Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New, but old question on Canon RT solution...

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,653 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 10, 2018 21:22 |  #16

i wish i had seen these mounts (or had heard about them) when i started building my speedlite lighting kit...

i made brackets that will hold the speedlte in this orientation but it would have been easier and not much more money to have gone with these mounts

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,971 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 10, 2018 22:27 |  #17

I have just entered the Godox/Flashpoint system and I and absolutely astonished at the apparent quality of this gear at the price point it is going for.

I purchased a Streaklight 360 TTL which is a really powerful unit which has radio transmitter and receiver built in and aso has HSS capability. I got this light from Adorama as a "open box" item for $299. I don't see any evidence of the box being opened...

I also purchased a R2 transceiver and a Zoom R2 hotshoe flash which doesn't have ETTL but, does do HSS.

The accessories for the Flashpoint/Godox flash line are comprehensive and relatively inexpensive. My first purchase was the dual "Y" power cord to increase the recycle time of the 360. It appears that shooting at 1/128 or 1/64 power, the recharge of the strobe will keep pace with the slow burst rate of the Canon 7D Mark 2. I am going to do some comprehensive testing to establish limits to the capabilities of this combination. I also bought a guard to protect the flash tube and a globe diffuser which, I suspect might be nice for run and gun shooting.

I am waiting for delivery of an 18-inch folding beauty dish which, I think will be nice for outdoor fill light.

At first, I had a bit of a problem getting the 360 and the Zoom R2 flashes to sync up with the R2 Transceiver. But, when all else seemed to fail, I read the instructions :rolleyes: and the setup is now working just great.

I have not yet played with my Canon 600EX-RT flash as either a slave or a master. If I cannot get it to work as I had hoped:-(, I will probably sell the 600 and purchase the closest Flashpoint in capability.

One thing that I have decided definitely not to do is to power my Canon 600EX-RT flash off the Flashpoint battery pack. It is supposed to be feasible but, I have heard too many scare stories to try thatvmad

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Ah-keong
735 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 10, 2018 22:34 |  #18

I would get another 600EX-RT II and one 430EX-RT III.
Have you considered solutions from Nissin and Phottix?

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100mm ZE | Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

mike1812
322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 11, 2018 09:25 |  #19

RPCrowe wrote in post #18623583 (external link)
I also bought a guard to protect the flash tube and a globe diffuser which, I suspect might be nice for run and gun shooting.

I have not yet played with my Canon 600EX-RT flash as either a slave or a master. If I cannot get it to work as I had hoped:-(, I will probably sell the 600 and purchase the closest Flashpoint in capability.

That globe diffuser is very useful. Now that I have an AD600 and 2 AD200's, I use the 360 with the globe diffuser to light the backdrop when I do portrait/beauty work.

You can add a Flashpoint Canon receiver to the 600EX-RT to trigger it from the Flashpoint R2 unit. This allows you to control and trigger the Canon flashes as part of an overall lighting setup combined with Flashpoint strobes. Shameless plug - I actually have 3 of the receivers I'm about to put up for sale here - I sold off all my Canon flash gear (actually ALL my Canon gear since I moved to Sony) and no longer need them.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,174 views & 7 likes for this thread
New, but old question on Canon RT solution...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.