Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Mar 2018 (Wednesday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color issue help or advice

cigargreg
258 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 07:59 |  #1

I have 2 BenQ SW2700's and it was a pain in the ass to get them to match when I did the first calibration. I have a Datacolor Spyder5 I used with Benq's software. I had to redo it multiple times and some of them were way off. I am not a 100% it's still correct my prints are close but we but I have not really printed much since I got the monitors. Anyway, my issue started when we were looking at colors to paint our house. We looked at a few online then went and got color swatches. When I compare these to what I see on the monitor there are not even close. I am tempted to buy an x rite i1 but don't want to spend 250 if there is something else I am missing. Thanks for the help.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 07, 2018 08:09 |  #2

How/why do you expect the source files (online paint swatches) to be correct?

Big mistake.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 08:12 |  #3

Fwiw, the xrite color munki is the same device as the one you mention, they just include different software and slow down the process. Got mine on sale for 140

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,524 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2018 08:17 |  #4

cigargreg wrote in post #18579589 (external link)
I have 2 BenQ SW2700's and it was a pain in the ass to get them to match when I did the first calibration.

Match what? Each other?

kirk

Kirk
---

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by cigargreg.

Mar 07, 2018 08:20 |  #5

kirkt wrote in post #18579602 (external link)
Match what? Each other?

kirk

Yes, I would do a calibration on the first monitor then second and there were not even close. When I had a photo up in LR and a preview on the second there were totally different.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by cigargreg.

Mar 07, 2018 08:57 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579597 (external link)
Fwiw, the xrite color munki is the same device as the one you mention, they just include different software and slow down the process. Got mine on sale for 140

The reason I was looking at the x1 was it was on the supported list for the monitor software.

*Supported Calibrators: X-Rite i1 Display Pro / i1 Pro / i1 Pro 2 & Datacolor Spyder 4 / Spyder 5

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 09:37 |  #7

cigargreg wrote in post #18579604 (external link)
LR and a preview

the Mac program Preview?

I would recommend using the same file (duplicate something via Save a Copy) and open both versions in the same program.

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 09:42 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579658 (external link)
the Mac program Preview?

I would recommend using the same file (duplicate something via Save a Copy) and open both versions in the same program.

Same program Lightroom second monitor Loupe view (also windows OS)

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 09:42 |  #9

cigargreg wrote in post #18579630 (external link)
The reason I was looking at the x1 was it was on the supported list for the monitor software.

*Supported Calibrators: X-Rite i1 Display Pro / i1 Pro / i1 Pro 2 & Datacolor Spyder 4 / Spyder 5

I looked pretty long and hard when I bought mine and it sure seems that the files output were the same. You might want to call xrite, they have great support.

grab this file or make make one of your own. Yes it's not color but if you see any color casts in the grey bars it is a strong indicator of a bad calibration: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17621575

as in my above post, open duplicate copies of this file and compare it on both monitors.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 09:44 |  #10

cigargreg wrote in post #18579660 (external link)
Same program Lightroom second monitor Loupe view (also windows OS)

i only used light room for a short while, but doesn't it create thumbnails for full screen images then only access the full res file for the loupe view?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2018 09:45 |  #11

just getting my post count up here. :D

if the spyder has an ambient sensor, is it possible that the light it sees from one monitor to the other is different?

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 09:57 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579663 (external link)
i only used light room for a short while, but doesn't it create thumbnails for full screen images then only access the full res file for the loupe view?

I am not 100% sure, I just use it for overlay and histogram and other data so my main screen is just the photo and toolbar. What I am trying to say if I took a white image and put it the same window in between both monitors one would be white and the other really yellow. The Data Color correction seem really warm and does not match on both monitors. If I set it to one of the default profiles they match (the SW2700 has preset proiles for argb, srgb, B&W ect)

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 10:01 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579666 (external link)
just getting my post count up here. :D

if the spyder has an ambient sensor, is it possible that the light it sees from one monitor to the other is different?

I do not think so, the light very similar for both. I do not have a lamp or something on one and not the other. The reason why I doubt the datacolor is a few tries it would completely screw it up and everything would be purple.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 07, 2018 10:12 |  #14

i'm pretty much out of options here, but are you saying that you can't get consistent results on both monitors? Or is it just the one that is different pretty much every time you re-calibrate?

you'd be surprised how much ambient can effect the calibration. If the sensor sees you have some mulit colored shirt on it will mess it up.

cigargreg
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 07, 2018 10:42 |  #15

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18579678 (external link)
i'm pretty much out of options here, but are you saying that you can't get consistent results on both monitors? Or is it just the one that is different pretty much every time you re-calibrate?

you'd be surprised how much ambient can effect the calibration. If the sensor sees you have some mulit colored shirt on it will mess it up.

I understand I guess I'll just get the x1 and see. I have read a few places that the spyder 5 has accuracy issues.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,518 views & 3 likes for this thread
Color issue help or advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.