Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 10 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Varago (showing now: Varago)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money10
Bokeh9
Sharpness9.5
Contrast9.5
Focusing9
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 Di VC USD

Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 Di VC USD, reviewed by Varago

Varago
172 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 10, 2018 18:17 |  #1

I have not seen any review here for the Tamron 100-400 4.5-6.3 so here it comes :)

I have used the Sigma 100-400 F 5-6.3 for about a year and was never really happy with it. The focus and IS were not great but the IQ was great. Also it does not work with extenders, it is listed on the Sigma site for use in manual focus only with a 1.4 or 2.0 not to mention no tripod mount :( The weather resistance seal is at only at the mount which from what Sigma says is 75% percent of their problems with water/dust.

I was intrigued by the early reviews of the Tamron 100-400 so took a chance and ordered one from B&H. In the side by side comparison the Tamron was a hair sharper at 40 ft at all FL's, but I would think well within production tolerance. You had to be at 100% to see any difference. I did find the focus faster and more consistent with the Tamron and the VC better than the Sigma OS. At 67 I could get 3 stops with the Tamron and 2 with the Sigma.

The two things that were a major advantage to the Tamron for ME were weather resistance and the Tamron worked great on my M5 as well as my 7D MII. Sigma shows the 100-400 C sealed at the mount but Tamron shows their 100-400 has 10 seals from the mount to the front element.

Dustin Abbott has a good final review you may want to watch

So now the Sigma is on consignment.

7DII, M5
Canon 24-105 L II, 50 1.8 stm, 11-22 M, 22 M, 15-45 M, 18-150 M, 270EX II, 320EX, 430EX II, BG-E16
Sigma 18-35 A, 50-150 2.8 OS, 150-600 C, 1.4x tc1401, 2X EX
Tamron 35 1.8 SP, 100-400

Chris_71
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 16, 2018 18:53 |  #2

Been thinking about buying one of these for birding in good light. Thanks for the review.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,093 views & 2 likes for this thread
Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 Di VC USD, reviewed by Varago
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.