Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

[Recommendations] TTL flash around $150 for basic Av shooting indoors

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
258 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Mar 11, 2018 04:09 |  #16

Bassat wrote in post #18582491 (external link)
Re-read my post. It seems a bit hostile; that is not what I meant. I'm just trying to say, "I AM CHEAP!"

:D

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,278 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 11, 2018 06:16 as a reply to  @ post 18582491 |  #17

Tt350 Godox units are $60, and have built in wireless....i am cheap too, and like these little flashes for travel, etc. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,609 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Bassat.

Mar 11, 2018 06:34 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18582530 (external link)
Tt350 Godox units are $60, and have built in wireless....i am cheap too, and like these little flashes for travel, etc. :)

Interesting. I looked at these at B&H ($85). The site is a bit ambiguous about compatibility with Canon's visible light control system. Do these units respond to a Canon optical master (80D, 580EX II, 550EX)? Do these units control (3-group) Canon slaves (550EX, 580EX II)?

Having just dumped my YN622 gear for incompatibility issues, I am fully committed to Canon's optical control system. Buying 1 of these may be feasible (under-powered compared to 550EX), but replacing all 5 of my current units makes no sense, to me.

EDIT:
Curiously, the B&H site mentions (or seems to) optical master/slave capabilities. The Godox site does not. Odd.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 11, 2018 08:40 |  #19

Wireless only works in the godox/flashpoint family of strobes and flashes... previously used versions at Adorama are $60.

Canon has no real equivalent to this flash. The v860ii and tt685 are the canon equivalents though.

Loxley
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 12, 2018 09:36 |  #20

Okay fellas no need to argue here. I received some good recommendations and made a decision. Wireless compatibility wasn't even something I mentioned I needed.

It might be best to start a new thread to debate budget wireless flash systems.

Thanks again for all the help.

Patrick
7D II | S150-600 C | C24 STM | Flashpoint R2 TTL | Benro COM48C + GH2

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2018 10:24 |  #21

Loxley wrote in post #18583521 (external link)
Okay fellas no need to argue here. I received some good recommendations and made a decision. Wireless compatibility wasn't even something I mentioned I needed.

It might be best to start a new thread to debate budget wireless flash systems.

Thanks again for all the help.

Glad you figured it out.

Nobody is arguing here, and since you brought up 3rd party, different 3rd party options were outlined, with some having added benefits beyond what you asked for, and beyond what Canon offers (ie. wireless).

Others might be in the same situation and can benefit as well from the discussions. Additionally it is good to bring up wireless, because many that worry about lighting end up down the road of mixed flashes and strobes and wireless triggering, and it can save some hassles buying into that protocol early, rather than selling off old gear and buying again. ;)

Also we already have a couple large lighting/flash/wireles​s threads out there now, a couple are several hundred pages long! :D

inkista
563 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 13, 2018 14:48 |  #22

Bassat wrote in post #18582535 (external link)
Interesting. I looked at these at B&H ($85). The site is a bit ambiguous about compatibility with Canon's visible light control system. Do these units respond to a Canon optical master (80D, 580EX II, 550EX)?

No. Unlike the TT685 or V860II, the TT350 has no smart optical capability in any flavor. The TT685 and V860II only have "smart" optical master/slave capability in the Canon, Nikon, and Sony flavors (not the Fuji or ยต4/3).

Do these units control (3-group) Canon slaves (550EX, 580EX II)?

Well, it can be an RF master to three groups in Godox's X system, but whether or not the 550EX can respond to the TTL/HSS/power control signalling via an X1R receiver is a possible issue. Just me, but I speculate that it's the Canon camera menu control over the smart optical wireless system that's been reverse engineered as a signalling protocol, and nearly all the pre-Mk II speedlights, which don't do camera menu communication, don't seem to work as well as those that do (430EXII/580EXII and later models).

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

6,124 views & 1 like for this thread
[Recommendations] TTL flash around $150 for basic Av shooting indoors
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.