Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 08 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I crazy to think I could shoot weddings with just medium format?

benji25
971 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 08, 2018 14:10 |  #1

I have been a Fuji user for a few years now and I love the XT2 a lot. However the look of the GFX is pretty amazing - especially for portraits.

After thinking about it I could sell my whole kit and get a GFX. Which got me thinking - would/could I shoot with just a medium format camera? After thinking about it I think I would be fine up until the reception where things get a bit more fast paced.

Thoughts?

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
thc1979
516 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 08, 2018 15:06 |  #2

I’ve been considering ditching my canon gear and having an Olympus OMD1.2 kit and medium format kit. Between them there’s very few limits

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 08, 2018 15:11 as a reply to  @ thc1979's post |  #3

My other thought was keep an XT2 and 50-140 and compliment it with a gfx and 32-64.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 08, 2018 16:58 |  #4

Of course you could. But start practicing your manual focus skills now. I played around with my friends gfx in a well lit studio on a non moving subject. Took about 5 seconds to lock focus in the center of the screen. The autofocus is completely unacceptable for any "live" part of the wedding or reception. As a bridal / couple portrait camera however......

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,315 posts
Gallery: 257 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Two Hot Shoes. (4 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2018 17:15 |  #5

5 Seconds! Wow, I found it locked on pretty quick, for a medium format, but still no where near that slow. Must get another borrow soon as perhaps my memory is a goldenly haze due to it being a Fuji.

You could, depends on what/how you shoot, I'd sure bring it on for the bride/groom/family shots but I'd still like the smaller camera for the reportage aspect. Be good mix as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT:

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 08, 2018 17:48 |  #6

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18580613 (external link)
5 Seconds! Wow, I found it locked on pretty quick, for a medium format, but still no where near that slow. Must get another borrow soon as perhaps my memory is a goldenly haze due to it being a Fuji.

You could, depends on what/how you shoot, I'd sure bring it on for the bride/groom/family shots but I'd still like the smaller camera for the reportage aspect. Be good mix as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT:

I was focusing with a 50mm equivalent (not sure the exact lens) but the subject was quite small in the frame and it would hunt for a good 5 seconds before achieving focus. Even the example video you shared would be far too slow for a wedding. You rarely get stationary, contrasty subjects that fill a large part of the frame in a wedding. Also concerning that even after focusing on an object, when refocused the camera would take a fourth of a second to refocus. I would not trust that autofocus when you only have one chance to get it right. It's a heck of a portrait camera though.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,315 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Mar 08, 2018 18:10 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #7

That moment and gone part of weddings, always fun.

Probably great for the ring, candle lighting, kiss, those little glances over the shoulder at the bridesmaids, the groom looking worried etc.. though, like I said above, I'd still prefer the smaller Fujis for all the reportage stuff, I don't see using a GFX too easy there. David Stanbury shoots weddings on MF, but only the posed stuff.

I'd happily bring it out for the more static shots, but yes probably manual (or back button) focus it a lot alright. At least at the start. Now there is a whirring sound in the back of my head.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 08, 2018 18:33 |  #8

OMG, the world has turned into a bunch of 'instant' gratification freaks! Focus taking 3-5 seconds, that washing out the use of a camera for weddings.

Back in the days of film SLRs, do folks think really we could achieve accurate focus with that same speed, in dimly lit settings no less?!

The only limiting thing about the Fuji GSX that i could identify without pouring over the specs is the fact that X-sync is limited to 1/125 second...that is like reverting to the vertical metal focal plane shutters predating the EOS launch...the horzontal cloth 135 format SLR had only 1/60 for x-sync shutter. Synchro sun flash fill is out, with that limitation. That is the reason that Hassy and Bronica were so prevalent among wedding shooters...leaf shutters that permitted X-sync flash up to 1/500 shutter speed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,315 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 08, 2018 18:48 |  #9

Least HSS is usable now a days, even with the power drain.

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 08, 2018 19:02 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

HSS can sync up to full shutter speed though right?

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,315 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 08, 2018 19:11 |  #11

Yep, 1/4000 is the max shutter speed for the mechanical shutter (1/16,000 for the electronic shutter but no flash with that) or use ND filters to lower the ambient light.

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2018 20:01 |  #12

benji25 wrote in post #18580673 (external link)
HSS can sync up to full shutter speed though right?

But due to the way the flash has to spread out its light output over time, to permit the shutter slit to move across the frame, the light intensity drops by 2-3 EV, depending upon flash unit, and that is even at 1/3 EV faster than X-sych speed. Then for every additional -1EV faster shutter speed, the intensity drops yet another -1EV.

For example
X-sync at 1/125
with another -2EV (or it reaches 1/4 the original distance)

• At 1/160 output is down a minimum of -2EV (or it reaches half the original distance)
  • At 1/640 output is down -4EV total, (or it reaches 1/4 the original distance)
  • At 1/2560 output is down -6EV total, (or it reaches 1/8 the original distance)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 08, 2018 22:48 |  #13

Yeah, nah. How many weddings have you photographed?

It might work for a real wedding expert who's very experienced like @Wilt, but otherwise... nah. Too slow.

I don't think it's very practical. Also, the benefits are far outweighed by the downsides.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2018 01:28 |  #14

tim wrote in post #18580816 (external link)
Yeah, nah. How many weddings have you photographed?

It might work for a real wedding expert who's very experienced like @Wilt, but otherwise... nah. Too slow.

I don't think it's very practical. Also, the benefits are far outweighed by the downsides.

All of us had to learn at one point, so why is it that folks think that today's photographers are less up to the challenge of using a 'slow camera' to cover weddings?! Autofocus is generally so much faster than manual focus, especially so in the somewhat dim lighting encountered at receptions. Nobody has to change film magazines every 24-30 shots, or change film out of magazines. The days of 1fps top speed with motor winders are gone.
Is it merely the rush to shoot and deliver 3000 digital shots, rather than 300-500 film shots?! Denis Reggie used to offer his high end clients thousands of shots with a Hasselblad with NO WINDER!

echelonphoto
107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 09, 2018 09:40 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #15

I am old enough to admit I shot lots of weddings with medium format (hassleblad) no af, no zooms, no ttl, no hss. I actually attended a few seminars with Dennis...yes he shot very fast, cranking his film advance with his eye in the viewfinder, he used the big mecablitz flashes with a battery pack so the recycle was fast. His mantra was to be "reactive, not proactive" his posed shots actually kind of sucked. The real challenge those days was loading your 220 film backs quickly while following the action at the same time...you usually carried three backs, reloading as you went along....heaven help you if you started the ceremony sequence with a half full back....quite unnerving to change mags when the bride is sauntering up the aisle at a faster than normal pace! There was also the problem of the dark slide...I remember shooting a killer sequence of BG formals only to realize i had left the dark slide in the whole time. And you never carried two camera bodies on you. Our average image count at a wedding was about 350....you really couldn't afford to shoot more, given processing and proofing....unless you charged 50 grand like Dennis did. In some ways, I miss it , because you had to be very deliberate and make each shot count....today we can afford to be quick and sloppy, hoping to get one good shot out of 10.

I adopted digital early, but only as a novelty in addition to the hassies....I was finally in heaven when the canon 5d came out ...a digital camera with good af, great resolution and finally a replacement for film...whoah, you could actually shoot a wedding with zoom lenses! and ttl was quite good too. The files from that camera were so good, that I still have a few of the old portraits hanging...honestly, you can't really tell the difference between that and a 40 mpx image at normal viewing distances.

sponsored links

3,552 views & 21 likes for this thread
Am I crazy to think I could shoot weddings with just medium format?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.