Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 20 Apr 2018 (Friday) 07:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pricing question

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2018 07:14 |  #1

Question about pricing, I was asked to do a photoshoot for a clothing brand. It's a new online clothing store. There 6 models and each of them have different clothing. Im trying to figure out what to charge. It'll probably be 4-5 hours of work, with different lighting setups.

Thanks for your guys help.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,176 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Apr 20, 2018 07:46 |  #2

For something like this, I would charge an hourly rate that covers a) the actual time of the shoot and b) the post processing and delivery. Basically take what you think is a reasonable per hour charge for this type of labor and maybe double that since for each hour shooting, you will probably have another hour in processing. This covers you in case things take much longer that are due to things out of your control, the models are slow in changing clothing, etc.

Just my opinion though... :)

One more thought to the actual shoot itself. Just don't do single multiple posed shots with each model/each outfit, perhaps also do some group shots which then can be used for page banners, and other art for the store web presence and facebook/social media. Also consider colored gels and various light positions for some provocative shots... This may lead to a future deal with the models themselves should they want to contract you to do a portfolio shoot later.

Most importantly HAVE FUN!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 20, 2018 08:24 |  #3

Sounds like more than 4-5 hours of work. Subtract set up and tear down and you're left with 3-4 hours ... 30 minutes per model.

I would charge my day rate.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2018 09:20 |  #4

What would your rate be or a good rough estimate price? I've seen prices from 500-2k kinda all over the place. Also as they get more clothes in there going to want more pictures.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,425 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 20, 2018 09:58 |  #5

unlimited6986 wrote in post #18610214 (external link)
What would your rate be or a good rough estimate price? I've seen prices from 500-2k kinda all over the place. Also as they get more clothes in there going to want more pictures.

That's really going to be specific to the market and to the size of the company requesting the images. A shoot in NYC for a major online retailer using 6 well established models is going to be different from a shoot in Peoria for someone just trying to get a business off the ground working out of their garage with 6 of their friends as models. That's why you see such a huge difference in pricing. Set the price accordingly but not less than what your willing to do the work for.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 20, 2018 10:01 |  #6

That's a good range. :D

Market prices vary due to location, supply and demand, etc. A small town guy with super low overhead vs a photog in NYC or LA? Do you plan to spend hours editing, or just giving SOOC JPG? Do they get perpetual exclusive rights? Local, national or international distribution? Trade or consumer audience?

These kinds of pricing discussions come up from time to time and the above is, in my opinion, the only correct answer. If one can make a good living with a 500 dollar day rate by staying busy without much effort or overhead, I don't begrudge them charging what is a pittance in other markets. Likewise if one can change 2000 a day and work 5 days a month to cover expenses, good for them.

I am less interested in how many different sets they shoot than I am the time it takes to do it. I've stood around on location for an hour while a client gets their s*it together doing things they should have done in advance. I have also kept moving fast from set to set because things were organized. In the end it doesn't make that much difference, to me.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2018 11:45 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

I'll be editing each picture. It's the start of the company so I'm assuming no huge budget or anything. I don't wanna sell myself short or scare them away from doing another shoot either, that's why just trying to figure out a good starting price. I'm thinking around 500$-750$

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 23, 2018 16:50 |  #8

Did you ask them what their budget is? That's always a good place to start. You might not get an exact answer but, you might get a "we don't have a lot so we were hoping to be in the 2k area" or "gee we dont have a lot, we were thinking like a couple hundred".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,176 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 23, 2018 17:30 |  #9

Personally I don't care what a client's budget is, companies always downplay their budget when asked by a vendor for services. I just price my services where I think they need to be, no games, no guessing. Either the company will pay it, or they won't. I adjust my price annually depending somewhat on how much more experience I have in that area as well as equipment and local competition.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 23, 2018 18:32 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Day rate: it's a full day job.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2018 23:32 |  #11

Unless you are very fast, have a good studio and skilled assistance this sounds like a minimum two day job with post to follow.

Whatever you end up charging, make sure the person in charge of the project sees processed samples early in the shoot. Even if they don't yet know how they want their clothing to look they will know it as soon as they see it.

Also, make sure you have skilled assistance in keeping the clothing looking good as you shoot.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

4,805 views & 1 like for this thread
Pricing question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.