Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Apr 2018 (Monday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Daughter (almost 7) wants a camera

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,103 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2018 16:02 |  #1

Well, she wants mine, but that's not happening. She's always been somewhat artistic. Yesterday I let her use my 5D3 with 50/1.4 in Tv mode to keep the shutter speed reasonable. I taught her how to half-press the shutter to focus and use exposure compensation and she caught on surprisingly quickly. She figured out image review and moving the focus point on her own.

I'm thinking of looking for something used to let her use so I don't have to keep re-configuring my camera every time she wants to use it. Either she'll get it out of her system and I'll sell it or she'll continue and upgrade at some point. Either way, I'd like to keep the cost down.

I'm a Canon shooter but am open to any brands. While she claims the camera isn't too big for her, it obviously is. Something like a Fuji X100 would probably be ideal (compact, straightforward controls, fixed prime lens) but they're still a bit pricey. Old Rebels and thrifty 50's are dirt cheap, but the focal length is a bit long for an only lens on a crop sensor and the Rebel might still be too big. The EF-S 24 STM is pretty cheap though but I've never used it. Maybe an older micro 4/3rds or Fuji body? But the lenses are more expensive. She wants a viewfinder (either EVF or OVF) after seeing how hard an LCD is to see in sunlight. She does like the big LCD indoors though.

sponsored links
supert
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 02, 2018 16:16 |  #2

I would save and wait until she a bit older and get her a used 6d, which is not that expensive.

wunhang
672 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by wunhang.

Apr 02, 2018 16:17 |  #3

Grab the SL1 (or SL2 depending on your budget / future-proofing that you want to do) and the 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens for pretty cheap. That combo should allow for a small-ish camera set while sticking to Canon (which may be a mixed blessing when she starts reaching for other lenses to try out). Unless you want to get a whole new set of lenses along with the camera for her, sticking to your brand would allow her to borrow.

Just want to add that there shouldn't be any qualms about giving her the 24mm 2.8... while a pancake, it focuses accurately and fast enough to keep up with most subjects in my use. The STM motor in the pancake lenses (40mm & 24mm) are noisier than other STM lenses for video usage. The nice thing about using the pancake lenses is that they add so little weight that your little one won't be off balance handling the camera while running around (and we all know how little ones run around with stuff in their hands even when told not to).

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 02, 2018 16:19 |  #4

How about a Rebel with a 40mm? I've found it to be a reasonable length for general photography, and makes a nice compact setup.

But sticking with a system that can share your lenses does seem like the sensible thing to do in my mind. While it may be a decade or so of her borrowing your lenses, eventually there may come a time that you'll start to borrow some of hers in return if you both stick with EOS.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 02, 2018 16:26 |  #5

Last summer, I bought my grandson, then 7, a used XSi/18-55 IS for $75. He loves it. Get her something she can grow into, and upgrade from. And hey, she can use your lenses!

Tom

mike_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,103 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2018 16:37 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18599000 (external link)
Last summer, I bought my grandson, then 7, a used XSi/18-55 IS for $75. He loves it. Get her something she can grow into, and upgrade from. And hey, she can use your lenses!

Wow that's a heck of a deal. Yeah I definitely want something that has more room for growth/learning than a typical P&S camera.

Bassat
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 02, 2018 16:45 |  #7

Yeah, I got it from someone who just wanted to move it. Twice that would still be a fair price for an old Rebel in good condition, with a lens.

Tom

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,295 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 02, 2018 22:12 |  #8

At this age kids are so creative they could do it with basic tool. Classic digital P&S will do. I have 16MP Canon PowerShot A1400 HD purchased for 20CAD. It has real VF and LCD screen. Using two regular batteries.
https://www.usa.canon.​com …h-cameras/powershot-a1400 (external link)
It has build-in filters.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4447/37371227932_255f014cf4_o.jpg

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

pbrimages
331 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 02, 2018 22:18 |  #9

Luckless wrote in post #18598997 (external link)
How about a Rebel with a 40mm? I've found it to be a reasonable length for general photography, and makes a nice compact setup.

But sticking with a system that can share your lenses does seem like the sensible thing to do in my mind. While it may be a decade or so of her borrowing your lenses, eventually there may come a time that you'll start to borrow some of hers in return if you both stick with EOS.

Precisely. Rebels come in a host of flavors and prices. Also, like Bassat said, the 18-55 would be ideal too. Maybe get both and teach her the discipline of a prime and versatility of a zoom

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,196 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2018 23:38 |  #10

Based on experience with our daughter I suggest setting a price cap and from there letting her choose with as much or little parental advice she wants. That makes it her camera.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

mike_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,103 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 03, 2018 00:02 |  #11

AZGeorge wrote in post #18599216 (external link)
Based on experience with our daughter I suggest setting a price cap and from there letting her choose with as much or little parental advice she wants. That makes it her camera.

How does a 7 year old choose a camera? Did you take her to a store to touch and feel? It's not like she's going research it like an adult would.

Bassat
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 03, 2018 06:24 |  #12

kf095 wrote in post #18599184 (external link)
At this age kids are so creative they could do it with basic tool. Classic digital P&S will do. I have 16MP Canon PowerShot A1400 HD purchased for 20CAD. It has real VF and LCD screen. Using two regular batteries.

Disagree. She may pick up comp & framing, but there is nothing to learn about creative control on a P&S. Of course, that can always come later, at the expense of buying another (real) camera. If she can get by with an A1400, let her use your phone.

pbrimages wrote in post #18599190 (external link)
Precisely. Rebels come in a host of flavors and prices. Also, like Bassat said, the 18-55 would be ideal too. Maybe get both and teach her the discipline of a prime and versatility of a zoom

The best way to teach a child is to let them discover it for themselves. Guide/introduce/demons​trate when the child is ready. Start 'teaching' and you'll turn them off for sure.

AZGeorge wrote in post #18599216 (external link)

Disagree. Good answer below. A 7 year-old girl would likely choose 'the pink one'.

mike_d wrote in post #18599223 (external link)
How does a 7 year old choose a camera? Did you take her to a store to touch and feel? It's not like she's going research it like an adult would.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Apr 03, 2018 07:23 |  #13

wunhang wrote in post #18598992 (external link)
Grab the SL1 (or SL2 depending on your budget

This. All the rest of wunhang's post too, but especially this. My SL1 is perfect for my boys. I am lusting after the 2 it's image quality is significantly better.

You might even find yourself wanting to use the SL2 from time to time.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Nathan
So boring
7,704 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2018 09:19 |  #14

This is why I kept my 50D and 50mm. It's not worth selling, so I keep it around to see if any kids develop an interest.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,196 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2018 11:04 |  #15

mike_d wrote in post #18599223 (external link)

Pretty much like choosing a bike or a winter coat except for better access to data.

We hit three or four stores.

The hard part was doing my best to make it her choice and just guiding her with questions. What do you like about it? What don't you like?

The downside, of course, is that teaching a young daughter to think for herself results in grown daughter who thinks for herself. <G>

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

1,448 views & 14 likes for this thread
Daughter (almost 7) wants a camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.