Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 12:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom Update question

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2018 20:28 |  #16

Bassat wrote in post #18583163 (external link)
I get that. Thanks. What is the reason for putting it there, @Archibald?

That part of the message is directed to the name after the @.

So @Bassat means this is for Bassat.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,607 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 11, 2018 20:32 |  #17

Archibald wrote in post #18583167 (external link)
That part of the message is directed to the name after the @.

So @Bassat means this is for Bassat.

Thanks. You mean like, "This is directed AT-Bassat." Makes perfect sense. I must be getting old. :)

Tom

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2018 20:41 |  #18

Bassat wrote in post #18583171 (external link)
Thanks. You mean like, "This is directed AT-Bassat." Makes perfect sense. I must be getting old. :)

See http://mentalfloss.com …537/8-uses-symbol-twitter (external link)

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Bassat
7,607 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 11, 2018 20:49 |  #19

Ok. #1 seems to be the explanation I need. Though I must admit to having no idea what a Twitter is.

Tom

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2018 22:04 |  #20

Bassat wrote in post #18583178 (external link)
Ok. #1 seems to be the explanation I need. Though I must admit to having no idea what a Twitter is.

#NotATwit, I would say that you are lucky to not know what Twitter is. Twitter being an IMO inane social media platform that encourages you to post short limited character updates of everything you do, for your "followers" to read. No I don't Tweet, but I have used the platform a little. It's where the #tag thing comes from too.

I'm only in my 50s, but I'm really glad we didn't have all this social media stuff when I was a teenager, it was hard enough being at that age, without all this extra pressure to fit in.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Bassat
7,607 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 00:53 |  #21

BigAl007 wrote in post #18583221 (external link)
#NotATwit, I would say that you are lucky to not know what Twitter is. Twitter being an IMO inane social media platform that encourages you to post short limited character updates of everything you do, for your "followers" to read. No I don't Tweet, but I have used the platform a little. It's where the #tag thing comes from too.

I'm only in my 50s, but I'm really glad we didn't have all this social media stuff when I was a teenager, it was hard enough being at that age, without all this extra pressure to fit in.

Alan

Redundant.

Tom

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2018 01:08 |  #22

Bassat wrote in post #18583178 (external link)

Commonly used method of making quips about something or other, now often associated in the news with US governmental officials, even in the middle of the night so the quip does not always make sense.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
7,607 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 01:29 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #18583320 (external link)
Commonly used method of making quips about something or other, now often associated in the news with US governmental officials, even in the middle of the night so the quip does not always make sense.

You are looking at too narrow a view of the issue, Wilt. Social media does not make any sense. The term itself is one of the biggest misnomers in the English language. Its primary purpose is to deliver users' eyeballs to those paying for eyeballs. Its biggest evil is that it allows like-minded folks to congregate to the exclusion of 'disagreers'. That, my friend, is the antithesis of 'social'. It is the modern equivalent of television; another multi-billion dollar industry whose sole purpose is make a commodity of the masses, and make money for the platforms owners, and make money for the advertisers. Mark Zuckerberg didn't come up with the idea of FaceBook to keep you in touch with people you'd otherwise never talk to again. He came up with Facebook to sell advertising because he knew millions would use it. Nation of cows, and all that. Think Pavlov's people.

Tom

lacogada
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by lacogada.

Mar 12, 2018 04:25 |  #24

Bassat wrote in post #18583133 (external link)
This isn't the first time I've seen "@" in front of someone's name in a reply/qoute. What does it mean?

I sometimes put that in there instead of replying to each indivual post with quote.

Not familiar with twitter either.

Bassat
7,607 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 05:44 |  #25

lacogada wrote in post #18583387 (external link)
I sometimes put that in there instead of replying to each indivual post with quote.

Got it. Thanks. I am learning.

Tom

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,081 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 12, 2018 08:25 |  #26

Some forum software will notify you that someone has mentioned you in a thread if you use the @ symbol in front of their name. I'm not sure if this home grown software does that.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2018 09:36 |  #27

There have been some issues updating to 6.14 because key files may be missing from previous updates. Scroll down to the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 and download the Application Installer. You can also download previous versions of LR and CS as long as you have the key code.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …/lightroom-downloads.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

birderman
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 13, 2018 08:10 |  #28

LR Updates can be direct download from http://prodesigntools.​com …ks-windows.html#lightroom (external link)
Useful when computer with LR installed doesn't have internet access.....
HTH

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 13, 2018 10:34 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #29

Tom,
I was not rationalizing the reason for the existence of 'social media', I was providing a definition of Twitter specifically to someone not familiar with it.

BTW, I don't disagree with your description. I view it as a means for folks simply to express their opinion on any topic, as if it really mattered to the world at large. A 'platform', a 'soapbox', a means of getting reinforcement of one's opinions from those of like opinion (and dissenters matter not).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

lacogada
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by lacogada.

Mar 13, 2018 11:19 |  #30

birderman wrote in post #18584371 (external link)
LR Updates can be direct download from http://prodesigntools.​com …ks-windows.html#lightroom (external link)
Useful when computer with LR installed doesn't have internet access.....
HTH

Thanks for the link.
Downloaed the original 6.0 from adobe when I upgraded.

Downloaded versions 6.6, 6.12, and 6.14 from links.

Installed 6.0 on computer with no internet connection. When asked to sign I chose "sign in later".
Input my serial number from adobe. No problems with install.

Decided to try the 6.6 ver update.
That installed with no problems and to my surprise it has the "Dehaze" slider under "Effects",
which I've read was only available with the CC subscription.

Do not see any reason to try later versionsat this time.

sponsored links

2,792 views & 4 likes for this thread
Lightroom Update question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.