Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Apr 2018 (Wednesday) 12:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dead 5D Mark IV

Headspin
85 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2018 12:36 |  #1

Hi,
My 6 month old 5D Mark IV won't switch on (different batteries tried and so on), anyway I bought this on Ebay new but but basically grey market so no official warranty (I know - I am stupid). The supplier did offer a 1 year international "warranty" in the sale but after sending it back to them seems like bs as they now tell me they only cover return shipping and labour, not parts. They diagnosed a dead PCB and want £205 for the part. After doing some Google research it appears that the Mark iv does have reports of a 'won't turn on' due to pcb power issues. You cant do hard reset like on Mark III as it has no internal battery!

Whilst it looks like I am going to have to pay for a new PCB I am concerned that Mark IV may have an issue with this part and may well happen again??? Has anyone had this or similar issues?
Thanks
Rob

www.nicecatmedia.com (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by johnf3f.

Apr 18, 2018 17:53 |  #2

Lodge a complaint via E Bay - you never know?

Not a legal eagle but would the "Sale of Goods Act" apply?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,993 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 18, 2018 18:00 |  #3

PayPal buyer coverage now goes out 6 months... So there's always that depending on which side of the 6 months you're on.

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,014 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2018 19:59 |  #4

Me, I'd just pay. Regarding it happening again, why worry? You have no control over it. So sell it when you get it back repaired or continue on. Any device can fail at anytime. There is a chance Canon have addressed the problem and the PCB you receive will be a new one with fix applied. Only Canon knows if this is true.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,210 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2018 00:40 |  #5

Headspin wrote in post #18609132 (external link)
Hi,
My 6 month old 5D Mark IV won't switch on (different batteries tried and so on), anyway I bought this on Ebay new but but basically grey market so no official warranty (I know - I am stupid). The supplier did offer a 1 year international "warranty" in the sale but after sending it back to them seems like bs as they now tell me they only cover return shipping and labour, not parts. They diagnosed a dead PCB and want £205 for the part. After doing some Google research it appears that the Mark iv does have reports of a 'won't turn on' due to pcb power issues. You cant do hard reset like on Mark III as it has no internal battery!

Whilst it looks like I am going to have to pay for a new PCB I am concerned that Mark IV may have an issue with this part and may well happen again??? Has anyone had this or similar issues?
Thanks
Rob

Considering that you saved about £1000 by buying from the grey market, you might as well pay the £205 to get it repaired.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Headspin
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 19, 2018 05:01 |  #6

Thanks Guys

Wrong side of the 6 months (more like 7), I knew I was taking a risk buying grey and should have read the warranty small print properly! I will pay the part cost and lesson learnt. I did email Canon asking if they knew of any PCB issues but they report that they aren't aware of any so hopefully I was just unlucky!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,523 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 19, 2018 05:30 as a reply to  @ Headspin's post |  #7

It is not a common problem. There a few reports, but out of thousands upon thousands of units, there will be flaws that end up being posted on the internet.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by dexy101.

Apr 19, 2018 07:49 |  #8

Personally id just send it into canon and get them to replace it. They sorted my grey market 1DX but wouldn't honour the warranty as it was a grey market purchase but they did do the repair at a cost to me.

Plus if it does happen to go again then you may have warranty on the new part they replaced rather than fitting one yourself unsure if it will break again.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

thc1979
519 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Apr 19, 2018 13:00 |  #9

I don't understand all this grey market = no warranty stuff. Canon still made the camera, it's not like it's a Chinese knock off.

But as said above, you save a sh*t load of money in the first place :-)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,331 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 19, 2018 14:22 |  #10

thc1979 wrote in post #18609752 (external link)
I don't understand all this grey market = no warranty stuff. Canon still made the camera, it's not like it's a Chinese knock off.

Whats not to understand. Warranties are not free. The cost is included in every camera purchased. It's how Canon covers the cost for warranty work. When you buy gray you don't feed into the warranty pool, thus, no warranty work.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,523 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 19, 2018 15:10 |  #11

thc1979 wrote in post #18609752 (external link)

But as said above, you save a sh*t load of money in the first place :-)

Every country or consortium of markets have different consumer laws, and thus different warranties. Canon then adjusts the costs of a camera sold in those markets to cover the warranty costs in that area.

So buying a lower priced camera out of the warranty area to save money means you won't be able to get warranty coverage in the area you are in.

If you sold item XYZ, and in one area, you had to cover all repair costs for 3 years vs 3 months elsewhere, would you not charge more in the one area over the other for XYZ?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Headspin
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 21, 2018 10:09 as a reply to  @ dexy101's post |  #12

Yep, if I had known that I would have to pay for the part then I would have just sent to a Canon repair centre. When I contacted the Ebay vendor they said to send it back to them for repair, 4 weeks later (and lots of emails from me), I got the news about the part! By this time I just needed the camera back. I have been assured I will now get the 'fixed' camera back next week.
Cheers
Rob

thc1979
519 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 06, 2018 13:51 |  #13

gjl711 wrote in post #18609791 (external link)
Whats not to understand. Warranties are not free. The cost is included in every camera purchased. It's how Canon covers the cost for warranty work. When you buy gray you don't feed into the warranty pool, thus, no warranty work.

You make it sound like I should have known about it all, which I clearly didn’t otherwise I wouldn’t have said I didn’t understand :-)

Thanks for the explanation though, it makes sense now.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 11, 2018 09:57 |  #14

Headspin wrote in post #18610841 (external link)
Yep, if I had known that I would have to pay for the part then I would have just sent to a Canon repair centre. When I contacted the Ebay vendor they said to send it back to them for repair, 4 weeks later (and lots of emails from me), I got the news about the part! By this time I just needed the camera back. I have been assured I will now get the 'fixed' camera back next week.
Cheers
Rob

So, how'd it go?

Did you get your camera back when they said you would?

Did they just charge you for the part, as they had promised?

Any details would be appreciated. . Also, I'd like to know which eBay dealer you bought the camera from.

Thanks

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,523 posts
Joined May 2002

May 14, 2018 08:35 as a reply to  @ post 18625392 |  #15

Did you mean to post this in this thread?

sponsored links

1,947 views & 9 likes for this thread
Dead 5D Mark IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.