Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Apr 2018 (Monday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do I need to know about flying with photo equipment?

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 09, 2018 12:41 |  #1

Going to be flying in early May and have never flown with a camera bag. What do i need to know about TSA and carry on?

thanks

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,761 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by Chet.

Apr 09, 2018 12:48 |  #2

Carry light as you're arms will get tired.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,561 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2018 12:50 |  #3

I usually just one or two bodies (Leica M's so they are small) and carry on. I haven't had any issues. Slide the small bag under the seat in front of me.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Gallery: 723 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 09, 2018 13:53 |  #4

You may need to take the camera out and place it in a bin with your tablet when going through the TSA. Electronics larger than a cell phone need to be out now. 7D2 had to be visible my trip the other day.

wunhang
672 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 09, 2018 14:37 |  #5

Batteries (lithium-based) will need to be in your carry-on - no "explode-able" batteries in checked bags. And as Capn Jack says, you will need to treat any electronics larger than a cellphone (like a dslr camera) as you do a laptop - in a bin without anything above/below it. Now, if you're flying internationally, they're likely to be worse in terms of "follow the rules" and may require all peripherals to come out too... I flew to India for a business trip and their screeners had me take out my laptop mouse, my ethernet cable, the laptop charger, my dslr, and all the various cables I had along with my laptop.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

ThreeHounds
732 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by ThreeHounds.

Apr 09, 2018 14:41 as a reply to  @ Capn Jack's post |  #6

I fly fairly frequently, at least 4x per month. I'm TSA Pre. Usual bag is LowePro Roller with bodies & lenses, speedlights, bunch of batteries, chargers, iPad, older iPhone as a mp3 player and other such stuff.
All I've ever had to do is put my bag on the conveyer, and my cell phone and keys in the bin on the conveyer.

Despite the policy and sign stating that I don't need to, they still make me remove my belt. But that seems to be crew or airport dependent.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,238 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 09, 2018 17:15 |  #7

Some airlines limit carry-on weight to 7.5Kg ! So if you want to fly with lots of lenses, they have to be in checked baggage and subject to CT scanner scrutiny and the possibility of baggage theft rings working the equipment.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Jethr0
948 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 09, 2018 17:36 |  #8

Make sure any spare batteries have a cover of some sort on the terminals.
They sometimes check for that.

It can be electrical tape if it has to be.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Scottboarding
502 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined May 2016

Apr 09, 2018 20:13 |  #9

I traveled through Europe last summer, so this information might be outdated, but I'll post it anyways. I brought my backpack (not a camera bag) with my laptop and snacks in it, and stuffed my camera messenger bag with my equipment inside of it. It was fine for the most part, but flying out of London they pulled me to the side and had me take all of my electronics out to swab and inspect it. It took some extra time, but a lot of people were pulled aside there and had no camera equipment so it's hard to say if that was the problem. My biggest recommendation would be to show up earlier than needed just in case.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,408 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 09, 2018 20:16 |  #10

Capn Jack wrote in post #18603192 (external link)
You may need to take the camera out and place it in a bin with your tablet when going through the TSA. Electronics larger than a cell phone need to be out now. 7D2 had to be visible my trip the other day.

wunhang wrote in post #18603219 (external link)
... And as Capn Jack says, you will need to treat any electronics larger than a cellphone (like a dslr camera) as you do a laptop - in a bin without anything above/below it. ...

Is this really a thing now even on domestic flights?
They were just beginning to start this with international flights incoming from SOME countries last summer,. if I have to do this going to Newfoundland this summer, the line of plastic bins will be VERY long, :(

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

pbrimages
331 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 09, 2018 21:21 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18603515 (external link)
Is this really a thing now even on domestic flights?
They were just beginning to start this with international flights incoming from SOME countries last summer,. if I have to do this going to Newfoundland this summer, the line of plastic bins will be VERY long, :(

Yeeeeup. Flew domestic and international back in February, and every electronic device had to come out, period. About the only thing that didn't was my electric toothbrush. :lol:

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,427 posts
Gallery: 214 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2018 21:50 |  #12

I just had to get the laptop out back in February when I flew Calgary > Houston > Belize City (and back a couple weeks later). I travelled carry-on only.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sogs
98 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 10, 2018 19:31 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #13

Just went to the Dominican Republic and no fuss with electronics or camera gear either way.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,238 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Apr 11, 2018 00:28 |  #14

pbrimages wrote in post #18603557 (external link)
Yeeeeup. Flew domestic and international back in February, and every electronic device had to come out, period. About the only thing that didn't was my electric toothbrush. :lol:

...because the female TSA agent was too embarrassed to cause you to have you bring your 'marital aid' into the open.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by digital paradise.

Apr 11, 2018 09:40 |  #15

To be sure check out TSA's carry on policies and try to stick with them. Most people don't follow them and you will probably get away with oversized/overweight bags for the rest of your life. However one day someone may decide to question yours and then they may say that has to be checked. That could happen the day before you go. The airline decides to clamp down on oversized bags and the memo goes out. Happened to me once. We had to put lenses in my wife's purse, my pockets and a plastic bag.

We flew to Portugal on TAP in February and the first time we have flown with that airline. Two bags per person and they had very low weight limit for the personal one. 2 Kilograms so my small back pack camera bag only had one lens in it. I had to put some gear in my wife's second larger carry roller on. My second larger backpack bag camera bag just just met size and weight specs.

Try to sit closer to the back of the plane. Not sure about TSA but many airlines load by zone now. If you get on sooner there is more overhead bin space. Getting on later I have been close a few times trying to find a spot. The airlines are pretty good. One time I said there is a lot of expensive gear in this bag and attendant did a great job to help me. You never know as I have seen videos of people getting dragged off planes and some pets recently died because of snarly attendants. One day the attendant you have to deal with wanted Fruit Loops for breakfast but their partner made them Korn Flakes so they are having a bad day.

While I may seem little picky but I like to insure things go smoothly and prefer to draw as little attention as possible.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

1,388 views & 2 likes for this thread
What do I need to know about flying with photo equipment?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.