Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Social media does this work well?

ra40
398 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by ra40.

Apr 08, 2018 14:42 |  #1

I've been in-out and mostly out of touch the past handful of years. The mentors I've had are old timers so they had built their business up without the modern reaches of having an online presence, they cannot advise. Just looking through POTN I can see that many posters have various social media contained in their signatures. A year or so back a restaurant owner asked if I was on social media. I wasn't so he simply took my card and that was that. I'd like to pursue this a bit more I'm wondering about how helpful this presence is for your potential clientele?

Thoughts, advice for implementing?

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,241 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Apr 08, 2018 16:34 |  #2

You should first understand that ANY particular media can be used poorly or it can be used well (and every mediocre point in between).
What really matters is HOW (in waht manner) you choose use a specific media. Indeed some media are better than others, for a particular purpose.
A magazine ad for a photographic product to photographic hobbyists might work well, but the same magazine ad for a photographic product to folks travelling on an airline

IOW, you might expect to see some benefit to social media done well, but then you might see zero benefit to social media done poorly. The challenge is to find out via some knowledgeable personnel about specific media what works and what does not, and how some specific media works better/worse than something else. Folks with that expert knowledge make money for their knowledge and experience. Anything else is heresay that 'what I used works well' or 'I tried that and it does not do much good'. But the key is HOW it was used, and what was its target audience, and what was important in the selection criteria of that audience, NOT so much what media was used

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 09, 2018 21:54 |  #3

I had a brief discussion with a cafe manager and his owner uses Instagram with success. Granted different areas though he was quite supportive of having a presence. He could time some of the increased traffic to the picture updates to the cafe's account. This will be something for me to seek some advice from with those who manage the social media side of businesses.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,759 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 13, 2018 13:30 |  #4

My Millennial daughter gets paid big bucks for handling the social media of several client businesses (and, dang, it is really a shark-infested pool!). I'm also in touch with several good friends who are Millennial photographers making heavy use of social media for marketing.

For commercial photographers, it's getting to the point that photographers are not getting jobs by the quality of their work, but by their own social media influence. Their clients are banking on the reach the photographers have already accrued (and that might not be by good photography) to help sell their products.

My young friends have become slaves to doing whatever it takes (and shooting whatever it takes) to gain likes and following, and it's a day-by-day, minute-by-minute struggle for them. Every time they post something, they have to study the effect that picture has on their following, then adjust whatever they do to meet the trend. They admit to me that it sucks.

As a retail consumer photographer (portraits and such), I'm coming away with this understanding. As as a direct-to-consumer photographer, I don't need to be a social media influence myself. What I really want are clients who are social media influences. The social media influence of my clients equals what used to be "word of mouth."

It appears that gaining such clients hasn't changed too much from the past methods. I'm getting good results reaching such clients with displays where they "congregate." I get my best results from a display in a high-end hair salon, where prospects have nothing to do for long periods of time but sit and look at my large wall prints. I do a "free" family portrait session for the owner each year, and she steers customers to me, particularly after they've had expensive styles done.

Those women tend to have their own heavy social media influence, so when they post my images and tag me, it's their following that counts.

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 13, 2018 14:23 |  #5

Insightful, thanks! I have minimal familiarity with the aspects of social media. Seeing what can be done is eye opening and for the younger generations using this I can see much potential as well as issues. Was watching some feeds of Zuckerberg's hearings and how encompassing the data gathering side is. That is another side that I don't grasp well, it is all out there which makes me uncomfortable. The approach to this type of "advertising" is different.

To accessible the social media side I'll have to come into. Some have relayed they post 1-4 times a day and at minimal 2-3 times a week. This is an area that requires time and thought to be done well.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,975 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 16, 2018 11:22 |  #6

ra40 wrote in post #18606228 (external link)
To accessible the social media side I'll have to come into. Some have relayed they post 1-4 times a day and at minimal 2-3 times a week. This is an area that requires time and thought to be done well.

I have an instagram account that I use for my photo projects. I post to that only when I have something that I think is good enough. I also have one for my work (sport photography). For that I will post three images from a game and then save the rest. I then use these "from the archive" shots to trickle out over time so that I have something to post a couple of times a week minimum... without having to do any extra work.

I would expect that wedding/portrait/gradu​ation photographers would do the same.... though many will also hire models and do promo shoots for their portfolio/social media usage.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 22, 2018 21:59 |  #7

I am completely off all social media.
I had built up a retail trade of portrait and wedding work in the early 2000's but as my commercial and architectural work picked up I closed out that side of my business.

The retail side requires constant marketing and SM is a significant part of that. In the early days it was low hanging fruit to post and reach a large audience. Today, the profit motive has been fully activated with FB and now a significant reach requires a lot more money.
I used Instagram for a bit but found it was really just populated with photographers who would follow me in the hopes of reciprocal follows.

With my commercial work my clients are busy on their social media and post my work but the issue for me is that many of my clients compete with each other. I have high end real estate agents, architects and construction companies as clients and I do not need the headache of mollifying someone because I posted a photo of someone else's project.

Fortunately I have more work than I can handle and have to turn away requests. But that is not because I marketed or the am the best around by a long shot but rather I have been working for a long time.

Persistence in your community is the best marketing. Keep it up and you will be an overnight success in about 10 years.

ra40
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 01, 2018 13:02 |  #8

Thanks markd61!

Spoke with a young gal that manages SM for some small businesses and SEO optimization. She encouraged SM that when done timely "properly" can be beneficial to exposure of potential clients. The qualifier is if they are using SM to network for their own business goals.

sponsored links

859 views & 5 likes for this thread
Social media does this work well?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.