Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 16 Apr 2018 (Monday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Family Photos and Videos

spn
44 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2018 13:08 |  #1

I'm sure this topic has been addressed here but looking for ideas/advice on how to proceed.

I have just filled up a 4TB hard drive with photos and video of my family/kids. I have not been very responsible in cleaning up and deleting the pictures/video I don't want to keep. Often due to time I just get home, download, clean off camera and wait until next use.

Having just filled the 4TB HD and realizing that many/most of the pictures are not backed up, its kid of scary thinking if the drive were to fail, I lose everything.

Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I plan on working on this starting this week or weekend.

sponsored links
sogs
98 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2018 17:58 |  #2

This is my 2 cents of advice and I'm sure others will chime in. The first thing I would do is buy another 4tb hard drive and back everything up. Then what do you do for future files? More hard drives are needed. You should have at least 3 backups but for now having one backup is better than none. I use a Synology NAS (2 hard drives) plus another hard drive (stored offsite). I know the problem of time to go through photos but if you do a little each day you'd be surprised at how many photos you'll get rid of and reduce storage space. Even 15 minutes a day can do wonders. Do you save just RAW files or RAW and JPG? Do you post process with Lightroom or similar program? If so JPG's are not necessary. Just remember if you don't back up you can never get your photos back if your hard drive fails. And it will eventually. You just don't know when.

Jethr0
947 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 16, 2018 18:41 |  #3

I agree with sogs....pick up another drive and make a duplicate of the files, then deal with the organization (if at all).
Do you store all the files external to your laptop/workstation?

One option may be to start fresh as of a certain date and just make sure you keep the historical files backed up in case you want to go back into them....or until you have time to sort it out.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,624 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 16, 2018 23:55 |  #4

If you don’t process them, you’ll probably trash them. My processed videos only take up only a few GB’s for many years of videos. Clutter never gets watched by anyone. It’s like photos, at some point, most Raws should go to the trash.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

drmaxx
935 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2018 05:47 |  #5

First step: buy an other 4 TB HD (quite cheap nowadays) and make a 1:1 copy. Bring this drive off-site - to work, relatives, friends. If you don't trust them then you still can encrypt them.
Second step: think about a robust backup plan for your data. There is plenty of info on the internet. (P.S. If you decide on a NAS then don't go for RAID and hope that this is a good backup plan - it isn't).

Donate if you love POTN

spn
THREAD ­ STARTER
44 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 17, 2018 09:44 |  #6

Thanks for the info!! How do you go about "syncing"the backup drives? Once you have a backup drive, when you want to add new material a week or two later. Do you have to simply drag and drop the latest material to the backup drive or is there a way to "sync"the two drives which will create a mirror image of the original?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here but this is what I am trying to gain!!

Jethr0
947 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 17, 2018 09:59 |  #7

do you use windows OS or Mac OS?

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 17, 2018 10:03 |  #8

A potential issue if you sync only 2 drives is that you mess something up on the main drive and then the mistake is synced to the "back up". ESPECIALLY since you are planning to do a lot of organizing.

You might want to consider having one drive stay original and another to sync to ... 3 drives.

Sync software depends on your operating system.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

drmaxx
935 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 17, 2018 11:45 |  #9

spn wrote in post #18608475 (external link)
Thanks for the info!! How do you go about "syncing"the backup drives?

Check out this thread: What software is everyone using to back up photos and videos?

Donate if you love POTN

spn
THREAD ­ STARTER
44 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 17, 2018 14:12 |  #10

using imac

spn
THREAD ­ STARTER
44 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 17, 2018 14:22 |  #11

Also, for what it is worth. The main external HD I have now is a simple 4TB Seagate Backup plus I bought from Costco for about $150. Definitely considering spending more to do it right if I need to. Or do I simply stay with the Seagate Backup 4TB or 6TB. Also planning on going thunderbolt assuming that will make things run faster. Clearly I have a lot to learn

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 17, 2018 14:28 |  #12

spn wrote in post #18608645 (external link)
using imac

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner for years and years. The ability to have a reliable external boot drive is worth the price alone. Time Machine works but is not really made for more complex archiving.

https://bombich.com/ (external link)

i suggest using the archive and replace feature which is specifically made to avoid the situation i posted earlier ... if something is not on the source drive but is on the destination, it will archive the file on the destination before replacing it. I believe it is smartly called "Archive and Replace"

This will however require you to maintain some free space.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 17, 2018 14:32 as a reply to  @ spn's post |  #13

i prefer 2TB drives. I buy Seagate and WD "portable" notebook size external drives.

they are big enough to hold a lot of stuff, but not so much that if you some how screw up or the drive fails it is less of a hassle than larger drives. I can usually pick one or the other up for 65-75 bucks.

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 19, 2018 21:48 |  #14

Culling is essential, otherwise you'll just keep paying for rubbish. Make the time to cull.

I don't keep all my raw video, once it's processed I keep the compilations and such, but I do keep the best bits as they came from the camera. I have offsite hard drives that use incremental backups. I keep medium res video and photos on Amazon Glacier.

If you search the threads about backups you'll find a link to my backups article and recommendations.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

wyntastr
544 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by wyntastr.

Apr 20, 2018 09:09 |  #15

Don't forget you can upload your finished photo files to the cloud. If you have Amazon prime, you get free unlimited storage of image files on the Amazon drive feature. It can be organized by folders and you have access to all your images from anywhere you have computer access or cell phone via the Amazon Drive app for your phone. That's well worth the cost of the prime membership alone.

edit/ This is in addition to all the good advice above about backing up your raw files, etc to duplicate HDs.

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/4L - EF 100-400L

sponsored links

754 views & 1 like for this thread
Family Photos and Videos
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.