Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Mar 2018 (Wednesday) 09:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travel advice gear italy

Luxx
475 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 07, 2018 09:44 |  #1

I am going on a cruise to Italy and am wondering what people suggest for gear.
I worry about security at airports. I worry about pick pockets. I worry about all day tours where I'm trying to see a lot in a small amount of time and have to move quickly.

I think we are talking landscape, environmental portrait and museums

Cameras
I have 5div, 6dii, 7dii and a well used 6d

Lenses I am considering
100-400 ii l is
70-200 2.8 ii l is
24-70 2.8 ii
16-35 4 l is
24-105 stm
35 2 is
50 .8
85 1.8

Not considering
85 1.4 l is
300 2.8
10-18

I am not opposed to purchasing a new lens if there is a compelling argument

I also wonder what kind of bag or strap to get to deter pick pockets

My current thought is
5div
24-105 is stm
16-35 f4 is
35 is 2

Light, low light with is.
Problem not much reach. Do I need it?

Thought on gear and bags/straps?

Lux

sponsored links
LJ3Jim
975 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 07, 2018 12:24 |  #2

Have a wonderful trip! Max focal length of 105 wouldn't be long enough for me, but I wouldn't want to lug the 100-400 II, either. My wife has the EF 70-300 II, and it works really well. It's just $440 at Canon refurbished. I also wouldn't want just one body. I'd take the 7D2 as well. I don't have any suggestions for a bag or strap.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 07, 2018 13:39 |  #3

We were in Italy a couple of years ago and the only lens I brought was a 16-35 f/4. It was perfect for The Coliseum, Pompeii, Venice, Florence, The Vatican and The Roman Forum. I never found any need for anything longer or wider. Others may, (and have) disagree, but traveling light works best for me.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,634 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2018 15:18 |  #4

I have been to Italy many times, big cities and small villages. My experience showed that the optimal focal length when there is a 24-105 or something similar. 24-70 is too short for me, but can still be used. Sometimes I did want to have something wider, so I started taking my 17-40 as well, and about 30 percent of the shots were done with that lens.

I tried to bring a longer telephoto with me, but quickly realized that I did not use them at all. 200mm, 300mm, let alone 400mm - all too long for narrow streets, or wide plazas, or inside cathedrals. I sometimes pulled them out to shoot architectural details, but it was not worth carrying that weight around.

Airport security is not anything special you should be concerned about. I came home to the States from Paris just two days ago, had two cameras in the bag (one mine, the other wife's), and nobody bothered me, either in Boston or in Paris. Once, I do not remember now in which European country, I was asked to open the bag and show the camera, but that's all.

Pickpocketing in tourist places in Europe, particularly Rome, Paris, Barcelona, etc., is something to be aware about, but not much of a concern. Just be aware of your surrounding, do not flash your money, don't put your wallet in the back pocket of your pants (I always carry it in my front pocket when there), do not put your camera bag on an empty chair in an outdoor cafe but rather put it on the floor next to you. Just exercise common sense and you will be fine.

Yes, I did have an experience of a pickpocketer trying to stick her hand in my wife's purse in Barcelona metro once. But it was only one such a case over more than twenty years of frequent trips to Europe.

Have fun there, Italy is a beautiful country.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,062 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA.

Mar 07, 2018 15:27 |  #5

I'd definitely take the 16-35 and 24-105 and maybe the 70-200. Only on one occasion have I found an absolute need for a long lens and that was to capture some wild boar off the patio of a house we had rented near Sienna.

By the way since you are cruising Venice might be on the itinerary. If so check my comments specific to Venice at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1492826.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 08, 2018 09:10 |  #6

Lbsimon wrote in post #18579831 (external link)
I have been to Italy many times, big cities and small villages. My experience showed that the optimal focal length when there is a 24-105 or something similar. 24-70 is too short for me, but can still be used. Sometimes I did want to have something wider, so I started taking my 17-40 as well, and about 30 percent of the shots were done with that lens.

I tried to bring a longer telephoto with me, but quickly realized that I did not use them at all. 200mm, 300mm, let alone 400mm - all too long for narrow streets, or wide plazas, or inside cathedrals. I sometimes pulled them out to shoot architectural details, but it was not worth carrying that weight around.

Airport security is not anything special you should be concerned about. I came home to the States from Paris just two days ago, had two cameras in the bag (one mine, the other wife's), and nobody bothered me, either in Boston or in Paris. Once, I do not remember now in which European country, I was asked to open the bag and show the camera, but that's all.

Pickpocketing in tourist places in Europe, particularly Rome, Paris, Barcelona, etc., is something to be aware about, but not much of a concern. Just be aware of your surrounding, do not flash your money, don't put your wallet in the back pocket of your pants (I always carry it in my front pocket when there), do not put your camera bag on an empty chair in an outdoor cafe but rather put it on the floor next to you. Just exercise common sense and you will be fine.

Yes, I did have an experience of a pickpocketer trying to stick her hand in my wife's purse in Barcelona metro once. But it was only one such a case over more than twenty years of frequent trips to Europe.

Have fun there, Italy is a beautiful country.

Lisbon.......... I mean Lbsimon...... every time I see his posts I think of Portugal.
Speaking of Portugal and other cities and countries in Europe, I travel heavy and in Photography as well.
2 Gripped 5D Mark III's with a 16-35 f/4 L IS, 24-70 f/4 L IS and now the 70-200 f/4 L IS in place of my 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II. All carried for walking around in a ThinkTank Retrospective 40, unfortunately discontinued. Plus a 24mm TS-E Tilt Shift in room for crucial Shift on tripod.
Yes it's heavy, real heavy. However I am a huge lover of the Architectural details that grabs this Greek's eye. It's in my genes.
Whether Italy, Spain, Germany or yes Portugal I need a 70-200. That is me. If I was forced to bring only two lenses, I would bring the 16-35 f/4 L IS. I actually bought the 16-35 f/4 L IS a few days before a spontaneous trip to Rome a few years back. Having IS was key as my old 17-40 f/4 L would not allow me to shoot Hand Held at say 1/10" inside the Basilica's where tripods are prohibited. Definitely recommend bringing the 16-35 f/4 L IS. Having the 24-105 allows you more reach than a 24-70. Is it worth the additional weight for the 70-200 range? That's your call. I still have my old trusty 24-105 as well for those one lens strolls. Still having the 70-200 f/4 L IS I thought I was going to unload years ago has paid off now that I am on the other side of 50.
Whether walking around Europe with exposed gear all day or anywhere in any situation, I learned years back from my father a retired Army Officer, Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings. Enjoy life.
Enjoy Italy.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

RodneyCyr
613 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 08, 2018 12:45 |  #7

I suggest that, for Europe, the OP should take his 7D2 and 10-18 for interiors and something at least as long as 18-135 for architectural details and people-pictures. The OP also mentioned a cruise. He will want that 10-18 for ship interiors.

My 72-year-old back tells me to travel light. On my 80D my Sigma 18-300 covers just about everything. I usually also carry something super-wide, such as my 10-22 or fisheye. Although the Sigma isn't as good as most, if not all, of the other lenses mentioned in this thread, it is good enough for my needs.

As far as gear, document, and money safety during the trip, I have been using various wallets, passport cases, and camera/laptop bags from an outfit called PacSafe. You can order directly from them, from Corporate Travel Safety, or from Amazon.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 08, 2018 12:53 as a reply to  @ Nick5's post |  #8

Lbsimon, Lisbon, what is the difference? And actually preferred Porto! :-)

I am a 67 year old medium built man. Traveling with the load like yours - two cameras and three lens - would kill any enjoyment of travel for me. I only take one camera with two lenses that sit in the bottom compartment of my LowePro FastPack 250, with a bottle of water, travel books, a rain coat, and some other needed things in the top compartment. With that I can walk for hours on end, particularly with the camera hanging on a cross shoulder BlackRapid strap.

Maybe if I were in my 20's, I might be carrying a bigger load without even noticing it. That's what my wife usually tells me... :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Luxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
475 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 09, 2018 22:23 |  #9

Most people seem to think 16-35 covers most of what I'll need on full frame (10-18 on aps-c though if I bring 2 bodies on this trip I think it would be 2 full frame since I'm not expecting to be shooting wildlife). I think I'll bring my 5div though considering the 6d as back up and maybe to let my kids use. As for weight. In theory I have a teenage son who can carry infinite weight even if my legs don't allow me to do that anymore.

More specific questions
1)if I want a walk around lens is the 16-35 going to be suffice to or my 24-70iiLis, my 24-105 stm is or do I purchase 24-70 4 or 24-105 4?
2)do I need a longer lens? Some have suggested bringing a 70-200. I assume I will be taking pictures of people n cool places (environmental portraits) and landscapes. Do I need a longer lens in Rome? In Pompeii?. If I do is my 100-400 sufficient? It's pretty heavy? Do I purchase 70-200 l4 is? 70-300ii is?
3)any particular pacsafe bags or straps anyone likes?
4)any particular filter really useful?
5)can you use a tripod anywhere? Is it worth bringing one?

Lux

CEITam
34 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Mar 10, 2018 01:38 as a reply to  @ Luxx's post |  #10

I was in Italy for 3.5 weeks maybe 5 years ago. IIRC, I would not bring a lens longer than 24-105. Sure, there might be some situations where you might miss a longer lens, but I think it would be few and not worth the weight. After all, you’re traveling and want your pictures to show the background so you can identify the location.

Tripod is nice for night time and group photos that include yourself. I think it’s worth it if you have a good quality, light, and compact travel tripod (you don’t want something big for travel). But know that tripods are mostly not allowed in interior spaces like museums and churches. IS would be useful there.

drmaxx
969 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 10, 2018 02:57 |  #11

You are on a cruise - bring a 100-400 for use from the ship (you'll cruise along the coast a lot I guess). As for going on land: I like light and easy - one lens (for me generally 24-70). If it's not wide enough there is always the option of making a composite picture in post. But there is so much to see and to experience that I would not want to fiddle around with camera gear all the time.

Donate if you love POTN

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,062 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 10, 2018 06:44 |  #12

drmaxx wrote in post #18581589 (external link)
You are on a cruise - bring a 100-400 for use from the ship (you'll cruise along the coast a lot I guess). As for going on land: I like light and easy - one lens (for me generally 24-70). If it's not wide enough there is always the option of making a composite picture in post. But there is so much to see and to experience that I would not want to fiddle around with camera gear all the time.

As a former merchant marine and naval officer I definitely would not take a 100-400mm! Cruise ships are several miles off the shoreline except when docking. And the bigger the ships the more remote they dock from the city center so you do not see anything in the way of a photo op. Cruise itineraries are a marketing ploy. Many show you go to Rome for example; you actually go to Civitavecchia, almost a hour (by bus) from the heart of Rome.

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 10, 2018 07:04 |  #13

If Venice is on your itinerary please do some reading up on the rip off in the restaurants , particularly on St Marks Square.
I don't know if you see the reports on your side on the pond but our press has carried reports of horrendous tourist rip offs , like 500 euro for some fried fish-which BTW is priced per 100 grms!

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

drmaxx
969 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 10, 2018 07:40 |  #14

John from PA wrote in post #18581662 (external link)
As a former merchant marine and naval officer I definitely would not take a 100-400mm! Cruise ships are several miles off the shoreline except when docking. And the bigger the ships the more remote they dock from the city center so you do not see anything in the way of a photo op.

For example:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

:-) But you are right - it depends on the cruise and the photo ops you are looking out for. Delphine along the ship are quite neat and so are harbors - but that's me.

Donate if you love POTN

artyH
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 10, 2018 08:44 |  #15

Wide is what is needed in Italy. I would take the lenses you are planning to take. The 35 F2 IS will work for low light, and the short zoom will do most of the rest. Personally, I would just walk around with one lens and leave the others behind. I have been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Padua and San Marino, and never wanted more than the equivalent of 50 mm on full frame.

sponsored links

11,415 views & 14 likes for this thread
Travel advice gear italy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.