Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 04 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Server move and update info

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 3 months ago by Pekka.

Mar 04, 2018 14:42 |  #1

I'm currently testing site move to a new server (with AMASS 2.0), so there might be some slowdowns as I do some serious data move stuff and backups from time to time. If all goes as planned, the move will happen in few days.

I'll try to make the move as smooth as possible, DNS is always a potential hiccup issue and things like testing mail server means email functions may be down a day or two after the move. You'll see when it happens.

One caveat to be aware of: as there are some internal changes to handling uploaded images in drafts, I may need to delete all editing drafts which have uploads. So, if you have some post edits hanging there with images you want to keep: save them, or submit the edit.

I'll post more about the changes done in AMASS 2.0 in due time (and I have do so in last couple of years :)) but here's a quick list

MAIN CHANGES:

The main focus on AMASS 2.0 is to add rest of the needed features, improve usability and mobile usage, fix bugs, improve all. The goal was to keep normal usage same despite of new stuff, so you do not have re-learn anything. I think this is so.

• Moving to a new server (minor changes really, but new hardware and much better SSD's).

• Comprehensive marketplace feedback system. Start giving feedback from the thread in question. Fully transparent to all members and member feedback stats and feedback can be viewed easily. Sort and filter. Member feedback stats always added to relevant places. 4 rating items (only 1 required), texts (not required), editable. Heads Up popups about every action to respective members.

• Global on/off switches for forum filtering.

• Notification email system with settings, cancel links, won't send double messages etc. Email server will take some days to get fully functional and online, so notification email system will not be on the first day after update.

• Password reset improved.

• Changes to LIKE (layout/undo/bugfixes/​stats/top500/list all own/ etc.).

• Layout improvements everywhere, better use of space, better looking, more responsive, faster, smoother.

• Broken images handling improved.

• Image upload improved, sharpening with settings, max.image size is now 1600*1600. If you edit a post and upload new images, you can revert to original images if needed.

• You can limit pixel size of embedded images that are automatically showed/downloaded (saves mobile data), view them by click/tap.

• A "darker" style (default for new members/guests). You can pick the old white style, too.

• A lot of user interface usability improvements.

• Follow forum (two modes), new posts has a "followed forums" view.

• Margin setup revised, make your own margins (visual setup tool) for different page types.

• Thousands of fixes, improvements and bug fixes.

• Metadata editor and gallery add/remove made easier.

• EXIF Lens detection vastly improved. Does not pick even best guesses if not absolutely sure, but offers you best guesses to be manually picked. You can add to your gear from inside the metadata editor. Flickr EXIF retrieval speed over 2x faster.

• Sort your gear list.

• Report post can be done also by clicking the report text: a choice of reasons are given.

• Search UI improvements. Search is now available for guests. New bbcode tag: SEARCH, initiated in search UI command "SHARE". More accurate search.

• Ignored member post peek. Ignored member gallery thumbs obfuscated.

• Thread page image mini-browser for quick view of images on page (click a thumb takes you to the image, CTRL+space takes you to the next image).

• Lightbox (glasses) functionality revised. Fits to view by default. Double-click to view image in lightbox, mouse wheel up to 100%, mouse wheel down to fit), click to exit lighbox. Zoom control button.

• Drones, film camera, microscope, telescope (generic manufacturers) and latest gear added to gear database. Will add a drone forum and make other changes to forum structure some weeks after update has been done.

• Photobucket image ban handling (personal and public) settings.

• All scrollable lists/swipes on iOS devices are now fast/smooth. Page scrolling tuned (improved scrolling to broken images, when page loads slowly etc).

• Editor tools' positions can be saved and automatically restored when editor is opened. If tools go over the sides, they can be called to view.

• Editor preview zoom (optional). Lots of new settings for the editor in FYEO.

• FYEO on/off command response clarity revised when you change a setting.

• Galleries are improved, for example if you click an image in gear gallery, you can continue viewing that gallery in thread pages. Best of image mode in member gallery. Quick links to tons of metadata galleries on main gallery index. More thumbs per page, mobile layout improved. Add to gallery button always seen when applicable (no more hover -> commands). Thread page gallery browser has "next" and close commands.

• "SSL ready" (soon to be implemented). Technical background systems updated to latest tech (PHP 7 etc).

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by Chet.

Mar 04, 2018 21:45 |  #2

You're simply the best.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
6,492 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 04, 2018 22:31 |  #3

Thank you Pekka. Glad to hear AMASS 2.0 is coming soon.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2018 22:47 |  #4

Holey Shamoley!

It's already the best forum software in the world, now it's going to be even better - way better. . I love everything you're doing with this upgrade!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
780 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 05, 2018 11:05 |  #5

Pekka wrote in post #18577487 (external link)
  • Image upload improved, sharpening with settings, max.image size is now 1600*1600. If you edit a post and upload new images, you can revert to original images if needed.
  • Awesome! I'm wondering, will previous posts automatically update photos to the larger size if the photos were linked from another site and had more than 1280 pixels on the long edge? For example, would a previous post with a linked Flicker photo that had a resolution of 1600 x 1068 now display that photo at 1600 pixels on the long edge after the forum update?

- Dave | flickr (external link)
    Nikon D810
    14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Pekka
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    El General Moderator
    17,548 posts
    Gallery: 35 photos
    Best ofs: 7
    Joined Mar 2001

Mar 05, 2018 11:23 |  #6

Bcaps wrote in post #18578153 (external link)
    Awesome! I'm wondering, will previous posts automatically update photos to the larger size if the photos were linked from another site and had more than 1280 pixels on the long edge? For example, would a previous post with a linked Flicker photo that had a resolution of 1600 x 1068 now display that photo at 1600 pixels on the long edge after the forum update?

No, unfortunately Flickr images that have already been embedded are not changed to new image size limit. This is because Flickr creates a randomized URL for each image size, and it is impossible to guess it in software.

The new image size 1600*1600 will affect all images posted and uploaded after the update.

BUT: If an image was embedded and it was put in to "too large" mode (not shown because it exceeded 1280 rule), it will show automatically if it fits the new 1600 rule.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
    AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
    "I am a little creepy"
    11,948 posts
    Gallery: 138 photos
    Best ofs: 1
    Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2018 12:02 |  #7

Pekka wrote in post #18578163 (external link)
    The new image size 1600*1600 will affect all images posted and uploaded after the update.

BUT: If an image was embedded and it was put in to "too large" mode (not shown because it exceeded 1280 rule), it will show automatically if it fits the new 1600 rule.

I think this new size increase is particularly good because many of us are now viewing POTN on monitors that have much higher resolution than those we were using a few years ago.

For example, my previous computer had, like, 2.4 K resolution and my current one is, I think, 5.2 K, or something thereabouts. . I think that my upgrade is probably somewhat typical of many of us who spend a lot of time here on the forum and that most of us are viewing at higher resolution than we were using 3 to 5 years ago.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

566 views & 14 likes for this thread
    Server move and update info
    FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.