Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 19:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX vs 7D2 my little observation

Milutiche
812 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 06, 2018 19:33 |  #1

I've been running 7D2's for nearly 3 years and have just picked up a used 1DX, I thought I'd head into my back yard and take a few photos with both bodies across all of my lenses just to see how they compare.

In every situation the photo on from the 7D2 was better when cropping the 1DX photo to the same size
Note: this test was done in good light with iso set to 100.

I guess my simple observation is this,
when shooting in good light i'll be running the following combinations

7d2 - 300 f2.8
1dx - 70-200f 2.8
7d2 - 24-70 or 8-15

In poor light I'll probably go for this combo

1dx - 300 f 2.8
7d2 - 70-200 f2.8
7d2 - 24-70 or 8-15

I'd be interested to hear others opinions if you have both bodies

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 06, 2018 19:57 |  #2

I have found that my 7D2 can outcrop my 1DX - but those occasions are rare and then only on my 300 F2.8 L IS and 800 F5.6 L IS not my other lenses. The vast majority of the time the 7D2 stays in the house, it is a great camera but can't live with my 1DX most of the time.

Note I am very focal length limited for my uses so, the vast majority of the time, I am using a the 800mm yet I still find the larger, low pixel count, sensor better nearly all the time. The faster AF lock and better tracking of the 1DX help as well.

Having said that the 7D2 is a very much cheaper camera so still represents excellent value IMO.

Just my thoughts.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2018 20:10 |  #3

Past ISO 400 I think you would find that cropping the 1DX will yield better results than the 7D2. I did not have a 7D2 for long. I can't really remember the last time I shot a sporting event at less than ISO 800 or so. My experience was that the 1DX files even heavily cropped were better than a mildly cropped 7D2 file at most all ISO's.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Mar 06, 2018 20:17 |  #4

Well, the 1Dx has only 144 pixels per millimeter, while the 7DII has 244 pixels per millimeter. Given the fact that the same lens on both bodies puts an IDENTICAL size image of a subject on both sensors, the same object gets captured with 70% more pixels in each direction, leading to 'more detail' in the capture by the 7DII. The APS-C image would 'win'. This is the proverbial 'reach advantage' said to exist between APS-C and FF-- depending upon which two bodies you are comparing!

If you put format-appropriate FL on the two cameras, a 100mm lens on the 1Dx and a 60mm lens on the 7DII, the same subject will be 67% larger on the 1Dx sensor.
If the object image were 6mm tall on the 7DII sensor the image would be 10mm tall on the 1Dx sensor. So the same object would be captured with 6mm*244pixels vs 10mm*144pixels, or 1464 pixels tall on the 7DII and 1440 pixels on the 1Dx which is a negligible difference in quality from the standpoint of image resolution of the sensor, and ignoring the optical resolution delivered by the lens. draw

If the two lenses both delivered 100 line-pairs per millimeter of detail resolution to both sensors, the 7DII would be capturing 600 line-pairs of detail across its 6mm tall subject image on sensor, while the 1Dx captures 1000 pine-pairs of detail across its 10mm tall subject image on sensor. The FF image would 'win'.

The above ignores the issue of signal vs. noise content, where one would be superior to the other with regard to freedom from noise at high ISO, or when the image is 'push processed' to bring up details in the shadow areas.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,188 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 06, 2018 20:19 |  #5

Milutiche wrote in post #18579299 (external link)
In every situation the photo on from the 7D2 was better when cropping the 1DX photo to the same size
Note: this test was done in good light with iso set to 100.

Primarily because the 7D2's whole frame is already a crop of the scene framed by the 1DX; so you're not throwing resolution away by doing the crop after capture.

Since you're shooting a relatively controlled environment, frame the same shot between cameras (set your 1Dx closer to the subject) and then compare those. Especially above ISO 800.

That said, proper exposure and some NR in post is *plenty* to make it so that I have no need to have a 1Dx for anything. The images out of the 7D2 are well more than enough for anything needed outside of truly extreme/demanding conditions.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Jules ­ Winnfield ­ 2517
23 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 10, 2018 21:54 |  #6

I, too, got my first used 1dx this week. A 7dii is my main camera, usually on a Sigma 120-300 Sport. A 5diii was my second camera, usually with a 70-200.

When I first used the 5diii, I assmed it would be better for night time and low light sports. What I found was that the most important factor, aside from nailing the exposure, was pixel density.

In cases where I could fill the frame, the 5diii/70-200 2.8 did have an advantage at night. But an uncropped or minimally cropped photo off the 7dii was usually better than a heavily cropped photo from my 5diii.

Your plan sounds good.

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 11, 2018 01:11 as a reply to  @ Jules Winnfield 2517's post |  #7

I used it for Rugby for the first time this weekend and played around with different combinations,
I've settled on the 72d + 300 & 1dx + 70-200 for daylight, that 1.6x crop is just too hard to give up on the big lens, I might see if I can try out a 1.4x extender paired with the 1dx and 300 at some stage

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,020 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 11, 2018 10:49 |  #8

Im using the 1Dx2 as my main body and to be perfectly honest I can barely stand to use the 7D2 anymore on moving objects. The 1Dx2 with a TC on my 300 F/2.8 will rarely miss a moving object where the 7D2 with a 300 F/2.8 is hit or miss.

I can track in servo with a BIF and will get several misses through out the bursts where is the 1Dx2 I will get 10-12 bursts with every one being tack sharp....Not so with the 7D2

So I use the 7D2 for more stationary things or things that are about to move and much bigger subjects. It worked great for bear outings and at Yosemite. The 7D2, with a TC and a 300F/2.8 is a heck of a lot of reach. A 7D2 with a 150-600 is hard to beat for a walk around set up, If you can accept the limitations of its servo performance. And when I say Limitations, I mean limitations as compared to the 1Dx or 1Dx2. Servo performance on both these bodies is indeed much much better. I have used all 3 bodies a ton. Nothing is going to touch a 1Dx or 1Dx2 for servo performance. I loves the 1Dx for this and did not think they could improve it...They definitely did with the 1Dx2.

The 7D2 is a good camera. I use one in or wedding with the 17-55. But it is not any way in shape any forms near as good as a 1Dx1 or 1Dx2 for AF performance.....I have both bodies. If its going to move...im using the 1Dx2 and getting closer when ever possible

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 12, 2018 02:21 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #9

Thanks for your reply, are you using the version 1 300 f/2.8 L is? Also which TC do you use?

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,020 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 12, 2018 10:16 |  #10

Milutiche wrote in post #18583347 (external link)
Thanks for your reply, are you using the version 1 300 f/2.8 L is? Also which TC do you use?

yes version 1 300. I need to check the TC. Its an older one

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 12, 2018 19:06 |  #11

My 300 F2.8 L IS Is the Mk1 as well. If you are thinking of a 2 x extender then get the Canon Mk3. Even on older bodies/lenses it produces sharper images and does AF a wee bit better though Canon do not advertise this latter point.

With the 1.4 extender there appears to be little, if any, advantage of the Mk3 over the Mk2 unless you are using the latest lenses (Mk2 SuperTeles etc) and bodies like the 1DX2/5D4 etc.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 12, 2018 23:47 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #12

Good to know, there is a 1.4x ii going really cheap at the moment locally so I should just get it and compare it with the 2x iii that I've ordered

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 12, 2018 23:48 |  #13

I found a 2x iii rather cheap used so I've ordered it, hopefully I'll see it in the next couple of days, if I don't like it, i'll just sell it and consider it a learning experience

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,188 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 13, 2018 00:22 |  #14

Having just received my 5D4 this morning and doing some quick and dirty 'side by side' shots w/ my 7DII and 1.4x III, I find that the difference between bare lens on the 7DII and the same lens + 1.4 on the 5D is pretty negligible. I suspect you'd find that the 1.4 + 300 works fairly well for you on the 1Dx. That said, it sounds like your setup is pretty good anyway.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,408 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 13, 2018 01:50 |  #15

Milutiche wrote in post #18584202 (external link)
Good to know, there is a 1.4x ii going really cheap at the moment locally so I should just get it and compare it with the 2x iii that I've ordered

there was a 1.4x MK II that went for NZ$250 on sunday...

I'm betting dollars to donuts that you'll use a 1.4x more than a 2x TC...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

4,942 views & 8 likes for this thread
1DX vs 7D2 my little observation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.