Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Apr 2018 (Friday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Transporting AD600's and gear

Grumpy_one
586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Grumpy_one. (4 edits in all)

Apr 13, 2018 13:42 |  #1

So now that I've moved up from speedlights to studio lights, how do you guys carry these around? In my line of work, I will be mobile. Saw this, https://strobepro.com …ro-ultimate-kit-bag-large (external link) looks good. Thoughts? Price seems....little high.

What will be in the bag: 2 (ea) AD600's, 3 (ea) AD200's, modifiers for all, might get away with 7" reflector for AD600's but the 200's will more than likely have some kind of softbox, maybe just umbrella, hate umbrella's, I shoot outdoors, always wind here. 5 stands, maybe just 4.

I do have a ThinkTank for my camera gear, the 200's will probably ride in that.

edit: found this link https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1474899 let me know if you have more to add, thanks

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
RandallB
300 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 13, 2018 15:17 |  #2

I usually like to carry my strobes separate from my stands. (weight/damage/modular​ity) Strobepro has a case that is made to fit their branded godox lights. They also make a larger travel case that I believe will fit stands and modifiers. YT video below:

https://youtu.be/pCNtg​uPwMhg (external link)

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

Grumpy_one
THREAD ­ STARTER
586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 13, 2018 15:42 |  #3

RandallB wrote in post #18606280 (external link)
I usually like to carry my strobes separate from my stands. (weight/damage/modular​ity) Strobepro has a case that is made to fit their branded godox lights. They also make a larger travel case that I believe will fit stands and modifiers. YT video below:

https://youtu.be/pCNtg​uPwMhg (external link)

Ya, their's was the first I looked at, was wondering if anyone had personal experience with these bags. Front runner so far. Thanks

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

RandallB
300 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by RandallB.

Apr 13, 2018 17:54 as a reply to  @ Grumpy_one's post |  #4

I hopefully will soon. I want to get one for my reflectors and strobe accesories. I dont think my strobes would fit in this one but I have a pelican/nanuk case for that.

Sorry for the redundancy post there. My old ipad isnt displaying links so I didnt see it was one of the ones you listed!

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

Strobo
102 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 13, 2018 19:17 as a reply to  @ Grumpy_one's post |  #5

I have one of their Ultimate Traveller bags. It's really well made, especially for the money. It's sturdy, well padded, and seems to be made with quality materials.

I have a few gripes about it though, for what it's worth. I was told it'll fit four AD600 Pros with handles but that's not quite true. The handles aren't out yet, but the AD600 Pros are about an inch and a half too tall for the case. You can close the lid zipper if you really push down on the lid, but it strains the zipper and offers little impact protection on the top and bottom because of the tight fit. There are shallow pockets inside the lid and on the front, with emphasis on shallow. The AD600 Pros will fit nicely if you remove the batteries, but then won't accommodate them if you add the handles later on.

The design criteria for the case was to make it as big as possible while still meeting airline carry-on size regulations. It does this very well. However, for my needs this case would be a lot more useful if it was a few inches taller and about 20% larger all around. I'd also like to see this case with two handle loops so that you could easily pick it up to move it. As it is, you have to zip the lid closed or fasten the snaps in order to use the handle.

This case would probably work out really well for you as it seems to be designed to fit the AD600s. They fit in there nicely. I agree with the above comment about packing strobes separate from your stands. Most all-in-one strobe + stand carry cases are too shallow to hold your strobes vertically and laying them flat horizontally takes up a lot of space. They're also usually too short to fit decent stands that you'd trust with your AD600s. For stand bags have a look at On Stage or Gator bags. They're well made and reasonably priced but not that suitable for air travel. If you need to fly, want better protection, or need to carry taller stands, have a look at Fibrebuilt hard tubes.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
833 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Angmo. (3 edits in all)

Apr 13, 2018 20:23 |  #6

Is head for Home Depot/Lowe’s and take a look at their large tool boxes with wheels. It won’t say photo on it or from a photo store so it’ll be cheaper.

2 smaller ones could stack too. So No need for one large one. Plus make sure it will fit in your car..

Also 1” padding for the bottom of the case from there or amazon.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

tbdinh22
31 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Apr 15, 2018 11:39 |  #7

I'm currently using Pelican 1615 Air to transport my AD600, AD200, v860 II, 90cm softbox, and accessories. It's perfect for my needs because it's light and allow me to bring bring it for air travel.

It's not heavy to transport with the wheels and I feel safe with a hard case like Pelican Air.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

sponsored links

948 views & 1 like for this thread
Transporting AD600's and gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.