Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about 3rd party lenses (Tamron)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 07, 2018 07:12 |  #16

jdnan wrote in post #18579444 (external link)
I guess the obvious follow up question is do those of you who have used both the Tamron & the Canon 1st gen 100-400 think the Tamron is superior? I have a local guy with a pristine 1st gen Canon asking $650.

Take it. Good lens at good price.

sponsored links
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,716 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by 05Xrunner. (2 edits in all)

Mar 07, 2018 07:21 |  #17

id pass on that 100-400V1. for $150 more you can get the tamron where its IQ is pretty much on par with the canon 100-400II, is weather sealed better IS and is brand new with a warranty.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 07, 2018 11:24 as a reply to  @ 05Xrunner's post |  #18

I made the decision to try the Tamron 100-400. It should be in early next week.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 07, 2018 13:52 |  #19

I'm still really torn between the Tamron 100-400 and the Sigma 100-400, and keep going back and forth. I need sharpness on the long end, and the Sigma seems to be a touch better at that (the Tammy being better in the mid range as far as sharpness goes...) But the Tammy is said to have better AF. (the Canon is out of the running for me as it's much heavier, larger, and more expensive than I can afford.)

Right now the Sigma is between $130 and $150 less here in Canada than the Tamron, and my tax return only stretches so far... :) So that becomes a factor. But the Tamron has the optional tripod mount, and is a tiny bit lighter... Decisions, decisions!

And always in the back of my mind is the Canon 70-300 ii - lighter, smaller, super fast and sharp. But I think I'll regret the lack of reach - I want to shoot birds and critters. I know I can crop, but how much becomes too much?... I'm using a 77D. Someone tell me what to do!! :):)

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,716 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 07, 2018 14:16 |  #20

I dont think you will go wrong with either the Sigma or the Tamron. The slight difference between them in IQ is pixel peeping level.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 07, 2018 15:02 |  #21

Kasrielle wrote in post #18579777 (external link)
I'm still really torn between the Tamron 100-400 and the Sigma 100-400, and keep going back and forth. I need sharpness on the long end, and the Sigma seems to be a touch better at that (the Tammy being better in the mid range as far as sharpness goes...) But the Tammy is said to have better AF. (the Canon is out of the running for me as it's much heavier, larger, and more expensive than I can afford.)

Right now the Sigma is between $130 and $150 less here in Canada than the Tamron, and my tax return only stretches so far... :) So that becomes a factor. But the Tamron has the optional tripod mount, and is a tiny bit lighter... Decisions, decisions!

And always in the back of my mind is the Canon 70-300 ii - lighter, smaller, super fast and sharp. But I think I'll regret the lack of reach - I want to shoot birds and critters. I know I can crop, but how much becomes too much?... I'm using a 77D. Someone tell me what to do!! :):)

Dustin Abbot's review on YouTube really helped me choose the Tamron, with the biggest factors being AF performance & aperture size over the zoom range. The Tamron starts with a wider aperture than the Sigma and it maintains a wider aperture across the entire range. I've included a screen capture from his final video (there are 3) on the Tamron & provided the link (external link) for the video as well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 07, 2018 15:30 as a reply to  @ jdnan's post |  #22

I had forgotten about the difference in apeture across the range, though i did see it in Dustin's review. That will make a difference, though I think I'll likely be using f/8 a lot for what I'm shooting.

The other big difference between these 2 lenses is in maximum reproduction ratio - 1.38 for the sigma, vs. .27 for the Tamron. Some are saying you can do "fake macro" closeup work with the Sigma, though with the small aperture I dont' see how you could isolate a subject.

Now I'm leaning toward the Tammy... Man - if every decision in my life were this difficult I'd never get out of bed! Part of the delima is that I can't handle either lens before buying - no camera store on the Sunshine Coast where I live, and even if I got into Vanouver, none of the Vancouver stores are carrying the Tamron. So it's online buying for me...

Which brings up another dilemma for me... the Tamron is available on ebay from Japan, at $300 CA less than I can buy here in Canada. But I'm not sure I want to take the risk. A deal is always great until it isn't, and getting a lens (even from a reputable seller) that has a problem would be a real pain. But is $300 worth taking that risk?

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,716 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 07, 2018 15:32 |  #23

the ebay one is probably a gray market version. Tamron took a new policy with that like Nikon did. if you buy gray market they will not work on repair even if you are paying for the repair

My gear
Sony RX100 II

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 07, 2018 15:34 as a reply to  @ 05Xrunner's post |  #24

Wow - good to know. Yes, it would be gray market in North America, as it's the Japanese domestic version.

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 07, 2018 15:56 as a reply to  @ Kasrielle's post |  #25

I thought about that as well and I ended up purchasing from an authorized US dealer on ebay. The only reason I went through ebay is because I received a note from ebay telling me if anything I purchased yesterday through today would receive 8% back in ebay bucks. This ($63.92 US) will cover the cost of buying the tap-in console and made it a no-brainer for me. I just didn't want to take the chance on a gray market product.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 07, 2018 16:08 as a reply to  @ jdnan's post |  #26

I saw that - unfortuantly the US sellers on ebay have to charge duty on equipment into Canada, which is adding between $55 and $70 to the price. for that I may as well buy in Canada. (Plus - and this is totally off topic but frustrating - Adorama is experiencing a glitch in their ebay ordering system and cannot ship to Canada! I wrote to them because I was interested in a bag, and the shipping calculator would not work with my postal code, and that's the response I got. I'm really disappointed, because they are the US seller I would most trust on ebay.)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,292 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 07, 2018 21:26 |  #27

That's firmware, which can be modified without disassembling the lens, vs re-chipping that required the lens be disassembled in order to remove and replace an integrated circuit or board. The later having more risk to the end functionality since there's opportunity to mess up element alignments and such. Sigma's (pre-Art/Sport/Contemporary​) are the only ones I'm aware of having to be re-chipped.

Again, with the way the newer lenses are made, that's all pretty well mitigated by the docks. Aside from the fact that both still have to do their own blackbox engineering to keep up w/ the manufacturers' af systems, I see little reason to be concerned about the modern offerings from Sigma/Tamron specfically, or most other well-known 3rd parties.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 07, 2018 21:37 |  #28

Kasrielle wrote in post #18579871 (external link)
I saw that - unfortuantly the US sellers on ebay have to charge duty on equipment into Canada, which is adding between $55 and $70 to the price. for that I may as well buy in Canada. (Plus - and this is totally off topic but frustrating - Adorama is experiencing a glitch in their ebay ordering system and cannot ship to Canada! I wrote to them because I was interested in a bag, and the shipping calculator would not work with my postal code, and that's the response I got. I'm really disappointed, because they are the US seller I would most trust on ebay.)

I find this odd. Has NAFTA been repealed? I can buy camera gear from Japan and not pay duties on it. Last time I looked, Japan was not in North America. What's up with Canadian duties?

BTW, I've also purchased camera gear FROM Canada and paid no duties.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,443 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 08, 2018 09:34 |  #29

Kasrielle wrote in post #18579871 (external link)

I’m sorry, but I understand there is a permanent glitch on eBay's calculator with regard to certain Zip Codes in Canada.

Sometimes it works and other times not; and there is no manual override option.

Is the item you wanted to order on our main website? If there is anything I can do to help, please contact me directly: Helen@adorama.com

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 08, 2018 16:05 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #30

No, NAFTA hasn't been repealed (yet...) but the shipping options that American sellers are using adds a secondary import charge (for instance - the Tammy 100-400 from samyscamera has a priority shipping charge of $27.99 CA to my postal code PLUS Import charges of $57.56 US - around $75 CA - so over $100 CA shipping on top of the lens cost.) Cametaauctions doesn't add the additional import charge, but adds it into their initial shipping charge, which is $85.15 CA. With our lousy conversion rate, and those shipping charges, it makes more sense to pay $1129 here in Canada with free shipping.

So I can save hundreds buying gray market and hope to get a perfect lens, or bite the bullet and buy Canadian...

sponsored links

14,808 views & 23 likes for this thread
Question about 3rd party lenses (Tamron)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.