Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2018 (Monday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering selling my 300 2.8 IS II

GW2
109 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 12, 2018 07:36 |  #1

My heart is a little sad to think of selling what I felt was the holy grail of lenses for me. I shot the last couple years my kids HS sports with it. The pictures, especially in daylight, were stunningly sharp and I was very proud of them. Now it is in it's second year without coming out of the case. I am looking for some advice/consoling on what to do with a lens that I want to justify keeping. But, the frugal part of me says not to keep the money tied up in tech that will become obsolete eventually. Am I just struggling with the sentimental value because of the pics taken with it? Probably just need a professional to tell me I am a dumbass.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,330 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 12, 2018 07:57 |  #2

GW2 wrote in post #18583445 (external link)
Probably just need a professional to tell me I am a dumbass.

A professional what? Psychiatrist? :D

2 years is a long time. IMO those little parts and pieces need to be used to stay in good shape. It doesn't sound like you just need cash, but what else could you do/buy to fill the void in your heart?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,609 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 08:05 |  #3

GW2 wrote in post #18583445 (external link)
My heart is a little sad to think of selling what I felt was the holy grail of lenses for me. I shot the last couple years my kids HS sports with it. The pictures, especially in daylight, were stunningly sharp and I was very proud of them. Now it is in it's second year without coming out of the case. I am looking for some advice/consoling on what to do with a lens that I want to justify keeping. But, the frugal part of me says not to keep the money tied up in tech that will become obsolete eventually. Am I just struggling with the sentimental value because of the pics taken with it? Probably just need a professional to tell me I am a dumbass.

I am a professional. You are a dumbass. Done. Now stop worrying about it. :)

Tom

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2018 08:42 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Your kids do not play sports anymore??? Frankly, is not much else you can use with that lens other than shooting sports. Is 300mm. Is not long enough for bird photography. You can spend MORE money for a converter and that may just enough for shooting some larger birds. Is a slippery slop because you will eventually want a 500mm or 600mm. Hehehhehee..... Yeah, sell it and may be getting lens you will use and need.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,529 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 12, 2018 11:30 |  #5

2 years with no use and you don't foresee yourself needing/using it in the future.....only logical option seems to sell it and put the funds towards something you'll actually use and enjoy :)

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 404 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 12, 2018 11:39 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18583467 (external link)
I am a professional. You are a dumbass. Done. Now stop worrying about it. :)

... and send me that lens quick. :grin:

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

3Rotor
765 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 12, 2018 12:19 |  #7

If I were in your shoes, I think my compromise would be to free up some funds by replacing it with the 100-400 II. Granted, you'll lose some speed and a bit of IQ but you'll gain versatility. That way you won't have a lot of funds tied up and still have the reach for when you may need it. That is if you still use your other gear?

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

GW2
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 12, 2018 14:22 as a reply to  @ 3Rotor's post |  #8

Thanks folks. I needed the kick in the posterior.

I had thought about the 100-400 (but forgot) which is what I would take on a safari, if I ever go. Thanks for reminding me.

sponsored links

701 views & 3 likes for this thread
Considering selling my 300 2.8 IS II
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.