Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 22 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 05:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Good Plan?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,716 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 24, 2018 22:39 |  #31

Dlee,

The 35 f/2IS and my 24Lmk2 with static subject focus fast and accurate with the Sigma mc-11 adapter. One thing I appreciate about the A7iii is that it just works amazing in my low light indoor "family documentation". The lenses works fast and accurate as my 5dmk4 in my home. Activate Sony eye AF and you have so much freedom in composing a shot as Sony tracks the eyeball.

Take Charlie's advice on buying native glass :) I cannot because I'll need to spend a chunk of change to buy a GM 16-35, 25mm batis and 85 f/1.8 to have a versatile sony kit. Don't feel like spending 6 grand CDN$$ on lenses for a secondary system :P

I use my Fuji alot indoors at home and the A7iii is a huge eye opener in the substantial improvement in clean photos. The 5dmk4 is also a great indoor camera for me.

Have fun learning. Put alot of features in the "My menu" as well as customizing buttons. Once you do that you can navigate the Sony just as easily as the Canon.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

sponsored links
Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,209 posts
Gallery: 412 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 24, 2018 23:03 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #32

Thanks and that is good to hear but I will more than likely never use the 35 IS as I want a native 35 like the Art once it releases. I actually find I got more keepers with my M5 as the tracking is very accurate.

Haha I can definitely relate to that. The Sony will likely be my second system once the Canon FF releases which is why I am going to keep almost all of my Canon lenses. The prices are bad here in aus too, the cheapest you can get an a7 III currently is $2999 AUD.

Thanks I will once I finally get it. I gave in and listed the Canon on eBay so hopefully I find a buyer soon.

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,308 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 25, 2018 00:10 |  #33

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18612513 (external link)
For me others like me not being FF is a deal breaker period. And I have shot with Fuji and the shooting experience is different.
My original statement that started this huge side track was in response to EVF on a rangefinder and I said in my opinion it defeats the purpose of a rangefinder. I've shot a lot with Fuji's. Not for me and I have a couple of friends that try to convince me of the errors of my ways. One spent some time with my M 10. He sold his Fuji's and now has an M 10. Maybe you should try Leica M...

I got your original point... my rebuttal was that it doesn't necessarily, but to each his own.

I'm not interested in the anecdote of your friend, that can go any which way and there are dozens of examples of either all over the net. People like what they like, it's really not all that complicated. The issue I have is when people pretend that there option is the "only" option for X/Y/Z reason... more often than not, that's just not true.

Maybe one day I'll look at Leica, but I'm quite happy with my Fuji kit, it does everything I need it to ;)

I also like not having to worry about "what if" all the time with my fairly cheap kit :)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,707 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by airfrogusmc. (2 edits in all)

Apr 25, 2018 07:49 |  #34

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18613005 (external link)
I got your original point... my rebuttal was that it doesn't necessarily, but to each his own.

I'm not interested in the anecdote of your friend, that can go any which way and there are dozens of examples of either all over the net. People like what they like, it's really not all that complicated. The issue I have is when people pretend that there option is the "only" option for X/Y/Z reason... more often than not, that's just not true.

Maybe one day I'll look at Leica, but I'm quite happy with my Fuji kit, it does everything I need it to ;)

Very glad that you are happy with your kit. I also like not having to worry about "what if" all the time with my fairly cheap kit :)

Glad you like your kit. If you read all my posts I have been saying nice to have choices and I get that rangefinders and especially Leica in not for everyone. In my original statement here I didn't even mention Leica. I said "I never use EVF. Kinda defeats the purpose of a rangefinder in my opinion. I never said that anyone should use anything other that what works for them. I consistently say find what fits the way that one sees and works.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,466 posts
Gallery: 356 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 25, 2018 09:41 |  #35

Dlee13 wrote in post #18612831 (external link)
Where I live it get VERY bright so this feature alone has really convinced me to get this camera. I think I would have it on all the time.

Well I also have an M5 which has the same sensor as the 80D. The thing is, I sold my 6D about 1 month before the 6D2 released and primarily used my M5 during that time. During that time, I grew to prefer the EVF and shooting with my the M5 but the only thing i missed was the full frame sensor. I have enjoyed using my 6DII and the main reasons I'm unhappy with it is, it doesn't have an EVF. I could use it primarily in Live View but I hate shooting that way, I like having my eye up to the viewfinder which is where an EVF comes in.

I also wouldn't consider the adapter performance much of a deterrent since I want to use native lenses from the start and only adapt lenses that will be used in manual focus.

I know I will be confused like crazy when I do finally get it. My friend and I went to a Sony store to play with one both us had no idea how to use it :p One thing I love is going through the settings of my new devices and seeing what they can do so I think the A7III will keep me busy for a long time with this.

Well even though I know the Sony's are capable of shooting fast action, I almost never shoot anything fast and always shoot static objects so I know AF wise I feel like I know what I'll be getting.

I definitely share your sentiment about the lighter lenses over a faster aperture, which is why I want the 85mm f/1.8 rather than the f/1.4 G Master. The upcoming Tamron will be a good zoom for me which I also plan to pick up, but I don't really like to buy and sell gear since there will always be a slight loss and I like to get the lenses I want to keep from the start.

I will consider what you have said about trying something different but I do sadly need to be precise with what I get. I now live with my girlfriend and she will kill me if I make too many purchases, she is already angry that I want to buy the A73 haha. I really like the AF and many features the A7 III has to offer so I just cant resist.

Great insight by Charlie here.

As someone who has gone from a 6D, to an a7r, and finally to an a99ii, I have been there and done that with lens solutions.

Adapting lenses is a fine stopgap, but the native FE lenses really are fantastic. Sony's 35 1.4 should not be discounted as an alternative to the 35A, IMO. As far as WA zooms, I think the kit lens will surprise you.

Don't worry about battery life with the new battery in the gen 3 bodies. 1K shots should be its basement for everyday shooting.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,707 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 25, 2018 10:03 |  #36

Agree that native lenses are usually best.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,716 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 25, 2018 10:35 |  #37

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18613208 (external link)
Great insight by Charlie here.

As someone who has gone from a 6D, to an a7r, and finally to an a99ii, I have been there and done that with lens solutions.

Adapting lenses is a fine stopgap, but the native FE lenses really are fantastic. Sony's 35 1.4 should not be discounted as an alternative to the 35A, IMO. As far as WA zooms, I think the kit lens will surprise you.

Don't worry about battery life with the new battery in the gen 3 bodies. 1K shots should be its basement for everyday shooting.

I was corresponding with a friend of mine that’s owned the latest canon and Nikon dslr bodies and sold everything and now shoots Sony A9. He loves the Sony system with native glass but low light AF is still not on par with mirrored bodies.
For low light events compared to his previous mirrored bodies are not same in rock solid reliability.

I’ve heard the same description of performance from local shooters too. I still will remain a Canon shooter for this main reason but I’m putting great efforts in changing my shooting style with my Sony. So far for my intended application I do like the A7iii a lot.

Sony ownership ranges from soccer mom/dads, studio, landscape, portrait to events. These styles requires different strengths in a camera I’m finding that A casual shooter will have different tolerances compared to a hired events shooter. Delivery of the performance of the body is important to everyone however hired photographer will have less tolerance to hardware issues.

I’m aware of that Sony with pro lens there is not much of a weight savings compared to Nikon and Canon. Personal tolerances is so specific to the individual.

If my Sony hunts or misses focus for casual snapshots it’s barely acceptable but I have zero tolerance for hired work.

I cannot take Sony seriously until I use dedicated native glass. Sigma mc11 works well enough for my chillax fun photography but I cannot rely on it with any fast movement .

Imperative documentation I still must use my canon gear to cover my run/gun needs. I must build up Sony lenses to put more serious thought to rely on it fully.

Looking forward in spending money on $ony glass $$$$$$$$$$$$ for my new adventure in camera tool hunting.

Fuji gives me eye candy and canon just works for me in everything. Just starting to understand the great benefits with Sony mirrorless.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,466 posts
Gallery: 356 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 25, 2018 16:13 |  #38

AlanU wrote in post #18613238 (external link)
I was corresponding with a friend of mine that’s owned the latest canon and Nikon dslr bodies and sold everything and now shoots Sony A9. He loves the Sony system with native glass but low light AF is still not on par with mirrored bodies.
For low light events compared to his previous mirrored bodies are not same in rock solid reliability.

I’ve heard the same description of performance from local shooters too. I still will remain a Canon shooter for this main reason but I’m putting great efforts in changing my shooting style with my Sony. So far for my intended application I do like the A7iii a lot.

Sony ownership ranges from soccer mom/dads, studio, landscape, portrait to events. These styles requires different strengths in a camera I’m finding that A casual shooter will have different tolerances compared to a hired events shooter. Delivery of the performance of the body is important to everyone however hired photographer will have less tolerance to hardware issues.

I’m aware of that Sony with pro lens there is not much of a weight savings compared to Nikon and Canon. Personal tolerances is so specific to the individual.

If my Sony hunts or misses focus for casual snapshots it’s barely acceptable but I have zero tolerance for hired work.

I cannot take Sony seriously until I use dedicated native glass. Sigma mc11 works well enough for my chillax fun photography but I cannot rely on it with any fast movement .

Imperative documentation I still must use my canon gear to cover my run/gun needs. I must build up Sony lenses to put more serious thought to rely on it fully.

Looking forward in spending money on $ony glass $$$$$$$$$$$$ for my new adventure in camera tool hunting.

Fuji gives me eye candy and canon just works for me in everything. Just starting to understand the great benefits with Sony mirrorless.

I can't speak to any personal experience with anything past the first generation of e-mount bodies shooting a bunch of low light, but I found the a6K to be quite a bit better than my 60D and my a7r to slightly-less sensitive than my old 6D. My a99ii is better than either in grabbing/locking/track​ing in low light, although that isn't exactly germane to the OP's original post.

Paul Nelson doesn't post here on POTN, but he's a presence on DPReview and on Facebook showing off the prowess of the a9 shooting MMA bouts in low light. Perhaps there are more demanding things to shoot in low light, but I'm sure it makes high school wrestling seem easy to shoot. Nelson came from a Nikon D5 over to the Sony a99ii, and then over to the a9. While this is just one shooter, it is one intense shooter coming from two bodies with state-of-the-art AF systems.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=KX1sfy__7A4 (external link)

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,209 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 25, 2018 17:03 |  #39

For me using the adapter will be only for those 2 lenses (100L and 16-35) that don't really require AF. I will be getting native lenses from the start as eventually this Sony will be the second body and the Canon once released will be my main body so selling off my Canon lenses is not an option.

I was originally looking at the Sony 35mm f/1.4 but have seen a lot of complaints about QC issues and decentered copies which makes me more interested in the Sigma.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,209 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 29, 2018 20:30 |  #40

Ok so there has been an issue with my plan...

The Sigma 35mm release date has been pushed back to June here as well and this was meant to be my main native lens so I'm going to have to rely on the 35 IS adapted with the MC-11 for a while.

I'm now thinking I may get the Sony 85mm f/1.8 instead and just get the 35 Art once I can sell my Sigma 85mm :(

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,716 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2018 21:14 |  #41

Dlee13 wrote in post #18616240 (external link)
Ok so there has been an issue with my plan...

The Sigma 35mm release date has been pushed back to June here as well and this was meant to be my main native lens so I'm going to have to rely on the 35 IS adapted with the MC-11 for a while.

I'm now thinking I may get the Sony 85mm f/1.8 instead and just get the 35 Art once I can sell my Sigma 85mm :(

So far the 35 f/2IS is working relatively fast with the MC-11 adapter.

Excuse the iphone snapshot. The 35 f/2IS is actually a very light combo with the A7iii. I have preference to the 24mm prime over 35mm. I'll have to say the 35 f/2IS suites my needs for my Sony "fun" System.

I'll be picking up a Sony 85 f/1.8 soon. It's affordable and provide just as creamy bokeh as my Fuji 56 f/1.2. I will have to say that the Eshutter in the Fuji can surpass much further than the limited 1/8000 max E shutter speed from Sony. Sony is a different beast that just is a treat to use so far.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,209 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 29, 2018 22:11 |  #42

AlanU wrote in post #18616258 (external link)
So far the 35 f/2IS is working relatively fast with the MC-11 adapter.

Excuse the iphone snapshot. The 35 f/2IS is actually a very light combo with the A7iii. I have preference to the 24mm prime over 35mm. I'll have to say the 35 f/2IS suites my needs for my Sony "fun" System.

I'll be picking up a Sony 85 f/1.8 soon. It's affordable and provide just as creamy bokeh as my Fuji 56 f/1.2. I will have to say that the Eshutter in the Fuji can surpass much further than the limited 1/8000 max E shutter speed from Sony. Sony is a different beast that just is a treat to use so far.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=186​16258&i=i174577909
forum: Changing Camera Brands

Thanks for the pic, looks good! I'm scared that the 35 IS will perform so well that I won't want to get the Sigma since it's so much smaller and lighter :p

I've never actually had a body that does 1/8000th shutter so will be good to finally have that, as well as the faster flash sync speed.

I will very likely get the 85mm this Friday with the A73 so I can let you know how I like it but from all reviews and comparisons I seen it's a real amazing lens, especially for the price. If only Sony did the same thing in 35mm :(

sponsored links

2,456 views & 5 likes for this thread
A Good Plan?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.