Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Apr 2018 (Thursday) 23:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please give feedback on Photoshop editing...

Shaun ­ Liddy
188 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Feb 2016

Apr 17, 2018 01:38 |  #46

So you landed at ISO 100 with a shutter of 1/400 based on your desired aperture setting.

If the above statement is true, sounds like you had a decent amount of light.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,901 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 17, 2018 03:19 as a reply to  @ post 18608137 |  #47

I would go usually slightly with sligtly different order:

IF a DOF does not really matter much [If you do not care if it's either f4 or f8], then the first thing I would set is a minimal shutter speed I feel comfortable for situation.
Only then choose the F-stop and then balance all out with ISO.
If ISO is too high and won't perform optimal [Smaller issue with newer cameras, but I have old sh*t usually, if not renting out], adjust F-stop and shutter accordingly.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

bob_r
Goldmember
2,398 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by bob_r. (4 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2018 10:29 |  #48

jhaywald wrote in post #18608137 (external link)
So just giving a quick update....

I went just randomly shooting with a bench and doll in my backyard they other day, here is how I believe my mind works best with the camera....

Manual mode
Adjust ISO to 100
Set Aperture to desired depth of field
Set shutter speed to around what the reciprocity rule states...check image.

Adjust shutter speed for less /more light...if needing more light than what is provided by 1/400 adjust ISO.

Suggestions?

"Set shutter speed to around what the reciprocity rule states...check image." - remember that this should be your minimum, not necessarily your ideal shutter speed.

Suggestions:
Move the doll to different lighting situations - sun from front, side, back - shade - morning, daytime, evening and night.
Practice with different aperture settings and distances from the subject and distances from subject to background to get a feel for what can be done by just changing your position and the aperture.
Practice shooting moving subjects with different shutter speeds and panning your camera. What speed do you need to stop a person's motion while they are walking, a car's motion, etc.
One other thing to practice is to see at how slow of a shutter speed you can successfully hold your camera at different focal lengths. Good info to know when shooting into the evening.
Practice shooting with different ISO settings to see what you consider the upper limit of your camera for your taste.

I think you get the idea - practice, practice, practice.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,567 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 17, 2018 11:32 |  #49

Put doll on rotating platform or vibrating platform to test shutter speed for stopping motion, which will change the other two factors... :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,324 views & 9 likes for this thread
Please give feedback on Photoshop editing...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.