Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 21:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New guy, getting into photography...question regarding attire to weddings.

jhaywald
73 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Apr 01, 2018 21:41 |  #1

So, pretty simple question, what do you all wear to a wedding while shooting? This pertains to both males and females. Thank you.

sponsored links
valdano
88 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 01, 2018 22:34 |  #2

Hey,

I dress like an average guest. I know many photographers who wear black shirts, but it's too hot here in the Caribbean. A button down shirt, a nice pair of pants and flexible enough shoes to wear. I have a pair of Stacy Adams boots that are both comfortable and stylish. Depending on the kind of wedding, a vest might sometimes make a nice fit.

Would love to see what others say on this matter.

Updated: Nikon D700 || Nikon D700 || Nikon 35 1.8 || Nikon 50 1.8 || Nikon 85 1.8 || Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,333 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Apr 02, 2018 00:17 |  #3

I used to dress like a guest. But now I dress I black jeans (good ones) and a black or grey short sleeved collared shirt, not tucked in as it pops out all day. They are good clothes. I kinda look like one of the caterers which is not good but whatever. I got some black leather shoes from a sports store that look like smart casual shoes but are like runners. I am in Australia so it’s mainly outdoor weddings.

Reason being is practical. I lie on the ground a lot and get down low a lot. If I wear anything pale I look like a bag of s**t by the end of the day.

I was worried I would be perceived as being too casual. However with two cameras hanging off me, no one seems to care. I actually get compliments on my professionalism all the time..... I am not sure why but I know it’s not from what I wear. I only mention that because you do not need to be wearing a suit to look pro I guess.

Tigron
My camera is my Wilson
535 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 02, 2018 09:27 |  #4

Black pant, black dry-fit polo/golf shirt plus

optional: a short sleeves vest with your logo/identifier

Photos copyright: Tigron ©1j2m ©jemamo
Retired photographer

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by mystik610.

Apr 02, 2018 13:49 |  #5

Generally dress according to how formal the event is. That said, you don't want to be an eyesore, but because you're moving around, you have to be practical too and if you overdressed in a way you can't maintain while shooting, you'll look like crap either way. Shooting in a jacket like a guest is damn near impossible for mobility purposes.

For me its usually a button down shirt and slacks. If it's a really formal event, I'll throw a suit vest on. All black looks tacky to me even as a "vendor", so I personally don't do that even though I understand the rationale.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

shaunmcfd
790 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 02, 2018 16:16 |  #6

I have some grey, khaki, and black under armour golf pants and a black, grey, and white under armour style golf polo with my logo (on order). I’m in south Alabama and it gets hot and HUMID during the summer. These wick sweat pretty good.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 24-70 ii

904canon
121 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 02, 2018 16:18 |  #7

What valdano said.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,884 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 02, 2018 16:32 |  #8

I don't shoot weddings any longer but when I did, my standard attire was a pair of black jeans, black leather walking shoes (lots of walking during a wedding) a light blue oxford shirt (short sleeved in the summer and long sleeved in the winter) with a Domke photo vest adorned with my logo. If it was a very foemal wedding, I "might" add a tie to the outfit...

The photo vest is an important part of my gear, since I am prone not to carrying a camera bag. Instead, I carry a pair of cameras on an OPTECH Dual Rig and kept the extras, such as extra batteries, memory cards, etc., in the pockets of the photo vest.

However, the use of a photo vest demands organization. It is easy to loose a small but important piece of gear if you forget which pocket you have stowed it.

The title of this thread bothers me a bit. I strongly advise AGAINST shooting weddings unless you have become absolutely proficient in using your camera gear and unless you have a backup for each piece of gear you use.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

MBB89
254 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 02, 2018 17:29 |  #9

Dress according to how formal your weddings are, your clients, and your brand. What will be appropriate for a mid-high budget wedding in the midwest at a country club is going to be very different than a black-tie wedding in Manhattan, beach wedding in the Caribbean, etc.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,388 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2018 12:37 |  #10

Black pants-Black shirt.. Some weddings I may not do black and black if it is a really small wedding or outdoors.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jhaywald
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Apr 03, 2018 13:29 |  #11

Thank you guys/and girls for the advice. Definitely brought up some aspects I wouldn't have thought about.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 04, 2018 05:20 |  #12

Black or navy trousers, white shirt, tie, black suit type jacket.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,632 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 09, 2018 21:31 as a reply to  @ Tigron's post |  #13

Could you share or link what exactly you mean by the Vest with Logo?

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,884 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2018 15:19 |  #14

My logo was a patch with the front of a lens embroidered. On that lens were my initials RPC. Very simple but it made me stand out from Uncle Bennie and his Rebel and kit lens...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2018 18:57 |  #15

I don't shoot "high end" weddings, but prefer slacks and a short sleeve solid shirt or jeans a a nice short sleeve shirt. For forest weddings I may even wear what looks like work or "bushwhacking" clothes. I lay directly on the earth sometimes and have even been on my chest in water to get a photo.

If I go high end, I will need to avoid a suit to suit flexible motion, but will wear no less than slacks and nice shirt, and maybe a tie. At that price range, I can sacrifice damage to clothing as a cost of doing business.

In a nutshell, for destination weddings jeans, boots and "work" shirts .. and for urban, indoor or other venues, nice clothing, but not a full suit.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

1,418 views & 10 likes for this thread
New guy, getting into photography...question regarding attire to weddings.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.