D III an far better camera than it's older siblings. There is just something fun and special about playing with those older cameras, and pushing them with today's modern PP. I just get a big kick out of it.. in many ways, I find them more exciting than the latest and greatest being pushed out on the market!

I still watch for good deals on older gear. Have my eye on an 20D for under $100 USD right now (although I'd really like to find a deal on a 40D). Almost bought a 1D Mark IIN a year ago for $150 ( wish I had now). Easy come, easy go right? ;-)a

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by MalVeauX.

Mar 05, 2018 07:01 |  #9

txsizzler wrote in post #18577981 (external link)
Thank you for that awesome insight, MalVeauX! I have no doubt the modern batteries, menus, speed, weather sealing, and other amenities make the 1D III an far better camera than it's older siblings. There is just something fun and special about playing with those older cameras, and pushing them with today's modern PP. I just get a big kick out of it.. in many ways, I find them more exciting than the latest and greatest being pushed out on the market!

I still watch for good deals on older gear. Have my eye on an 20D for under $100 USD right now (although I'd really like to find a deal on a 40D). Almost bought a 1D Mark IIN a year ago for $150 ( wish I had now). Easy come, easy go right? ;-)a

They do have a look to their older sensors. That's for sure. But, the 5Dc has that look, and has modern control and menus too. Ultimately it's what led me to sell my 1D classic & 1D Mark II since I had the 5Dc. Then added another 5Dc because I liked the look of the files so much and processing them was great, and you could print 12MP files all day big. Despite loving the look of the files out of the 1D classic, the 1D II wasn't something I would get nostalgic over, it didn't have the same look as the 1D or 5D really. It's just the 1D. But the pain of the batteries, the painful menu, ugh, I just didn't enjoy the machine itself. Enjoyed the files. So again, the 5D replaced it in every way for my purposes. I wasn't using it to do non-stop action anyways. I had a 7D for that (which is now replaced with a 1D3, sold the 7D, didn't like the files, noisy for my taste even at base ISO, but my copy was probably not great). I ended up with two 5Dc's for the sake of the look of the files, very much like the original 1D files, but with modern batteries & menus (you can grip 'em if you need the bulk). Then I went and got a 1Ds Mark II to get a full frame and the older sensor look, replaced a 5Dc with it. But, it just wasn't the same, too big, too bulky, and the awful menus and awful batteries. I just couldn't take it. Despite being a lovely full frame with 16MP resolution and a 1D AF engine, it was just too dated of a menu system to enjoy, and the batteries, ugh, I don't like carrying those big heavy batteries, and really don't like recharging them. Gorgeous files though. Ultimately sold it too. The 5Dc was more pleasing to use, modern menus, modern controls, modern batteries, still that classic old sensor look.

I totally get the wanting to just play with the files. Been there and had them all.

That said, don't go for a 1D classic, go for a 1DS (11MP). It'll cost more, but it's full frame and enough resolution to do a lot of work with, big fat pixels. It will also re-sale better because it's full frame. And you could also look for a 1Ds II, again, for a full frame. But they're not cheap, unfortunately, they're way over-priced on the used market. You can of course get an original APS-H 1D for probably $50~75 if you shop around just to play and tinker with it. Or, if you haven't already, just get a 5D classic and call it a day. There's no files from the old 1D series that call out to me the way a 5D classic's files do. As far as I'm concerned, it's *the* classic Canon files to go for and has enough modern aspects to it to be relevant and not just a chore to use.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

txsizzler
75 posts
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 05, 2018 07:11 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #10

MalVeauX, I own a 5D classic, as well as the 5D Mark II. I agree that the files on the 5DC are magical. I also love the pro bodies of the 1D series, and their ergos. Looking online, 3rd party batteries for the older 1D cameras can be had pretty cheaply, but the menu systems may be a bit trying to get used to.

That being said, your suggestion about looking at the 1DS series instead is likely the best route to take. Thanks for your awesome insight on this! :-)

sponsored links

908 views & 3 likes for this thread
1D series question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.