Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what is wrong with this image

Nick ­ Aufiero
459 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013

Mar 06, 2018 14:17 |  #1

I've shot about 3-4 houses now and I use the same process for shooting and editing.
I use the HDR calculator but typically shoot about 5-9 shots for every room.

If I do this as a natural look in photomatix it is completely flat and washed out looking but no green coloring or the purple around the flowers
If I do the fusion/natural or interior it gets this color going
I even lowered blue and greens in LR by like -60 before this

still an issue.
Am I better off doing the default natural look on all photos and adding a little contrast and depth in PS afterwards?

areas of problem:

Under the couch, above the couch, around the flower.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My site is www.NickAufiero.com (external link)

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,217 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 06, 2018 15:24 |  #2

Do you use pictures like this for publication?

I ask only because of the distortion. I cannot imagine seeing a picture this distorted in something like Architectural Digest.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,326 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 15:31 |  #3

Nick Aufiero wrote in post #18579095 (external link)
I've shot about 3-4 houses now and I use the same process for shooting and editing.
I use the HDR calculator but typically shoot about 5-9 shots for every room.

If I do this as a natural look in photomatix it is completely flat and washed out looking but no green coloring or the purple around the flowers
If I do the fusion/natural or interior it gets this color going
I even lowered blue and greens in LR by like -60 before this

still an issue.
Am I better off doing the default natural look on all photos and adding a little contrast and depth in PS afterwards?

areas of problem:

Under the couch, above the couch, around the flower.

have you tried Enfuse or Enfuse GUI? also, in my experience, often times less is more ... 5 shots should be plenty.

outside of that, I see you have the overhead incandescent on but not the table top lamp. Seems pretty clear that the color temp transitions from outside light to the incandescent is where the trouble lies.

saea501 wrote in post #18579147 (external link)
Do you use pictures like this for publication?

I ask only because of the distortion. I cannot imagine seeing a picture this distorted in something like Architectural Digest.

honestly, I wouldn't publish this kind of pic at all. I feel like I'm falling on my face.

Nick, get those verticals straight.

and don't worry about getting all 4 walls in the pic.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,765 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 07, 2018 00:35 |  #4

Needs to be lit IMHO.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,937 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 08, 2018 04:48 |  #5

1. Really bad distortion due to the sensor not being parallel to the verticals. (See Tom2017's post). If you don't have a tilt shift lens then use something like Lightroom's Transform tool to correct/minimise this.
2. You have red light being reflected from the sofa and the flowers onto the wall. The simple way to solve this is to remove the flowers/cover the sofa with black plastic in order to capture a neutral shot of the walls that can be masked in.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,276 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (14 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2018 06:24 |  #6

I would strongly suggest investing in a couple of AD200s, a couple of very compact Manfrotto lightstands, and an Xpro.

What this allows you to do for real estate or interior shots is to set up great sources of diffused lights at bounced angles, with small softboxes, whatever to light the room, and expose for the outside. It will save you hassles with multiple images being merged, then dealing with the HDR visual impacts, like what you see around the window trim, and some of the other artifacts you see here. I picked up all that equipment for my wife who is in real estate, and she has figured it out pretty quickly to my surprise, and liked the results. However she still needs to watch mirrors in the photos, which happen to catch the lighting equipment. :)

When taking shots at different exposures, with such brightly colored objects, you are going to be creating areas in the photo with strange color casts.

I won't comment about the technical value of the content, as that isn't the question being asked, and would be wildly off topic since the question wasn't "hey how great is this indoor shot for selling property"? It is "why do I get color casts and digital artifacts when taking many shots at different exposures and merging them to reduce the overall DR". I will leave that type of criticism to others. :D

This shows you where the highest concentrations of cyan, blue, green, magenta, and yellow are in your photo. This is what what you are fighting with outdoor ambient lighting coming in and hitting a bright couch and earth tones in the green spectrum. For me, the only way to combat that IMO is to use strategically placed small strobes like the AD200 to neutralize some of this, but being a small room, that might be tough here. HDR merge of many differently exposed frames are probably going to accentuate these pretty stark areas of color casting, otherwise. You can see the impacts of that couch (which is squarely in the red spectrum) in that room with sunlight or outdoor light hitting and scattering around the carpet and walls.

Also, it seems you have JPG compression set pretty high, ie the JPG level looks like it might be a 5 which isn't good. That is why there are large blocks of identical color instead of something more granular. Either AMASS/POTN did this (which I doubt, because Pekka was painstaking in his details for uploads), or the HDR and editing software caused this when saved to JPG. That isn't doing you an favors with the color casting either.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,326 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 08, 2018 07:03 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #7

How did you create that image, TS?

Trying to think if it is practical, but it is certainly cool. Maybe useful creating gradients for color corrections.

It does a great job illustrating the need for having consistent lighting. The table lamp would have filled that lower right corner in a similar way as the upper left.

Alternatively, turning off the overhead incandescent would have done the trick too.

Agree that a blast from a speedlight would have helped too, but not always practical depending on budget/time.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,276 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2018 09:01 |  #8

I over accentuate image properties when trying to figure out issues. In this case, I ran several saturation steps once for each color "channel" that Photoshop allows for, minus the red because the couch is likely the culprit causing so much of the mixed colors in the room, and it didn't make sense to push that color up.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,326 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 08, 2018 09:57 |  #9

i am trying to get used to my new wacom, so ...

the difference in lighting is not caused by the couch. Any amount of color temp change from reflected light off of the couch would be super local. You can see a bit of that, but for the the vast majority of the room, it is completely irrelevant.

the difference is caused by the mixed lighting. This is most easily seen by the shadow cast by the lamp. With the light from the window being blocked by the lamp shade, there is a spot on the wall that is lit "only" by the overhead incandescent.

The floor below the window is also a good indicator here. Since it is so close to the window, the effect of the warm incandescent is canceled out.

The nope arrows just show that the window light is not going to bend and hit the walls to the left and right of the windows.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,276 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2018 16:38 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #10

The color casts that were called out by the OP are from the couch though, underneath and behind it, which is what I am most specifically calling out. Definitely not the flowers and that section of wall.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,326 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 08, 2018 19:43 |  #11

Gotcha.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the wall going from orange in the upper left to blue down right, is just so distracting its hard for me to even see the fringing.

Assuming these are headed for MLS type resolution makes the minor details even less worrisome.

Though it wasn't my intention to get so far off track.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,276 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2018 20:59 |  #12

Yes, our MLS only allows something like a 960 or perhaps just over 1000px on the long end. That hides a bunch of errors/issues in photos. However I know many agents that also run their own sites, and offer up larger versions from the MLS listing. This is something I need to get set up for my wife, with smugmug or equivalent.

sponsored links

683 views & 4 likes for this thread
what is wrong with this image
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.