Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 19 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anybody living in Japan?

alainphoto
401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 28, 2011 22:19 |  #976

John there is no question you did very well !

Shichi-go-san, Tokyo - clic for HD version

IMAGE: http://www.alaindavreux.com/photography/Alain-Davreux_4-026-541-1.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.alaindavreu​x.com …p?page=4-026-541-1&s=1920  (external link)

http://www.alaindavreu​x.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
JessAlba452
107 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 29, 2011 14:04 |  #977

I went to Tokyo in '08 on vacation. Found it to be a great place with great culture and people!

It'll be a long time before I'll be able to afford to go back, but it was fun while I was there and was glad to be able to take a few pictures.

One of my favorites.

Looking out Tokyo Tower -

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5202/5314639953_d7d040359c_b.jpg

Canon 40D | BG-E2 Grip | Canon 17-85mm | Yongnuo RF-602 | Yongnuo YN-468 | Phottix Cleon II
Flickr (external link)

gratchie
957 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 30, 2011 18:51 |  #978

I'm going to japan this April, very excited for cherry blossoms photo op! :D

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jan 30, 2011 21:01 |  #979

gratchie wrote in post #11744930 (external link)
I'm going to japan this April, very excited for cherry blossoms photo op! :D

When in April?
Where we live, the blossoms are usually over by April 6th, or thereabouts!

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

gratchie
957 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 30, 2011 21:16 |  #980

We'll be there by April 13 to April 28. I hope we won't be too late for the cherry blossom season

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

skygod44
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 30, 2011 22:03 |  #981

gratchie wrote in post #11745792 (external link)
We'll be there by April 13 to April 28. I hope we won't be too late for the cherry blossom season

Just checked out some "Cherry blossom festival" websites for you, and last year, down here in Kyushu, you'd have missed them all....but it depends where you're going to be visiting.
Seems some festivals are still on during your planned dates, if you'll be somewhere from Gifu Prefecture (basically, mid-Honshu) northwards - which includes Tokyo, on up to Hokkaido.

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

bjammmin
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 06, 2011 11:58 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #982

Hey everyone, this is a great thread. I just joined the forums, although I've been lurking for years, to say that I'm going to be visiting Tokyo from the 11th through the 20th! I'm really excited, and actually just upgraded DSLRs for the journey.

I'm going to have some free days while I'm there (full days on Sunday the 13th and Saturday the 19th), and plan to just trek around and see the sights/shoot pictures - I definitely want to see Shibuya and Harajuku. I'll be staying at Keio Plaza in Shinjuku. If anyone lives close by and has an itch to shoot some pictures for an afternoon, or just some tips on places I shouldn't miss from a photographer's perspective, I'd like to connect!

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 07, 2011 23:58 as a reply to  @ bjammmin's post |  #983

After a 17 month gap, we're going back to Japan early April:):):) We're flying into Tokyo, then taking the train through Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Kumamoto and Kagoshima, then flying back to Tokyo. Mainly visiting Jodo Shinshu Temples/shrines, but also seeing the Ise Shrine, Osaka Castle, Peace Memorial, etc.

Mainly with a tour group but we'll have 3 free days in Tokyo (1 during and 2 after the tour). Since we're staying near the Shinagawa station, we plan to use the Yamanote line and visit places near the Tokyo, Akihabara, Ueno, Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro stations. SInce the free days are Saturday, Wednesday and Thursday, is there any advantage in going to certain places on Saturday versus on a workday? Also, any must-see places near these stations that are not listed in most travel guides?

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 08, 2011 01:05 |  #984

Greetings - What are your dates?
Weather should be relatively good in early April.
You could think day trip to Kamakura in good weather, particularly if you have not been.
Asakusa also good, weekend or weekday.
Let us know dates and maybe a few of us can get together.
Cheers,
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

skygod44
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2011 07:10 as a reply to  @ john-in-japan's post |  #985

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, IF YOU GUYS CAN, CHECK IN TO POTN SO WE KNOW YOU'RE SAFE.

The TV on all channels down here in the south is terrifying and my family and I truly hope all our dear POTN friends are OK.

Dearly hoping to hear from each and every one of you soon.....
Simon and family.

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2011 07:36 |  #986

Safe here.
My hospital safe, patients safe. This was scary!!!!
We did lots of patient lateral evacuation, had two very small tsunami and the buildings really rocked!
Sendai is awful. In the morning light, I fear for the worst.
Swapnali is safe.
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

skygod44
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2011 07:38 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #987

I'm bumping this thread and linking to another one: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12000469#po​st12000469

200~300 bodies have just been found washed up in/around Miyagi Prefecture.

PLEASE CHECK IN TO POTN, ALL MEMBERS IN COASTAL AREAS SO WE KNOW YOU'RE SAFE.

skygod44
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2011 07:40 |  #988

john-in-japan wrote in post #12000463 (external link)
Safe here.
My hospital safe, patients safe. This was scary!!!!
We did lots of patient lateral evacuation, had two very small tsunami and the buildings really rocked!
Sendai is awful. In the morning light, I fear for the worst.
Swapnali is safe.
John

Thanks John for checking in....and for the news about Swapnali.
We're kinda in shock down here, and can't get in touch with my wife's brother - up in Tokyo - but we're sure it's simply because the keitai lines are overloaded.

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2011 19:34 |  #989

Adding: (Cross Posted)
Good Morning - As a long term resident of Japan, I have experienced many tremors. This was a bad one and I was 300km to the south of epicenter and about 80km south of Tokyo. The hospital where I work really shook and it got stronger, lasting at least 3-4 minutes with many, many aftershocks. We immediately began moving patients laterally to the newer buildings and all those who could be moved were moved higher than the first floors. Many, like ICU patients could not be safely moved. Fortunately, we only experienced minor cracks and two small tsunami which came ashore, but they did not breach the seawall in front of the hospital. We were lucky, being about 50 meters from the ocean front. We had perhaps 30 minutes warning on possible tsunami. Although the prediction was for 1 meter tsunami, we still took lateral evacuation precautions for all easily ambulatory inpatients. We had more than 790 patients in the house as well as perhaps 2000 visitors as it was mid afternoon. Out outpatient clinic had perhaps 1500 people in the building, all moved to third floor. Clinic is modern and built to current seismic requirements. Japan’s reporting is lightning fast and accurate. Some hospitals in Sendai could not move patients, even those ambulatory because of a single building with first floor under water and no power. Patients died there. It breaks my heart. Our biggest concern was for renal dialysis. We have a 74 bed unit. Water stoppage was a real risk. We do have emergency power but these patients were half way through a 4 hour cycle. And scared. Could not get up and leave as you can imagine. We made sure water supply was safe and emergency water was available if needed. Fortunately, at no time did we lose power, but communities close to us did lose power and to top it off, cell phones did not work, overloaded by callers trying to reach loved ones. My hospital uses low power PHS phones, and they worked well, so we had no internal communication difficulties. Out emergency HQ location was staffed almost immediately, and each and every patient was accounted for through a lengthy process we have practiced just in case of this kind of event happens with no warning. Practice makes perfect but….we had intact buildings. The combination of a major earthquake combined with a tsunami is the perfect storm for hospitals. We don’t have the time nor resources to get all patients to higher ground if buildings are severely compromised and a tsunami is imminent. This was a good learning lesson for us, sad but true. It could have been much worse, like our neighbors to the north and my heart goes out to them since I know what they are experiencing in the communities and the hospitals affected. The large fireball explosion you saw was close to us, less than a 40 minute drive from here and lit up the sky. Aftershocks continue even this morning as I type this. Nagano had a 6+ magnitude earthquake last night which may not be related to the one yesterday afternoon. I am scheduled to be at a hospital there to talk about JCI on Monday. May not be possible. Some rail lines are down or considered unsafe. Ahhhhh….big tremor just now. Building creaking. I better close this out. I am at work, Still worried about our patients and staff.
I hope all of you who receive this are well and stay safe.
John

JohnW

swapnali
THREAD ­ STARTER
655 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 12, 2011 19:18 |  #990

Thanks a lot guys :)
We are safe at tokyo.
Anybody from the north east Japan here? Please confirm your status. Please let me know if you need to give any messages or need any help etc.

Swapnali http://www.swapnali.co​m (external link)
---------------
Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 20D, Canon Kiss Lite (Film)
EF 24-70 f2.8 L,EF 100-400L,EF-S 17-85mm,EF 50mm 1.8 II, Flash 580EX II,EF 28-90 + 90-300 Kit lens, Kenko Extension Tube set.

sponsored links

109,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anybody living in Japan?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.