Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 02:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any tips for handling colored walls and on camera flash?

drmaxx
935 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 01, 2018 02:56 |  #1

Had my camera along to document an evening event. Usual set up: Canon 6d, 24-70, Speedlite - no off-camera gear, etc.. I am quite comfortable using bounce flash.
However, this event was in the green room. Green all over the place: walls, ceiling - even the floor had a green tint. The result predictably: all pictures have a very strong green tint that can not completely be compensated in post. Especially getting pleasant skin tones is very hard.

How do you deal with such situations? Any suggestion how to get better colors (except painting walls and moving the event...:-P).

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,196 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2018 23:44 |  #2

Shooting RAW helps a lot with getting that sort of ugly situation close to corrected. I think exposing to the right also helps a bit.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,427 posts
Gallery: 214 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2018 00:14 |  #3

Never happened to me, so I am not the voice of experience ... but ...

I guess you bounced the flash. The bounced light of course would be green. So the red and blue channels were underexposed. You shot raw, right? That allows you to fix the white balance in post. But the red and green channels, depending on how badly they were underexposed, might have clipped or ended up with tons of noise.

So as George mentioned, ETTR might have helped maintain a decent signal level in the R and B channels. You could have tried shooting direct (no bounce), with a suitable modifier to soften the light a bit. If you had known about the green beforehand, you might have (OK, impractical suggestion) put a magenta filter on the flash or the lens, if you could get such a filter and it was the right color.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 03, 2018 04:11 |  #4

Archibald: You hit the nail on the head.
Here's the example without any color correction. Not a good picture, but it shows the room and the geen (tint).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Here's an example of the issue this causes. This is the best correction I can get with white balance, but there is still unpleasant green in the shadows and behind the glasses.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Donate if you love POTN

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by mystik610.

Apr 03, 2018 05:43 |  #5

Archibald wrote in post #18599231 (external link)
Never happened to me, so I am not the voice of experience ... but ...

I guess you bounced the flash. The bounced light of course would be green. So the red and blue channels were underexposed. You shot raw, right? That allows you to fix the white balance in post. But the red and green channels, depending on how badly they were underexposed, might have clipped or ended up with tons of noise.

So as George mentioned, ETTR might have helped maintain a decent signal level in the R and B channels. You could have tried shooting direct (no bounce), with a suitable modifier to soften the light a bit. If you had known about the green beforehand, you might have (OK, impractical suggestion) put a magenta filter on the flash or the lens, if you could get such a filter and it was the right color.

I think a magenta filter would have gone a long way. Flash gels are highly underutilized, but man they are a life saver when you have color casts to contend with in the field. I always keep a set in my bag. A magenta filter may not have perfectly corrected the green color cast....but it would have gotten the colors a lot closer to correct and given a greater chance of correcting things in post.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 03, 2018 06:38 |  #6

Did you use a bounce card?

Color Checker along with a slight gel would help too.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Mathmans
227 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 03, 2018 06:42 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

If you bounce flash from colored walls there is always a limit. You won't get the same skin tones as if you would shoot with off-camera flashes and umbrellas.
With bounce flash I would first try to get the best colors as possible in camera so I would set custom WB with gray card.
After that I would do a shot or two of colorchecker passport standing right in the middle of that table.
You would stil have to do some color adjustments in RAW converter.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,427 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2018 23:54 |  #8

You have wicked mixed light sources. There is the green bounced light but also the overhead fluorescent light, and maybe some direct light from the flash. There is no practical way to correct that.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 04, 2018 00:01 |  #9

Archibald wrote in post #18599821 (external link)
You have wicked mixed light sources. There is the green bounced light but also the overhead fluorescent light, and maybe some direct light from the flash. There is no practical way to correct that.

Underexpose the ambient to get rid of the color casts from the other light sources. From there you only need to correct the color cast coming from the bounced wall.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,427 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 04, 2018 00:10 |  #10

mystik610 wrote in post #18599823 (external link)
Underexpose the ambient to get rid of the color casts from the other light sources. From there you only need to correct the color cast coming from the bounced wall.

Certainly. I should have said no practical way to correct that now.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 04, 2018 00:24 |  #11

mystik610 wrote in post #18599823 (external link)

Really good idea! Will need to keep that in mind next time. It seems that strongly colored walls is all the rage here with our interior designers. They all over the place and I certainly will have a chance to use this technique. And I definitely need to have a look at gels.

Donate if you love POTN

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,238 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2018 01:18 |  #12

drmaxx wrote in post #18599828 (external link)
Really good idea! Will need to keep that in mind next time. It seems that strongly colored walls is all the rage here with our interior designers. They all over the place and I certainly will have a chance to use this technique. And I definitely need to have a look at gels.

Use gels only to try to correct light sources, but not to try to counteract 'contamination' of color walls. If you have a neutral reference target, it can provide you with a good reference for fixing in post processing. I just took a series of shots, with neutral reference, with daylight and then (underexposing ambient by -2EV) with flash unit bounce off ceiling with various tinted gels over the flash head to simulate bounce against various colored wall/ceiling.

Shot 1 is with daylight, shots 2,4,and 6 taken with various gels bounced off ceiling, then shots 3,5,and 7 are neutralized versions of 2, 4, 6 and 6 during post processing

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/gel%20tint_zps6jerwftk.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
40,238 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2018 18:36 |  #13

drmaxx wrote in post #18599292 (external link)
Archibald: You hit the nail on the head.
Here's the example without any color correction. Not a good picture, but it shows the room and the geen (tint).
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by drmaxx in
./showthread.php?p=185​99292&i=i233419334
forum: General Photography Talk

Here's an example of the issue this causes. This is the best correction I can get with white balance, but there is still unpleasant green in the shadows and behind the glasses.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by drmaxx in
./showthread.php?p=185​99292&i=i225201273
forum: General Photography Talk

To show what you can accomplish simply with using a sampler tool (the eyedropper in many different photo editors)...simply sampled the paper plate just visible to the right of the plastic bottle of Coke

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/colorbal-1_zpsyqbfrthc.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
40,238 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2018 18:40 |  #14

Archibald wrote in post #18599821 (external link)

...which is precisely why I said to to try to correct via a gel over the flash. The chances of using the right value of gel to precisely balance even a single fluorescent tube makes it very difficult...there used to be literally a dozen different combinations of gel strengths to offset the many different fluorescent bulbs that might be installed at a location -- and then you had to also hope they did not MIX tubes in the fixtures, each having different color correction gel values.

Wilt
40,238 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2018 18:42 |  #15

Archibald wrote in post #18599824 (external link)
Certainly. I should have said no practical way to correct that now.

Yet look at the results I have in shots 3, 5, and 7 in Post 12!

sponsored links

1,211 views & 3 likes for this thread
Any tips for handling colored walls and on camera flash?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.