Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 15 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dilemma

stu
60 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 15, 2018 17:57 |  #1

Must be 5 yrs since I have posted in here but at present I am having a dilemma where I really want a 1Dx.
In the UK we have a company which trades in kits so to swap but it will cost me an excellent condition 5DmkIII along with an excellent condition 1DsmkIII, and a 600 ex rt Speedlite.
As I say I think I need a 1Dx but is the trade worth it? 18mp camera for two mint 20mp+ cameras and speed lite.

sponsored links
mathogre
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mathogre.

Apr 15, 2018 19:34 |  #2

What can you do with the 1Dx that you can't do with the 5DmkIII, 1DsmkIII and a 600EX RT? What will you gain with the trade? What will you lose with the trade in terms of what you can create for photos? Are you actually using the Speedlite?

They're tools, nothing more, nothing less. You know the condition of your current equipment. You know how you use it. What's the condition of the 1Dx? Have you seen that specific one for trade? Have you used it? "18mp camera for two mint 20mp+ cameras and speed lite" sounds like someone else may be getting a good deal.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

stu
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 16, 2018 15:31 |  #3

Just been one of those, I gotta have one kinda things,
I felt the same with my current kit a few years ago. I am sure the itch will pass.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 16, 2018 17:21 |  #4

stu wrote in post #18607507 (external link)
18mp camera for two mint 20mp+ cameras and speed lite.

I don't understand what the number of pixels has to do with anything. . The monetary value of a digital camera is not based upon the number of pixels it has. . Is there a reason why you mentioned pixel counts?

stu wrote in post #18608051 (external link)
Just been one of those, I gotta have one kinda things,
I felt the same with my current kit a few years ago. I am sure the itch will pass.

"Gotta have one" ?

"Itch will pass" ?

I think that everything we do, and all the decisions we make, should be based on facts, logic, and reason. . Yet the things you say seem to be based on feelings, which should usually be ignored when making decisions about entirely practical items such as tools and machines.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,222 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 16, 2018 17:33 |  #5

Doing a quick 'n dirty internet pricing compare, those 3 items in top condition add up to around 3398 in the used market and the 1Dx clocks in around 3392.

Cost wise, that seems a relatively straight and even trade. Use wise, I'm curious whether there's any real upside to you in going through the whole process, though. The 5DIII and 1DsIII are very capable cameras and it can be handy to have multiple bodies on hand vs one body only...

Sort of seems like a lot of work for not much gain without more info on what the upgrade would net you.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,465 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 18, 2018 09:15 |  #6

What kind of photography do you shoot?

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2018 17:50 |  #7

As AlanU said "What kind of photography do you shoot?".

If you are a landscaper then a 5D3/1DS3 will do just fine, portraits/people are not my thing but I would expect the 5D3/1DS3 to be excellent for this sort of thing.

However if Wildlife is your bag then a 1DX is markedly better than either of the above models.

It is all down to what you need!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dilemma
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.