Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Apr 2018 (Thursday) 02:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for opinions and examples with the Westcott Eyelighter

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 12, 2018 02:32 |  #1

Searched the forum and found pretty much nothing on this unique modifier. Would love opinions and sample shots made with it. Thanks.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
833 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 13, 2018 12:49 |  #2

I simply go to Walmart, buy a pack of silver and a pack of white cake pans. They are covered cardboard. Tape 3 together and you have a $3 eyelighter. Save your money.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by FJ LOVE.

Apr 19, 2018 17:36 |  #3

Like Angmo says save your money, I always just used a 2x3 piece of white foamcore on the models lap to lighten the shadows, whatever you do don't look at the tri-flector as the catch lights are horrible :rolleyes:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

NatsRoses
764 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 21, 2018 20:26 |  #4

It's straight out of camera, so background and stuff is a little messy, but you get the idea.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nathalie
www.nathalierosephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5Dmrk4, 40D, 70-200 2.8L mkII, 24-70L f/2.8, 24-105L f/4, 50mm 1.4 85 f/1.8, Sigma EX 17-35 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di. 550EX flash, Gossen Luna-Pro digitalf

Osa713
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Osa713.

Apr 21, 2018 21:58 |  #5

You going all Westcott these days huh? :lol:

Definitely a unique modifier, I debated about getting it for my headshots but I like the look a reflector under the chin gives. I like to have the talents cheek bones hollowed out with a little shadow but the eyelighter completely eliminates them. If I shot a lot of high key/beauty stuff I would invest in one.

Westcott products are built well and make your life easy my only gripe is always the price.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,565 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by -Duck-. (2 edits in all)

Apr 21, 2018 23:27 |  #6

Remember pet rocks? How about Furby's? Maybe bell bottoms or skinny jeans? How about man buns or (wait for it) Gary Fong's Lightsphere?

The point is, fads abound in every part of society and photography is not immune to it. The eyelighter is one of them. So is the ring light (IMO). Yes, they create a cool effect. Yes, it makes people talk about them. Yes, you really like the look and want it for yourself but what happens tomorrow when people look at your photos and suddenly they are dated by that very modifier you so desperately craved?

Yep, in the seventies wide tab collars and polyester bell bottoms were all the rave. Hell, I wore bell bottom jeans into the early 80s and those pictures are forever 'dated'. A classic oxford shirt with classic styled jeans, on the other hand, never go out of style.

Forget the eyelighter and stick to a simple, classic white reflector in the classic clamshell configuration. You'll get more mileage from it.

Just my two cents, so it's not worth much.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,100 views & 2 likes for this thread
Looking for opinions and examples with the Westcott Eyelighter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.