Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to connect Flash to a light stand?

bellbound
26 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 24, 2018 15:52 |  #1

Sorry for having to ask; I want to attach a flash to a light stand. The stand has a hotshoe (I think that is what it is called) adapter. However, the Flash does not fit in the attachment. What do I need to connect my Flash to the adapter on the lightstand?

Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
bpalermini
Goldmember
1,300 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 24, 2018 16:42 |  #2

That kind of looks like a cold shoe (no electrical contacts) but it does look like the side walls are deeper than normal. It would be good if you showed a more overall picture of the bracket so we could tell what it is.

I have umbrella brackets like THIS (external link) one. It works great with my flashes.

You might just be able to replace the cold shoe on your bracket with something like THIS (external link). But again, it's hard to tell from the pictures you posted

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,608 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 24, 2018 17:33 |  #3

With all the stuff coming out of that mount, it sure makes me think its some kind of quick release for a camera. Rather than a light stand, maybe it's a camera tripod and tripod head.

But yeah, total guess, I can't tell what's up either.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

inkista
574 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 25, 2018 00:24 |  #4

Um... are you using a tripod? or a lightstand?

Tripods typically have threaded bolt on top that you attach the head to. Lightstands either have a spigot/stud: or a bolt that you can screw a spigot (external link) onto.

To me, that looks more like a tripod quick-release (as was guessed up-thread). What you'd need to do is remove the head on the tripod (if you can; some lower-cost tripods don't have separate heads). And then get a spigot and either an umbrella swivel (external link) or a bracket (external link). You then screw the spigot onto the bolt that held the head, and clamp the swivel or bracket onto the spigot.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Pauld73
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Apr 25, 2018 03:00 |  #5

On the picture of the flash itself, the locking pin seems to be out. Check this, it may be your problem.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,608 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 25, 2018 05:57 |  #6

Pauld73 wrote in post #18613050 (external link)
On the picture of the flash itself, the locking pin seems to be out. Check this, it may be your problem.

Whoa, good eyes!

If it's something like a 580EXII, the lever is on the lock side too.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bellbound
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 29, 2018 18:43 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

It is a 600EX-RT. Where can I get a new locking pin? Any idea how it may have fallen off?

Thanks for all the replies!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,608 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Apr 29, 2018 19:27 |  #8

bellbound wrote in post #18616170 (external link)
It is a 600EX-RT. Where can I get a new locking pin? Any idea how it may have fallen off?

Thanks for all the replies!

Pink is the pin.

Green, in the background, is the lever that engages the pin and grabs on to whatever cold/hot shoe you have it in.

Both show that it is in the locked position. You have to move the lever to the other side to unlock it.

This is at least part of the problem. I really am really, really curious what the rest of the top of that stand looks like. It does not look like a typical flash stand/cold shoe, at all. Post some pics.

HOSTED PHOTO

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 30, 2018 10:45 |  #9

That looks like a cold shoe with a tripod threaded bottom. It's the right size to accept the flash foot, and too small for any camera quick-mount I've ever seen.

I suspect as has been mentioned the flash is not sliding on because the locking pin is extended.

bellbound
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by bellbound.

May 01, 2018 20:17 |  #10

Yes, that was it. It doesn't go on smoothly so it felt like it was being forced. I also never really paid attention to how the connector on the Flash looks and it seemed like a piece may have fallen off. I also have a Sony Flash and the connector is different, and the connector doesn't seem as exposed so that it is partially what led me to think something may have fallen off. Attached is a photo of the Sony connector also.

Regarding the stand, it is a Hensel light stand with a threaded attachment on top for hot shoe accessories/Flash (see attached photos) The Sony Flash is even more difficult to get on and I am not going to try too much because of my concern with damaging the connector?

1. Is this just not the right Flash hot shoe accessory?
2. How delicate is the connector on the bottom of the Flash? It just seems like putting it on and off of the stand is not as smooth as it should be.
3. I do not want to take a chance with the hotshoe/flash connector if it should go on more smoothly. I have no idea where i got this one. Any recommendations for one that should attach more smoothly?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

bellbound
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012

May 01, 2018 20:26 |  #11

Regarding the confusion with the stand, I see, I have this attachment on it (not sure what it is called) to add an umbrella and the hotshoe. That is why it did not look like a typical light stand.

HOSTED PHOTO

RDKirk
12,766 posts
Joined May 2004

May 01, 2018 20:48 |  #12

I'm not familiar with the feet of Sony flashes, except I know they're uniquely non-standard.

But that Canon flash should fit if you're moved it out of the locked position.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,608 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 02, 2018 07:06 |  #13

Post 11 is called an umbrella bracket. That looks like a nice one, lots are plastic crap with small thumbscrews rather than large handle screws.

The chrome screw handle holds a "spigot" into the bracket. Not that you specifically need to, but you can get different sizes and shapes that will go in there.

The reason you are still feeling resistance is probably due to the thickness of the cold shoe brackets in combination with the rubber weather sealing around the canon speedlight flash foot.

http://flashzebra.com …s-shoes/flash-shoes.shtml (external link)

Check out the difference between what you have and #0219 on this page. Yours appears to be thicker cast steel while the 0219 product has thinner, bent sheet metal like the top of your camera. This minor upgrade might be worth it to eliminate wear on the rubber gasket, and should allow proper use of the locking lever on the speedlight.

Fwiw, the flash zebra site is legit, even if it looks a bit dated. :D

RDKirk
12,766 posts
Joined May 2004

May 02, 2018 13:32 |  #14

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18617995 (external link)
Post 11 is called an umbrella bracket. That looks like a nice one, lots are plastic crap with small thumbscrews rather than large handle screws.

That is the Manfrotto, which is all-metal and the only one worth buying. There used to be a Calumet copy that was good, but I don't think they can be found anymore. That lever combined with the metal construction requires only a quarter turn to go from smoothly loose to rock-tight.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,840 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 02, 2018 13:44 |  #15

just curious, how are you planning to fire off the flash?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,244 views & 12 likes for this thread
How to connect Flash to a light stand?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.