Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 20 Apr 2018 (Friday) 04:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony E to Canon EF Adapter selection

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 20, 2018 04:25 |  #1

I am looking for an adapter for a Sony a7r iii (3) to Canon EF L lenses.

I have read all forum posts about the Metabones and all the other adapters.

I am wondering what is the current status on this with the new Sony A7R 3 and A9 cameras? Which one to use and which one to avoid?

Thanks so much!

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 20, 2018 09:42 |  #2

So far for static subjects I enjoy using the Sigma mc11 with canon glass. However currently It does not support autofocus in video mode with Canon glass. Metabone appears to have AF with a mode setting.

Af-s on my A7iii with adapted glass is not that great in my opinion when movement is involved. I must test more but my 24Lmk2 and 16-35 gets soft results on af-s when I walk and follow my kids walking. Af-c on the other hand works well. Issue with af-c is that I cannot focus / recompose when I want feel like it.

Biggest issue for me is no video with AF using canon glass.

I still need to buy native glass but it’s not a priority at the moment.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,900 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

May 23, 2018 21:51 |  #3

I use the metabones variants and for the most part they work really well. It really depends on the lenses though. Some play nice - 85 f1.8 is super fast - 50 f1.8 completely unusable. With more L glass they work perfectly. And with a few really old Tamrons I have been really surprised. The 24-105 L behave normally really well, except when focusing at infinity, and somehow it loses focus. Anything short of infinity and it works perfectly. Not perfect..... but 95% of the time it works well enough to get some great images.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Vincent ­ Wong
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2012

May 31, 2018 08:04 |  #4

Had a quick test with Canon 400 5.6 L (non IS) lens on Sony A7III via a Metabone V. While the frame rate works well in the region of 10FPS, I had problem selecting using the body stabiliser of Sony but without success. Have anybody tried such setup? Not sure if it's due to incorrect setting or camera limitation.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 31, 2018 08:37 |  #5

Vincent Wong wrote in post #18636385 (external link)
Had a quick test with Canon 400 5.6 L (non IS) lens on Sony A7III via a Metabone V. While the frame rate works well in the region of 10FPS, I had problem selecting using the body stabiliser of Sony but without success. Have anybody tried such setup? Not sure if it's due to incorrect setting or camera limitation.

Try tracking. This is where my Mc11 adapter struggles with even slow moving subjects.

The more abd more I use my A7iii with adapted glass I feel an old ancient canon Xti in AF-C is similar in performance in good light. That’s pretty bad imo.

This is where I take the canon adapted glass as “it is what it is” for well lit environments and daily average static/slow photography adapted glass is very acceptable. Any sort of challenging AF requirements it is frustrating. With my 24-70Lmk2 my 5yrs old on bike with training wheels I get embarrassing keeper rate. That sort of af requirement should be a walk in the park even with adapted glass since many imply the sigma adapter is a great performer.... except I later discover no video AF and extremely unreliable AF-C.

I knew better but real daily testing drew out the fallacy of hope. Renting a Sony for even a week wouldn’t be enough time for realistic thorough review.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

simonbarker
217 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 31, 2018 10:52 |  #6

AlanU wrote in post #18636410 (external link)
That sort of af requirement should be a walk in the park even with adapted glass since many imply the sigma adapter is a great performer.... except I later discover no video AF and extremely unreliable AF-C.

It is but it varies based on the lens you're using, if you're intent on keeping the Canon glass then you should also have a Metabones adapter and try out both its modes to see which work best with specific lenses.

None of this changes the fact that if AF performance is truly crucial for you, you simply shouldn't be using adapted glass.

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,900 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

May 31, 2018 12:50 |  #7

I sort of agree and disagree with the last post. It just depends on the lens you are adapting. My 70-200f.28 L 2nd generation is mostly good unless you are all the way out at 200mm and wide open.... then it forgets how to focus. Mid range - even eye focus works. Go figure. I used to shoot college level sports commercially, and no, I wouldn't rely on the adapted lenses to get the shots I needed. Shooting my kids sports - heck yeah - its good enough.

On the video side - with metabones - again it is hit and miss. I have tons of video I do that has worked just fine. I use a metabones with the 24-105L f4 - and have had no issues. Other lenses are simply a no go.... or ok in certain combinations.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Vincent ­ Wong
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2018 06:56 |  #8

AlanU wrote in post #18636410 (external link)
Try tracking. This is where my Mc11 adapter struggles with even slow moving subjects.

mc11 only works well with Sigma lenses but still far from Metabones Ver 5. No chance to try everything out as I only have a short window of time at the Sony Centre in Singapore. With the numerous new features, it will take months to try out every feature and compatibility with adapted lenses.

Have anyone tried the Metabones 5 on the A7lll with non IS Canon lenses? I belief the in-body stabiliser should work but when I tried the other day, it didn't work. Maybe the demo rep haven't figured how to set it. It was only half way through my test that he figured why the frame rate was slow with adapted lenses and have it set to go full speed. If non IS Canon lenses can be used on Sony utilising their in-body stabiliser, there would be demand for the old 400mm 5.6 L lens. Even with this lens + 1.4X lll Extender, it still focus well with all A6500, A7Rlll and A7lll and produced excellent picture in a rather dim lit Centre. The same setup with Tamron 150-600 G2 does not AF but on the EFs 15-85 works well. No chance to try the tracking nor eye focus as the Centre had gone past opening hours.

sponsored links

916 views & 1 like for this thread
Sony E to Canon EF Adapter selection
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.