Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2018 (Monday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First ever Sony shooting.... in the rain too

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Talley.

Mar 05, 2018 20:00 |  #1

r3 shipped today and metabones. Got home 6:13... wife already had batterycharged. Grabbed the bag the Sony the metabones and we left at 6:25. I fiddled through the menus in route to game. Started shooting. It’s raining. I’m still shooting.

Good first test. Adapted, sports, night time, rain... if it survives I may be onto something

Pics shortly

Oh... through the darn fence too.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2018 20:03 |  #2

I for the life of me cannot figure out how to turn off the darn focus confirmation beep in af-s

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,280 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Mar 05, 2018 20:13 |  #3

Googling yields this:

It's in the menu called "Custom Operation2" which is the last (9/9) menu pane in the second menu group (Camera2).

It's still called Audio Signals and can be set to On or Off.

Sounds like the menu system is a bit complicated.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2018 20:51 |  #4

thanks

initial impressions:

R3 + Adapter + 200L = portrait only... no sports. Gosh it is painfully slow to focus. It's like moving back in time to a i dunno manual lens. Accurate... My head is filled with tons of uncertainty. This means I absolutely have to have sony native glass for any kind of servo and to cover any night time sports I'm limited to 70-200.

much to think about.

My Gear Archive

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,280 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Mar 05, 2018 21:20 |  #5

I am guessing it is a setting issue or something, because there are a ton of videos with Sony + Canon glass doing light action. If I cannot use Canon glass, even with the A9, I won't switch over. I don't want to spend $2500 for each lens for Sony, it simply isn't worth spending $10K for a Sony and 2 lenses.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2018 21:28 |  #6

went to wide AF zone and focus appears to be snappy... went to the flexible spot and it's painfully slow. With the 200L and mbV you only get Wide, Center, or Flexible spot S, M or L. Won't let you have anything else.

I have tons to learn...

My Gear Archive

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2018 21:28 |  #7

exactly. I want to stay far far away from their 2.8 zooms. Doesn't make sense to switch at all. I need to check the firmware on the MBV...

My Gear Archive

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,203 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 05, 2018 21:34 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18578529 (external link)
I am guessing it is a setting issue or something, because there are a ton of videos with Sony + Canon glass doing light action. If I cannot use Canon glass, even with the A9, I won't switch over. I don't want to spend $2500 for each lens for Sony, it simply isn't worth spending $10K for a Sony and 2 lenses.

My thoughts too. Maybe the adapters will improve over time. But I looked at the prices for Sony glass and did a spit-take. Holy hell.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2018 22:04 |  #9

So mounted my 85A... tack sharp images at 1/15. Thats awesome. Focusing speed is fast... no different than mounted to 5D4. Very fast.

Mounted the 16-35 2.8 III and again same as the 200L... slow jitter focus when using flexible spot.

I think I'll stop posting for awhile until I figure everything out. SOMETHING is up. I'm off to bed now.

oh.. IQ is amazing. if I can figure out this canon focusing thing this will be one sweet setup.

My Gear Archive

tmalone893
Goldmember
1,980 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 06, 2018 08:24 |  #10

Talley wrote in post #18578533 (external link)
went to wide AF zone and focus appears to be snappy... went to the flexible spot and it's painfully slow. With the 200L and mbV you only get Wide, Center, or Flexible spot S, M or L. Won't let you have anything else.

I have tons to learn...

I use my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II and the 24-70 f/2.8 II with pretty decent results. I'm using the Sigma MC-11 on an a6500. The 70-200 is the best but I get some really decent basketball shots using the 24-70. I find the flexible spot works best for me.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 06, 2018 08:53 |  #11

I dunno... I love the features and IQ but it's just not the same as my trusty old canon. I've got some really good glass... I can pickup the 2.8 L zooms for a really good price. Seems the flash system is a bit more robust. Nothing really holding me back. I hate the occasional missed focus shot for no apparent reason. Hate the size/weight when we travel.

I think I'm sticking with my canon stuff a bit longer. Still plenty capable. The viewfinder is really crappy still. I just prefer looking through optics. The sony high speed AF viewfinder is pretty crappy.

Gonna jump off this bandwagon... Wife just needs to deal with her fuji camera for the time being. I'll wait for the mk4's.

My Gear Archive

tbdinh22
26 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Mar 08, 2018 12:49 |  #12

Talley wrote in post #18578812 (external link)
I dunno... I love the features and IQ but it's just not the same as my trusty old canon. I've got some really good glass... I can pickup the 2.8 L zooms for a really good price. Seems the flash system is a bit more robust. Nothing really holding me back. I hate the occasional missed focus shot for no apparent reason. Hate the size/weight when we travel.

I think I'm sticking with my canon stuff a bit longer. Still plenty capable. The viewfinder is really crappy still. I just prefer looking through optics. The sony high speed AF viewfinder is pretty crappy.

Gonna jump off this bandwagon... Wife just needs to deal with her fuji camera for the time being. I'll wait for the mk4's.

I was thinking of switching over to Sony. If I switch, it would be native glass. It's hard to use adapted lens for wedding and dark reception. I'm sure it would hunt and I would miss key moments. I'm still hoping Canon give us FF mirrorless by the end of this year. M50 have eyeAF so I'm excited it will be implement in their pro FF mirrorless camera.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

eth3rton
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by eth3rton.

Mar 10, 2018 19:25 |  #13

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM was first available on Amazon Jan 04, 2010 and is currently priced at $2000. Used, yeah I am sure you can find a deal and I would expect it from an 8 year old lens. Not saying it is a bad lens but the Sony appeared on Amazon Jul 11, 2016, is an amazing lens and list for $2600. Used I have seen them much closer to $2000. It does not need an $200+ adapter either. Similar for both the 24-70 and 16-35 too.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 10, 2018 20:06 |  #14

Ya... I'm going to end up buying the 70-200 2.8 GM just because it's the only option. Will be sad to let the 200/2 go but it's a bit overkill anyway. I'll settle for the next best thing and pickup a poor mans 200L aka the 135. Good thing Sigma releasing a E mount 135 1.8. I'll just buy this new when the 200/2 sells.

As far as the price I can remember when back in 2011-12 the MK2 selling used for 2200 still. It sure has come down on price and with the rumors of a mk3 coming around I'd be willing to bet that is going to be a 2599 priced lens.

So ya.. I don't really find the GM lenses all "that" expensive. Even comparing the 16-35 iii vs the GM it's closely priced. The 24-70G is higher priced alot really.

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

1,312 views & 6 likes for this thread
First ever Sony shooting.... in the rain too
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.