Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Apr 2018 (Friday) 02:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for feedback

Evertking
378 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Apr 27, 2018 02:37 |  #1

Still practicing and need some advice on how things are going and how to improve. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,901 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 27, 2018 04:43 |  #2

The post-processing work on the face [plug-in, sir?] is so obvious, it almost destroyed my phone, that's why I am writing this comment from desktop, as it has more resources.

Of course, it might be, that you went for a "painty" look, as it definitely leans towards that esthetic side of things. That can be your excuse.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Kristine2514
131 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2017

Apr 27, 2018 08:33 |  #3

I believe you were going for the look of a painting and think it looks very nice...tasteful.

EOS 30D

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Apr 28, 2018 11:18 |  #4

I like the effect.

I don't believe in a slavish adherence to the rule of thirds, but I think that this is a case where it might be helpful. Since she's looking to the camera left, I would give her a little more room on that side

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

BokehBender
38 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 24, 2018 23:05 |  #5

I agree with joedlh that some room on the left would go a long way to improve the second photo. Also a black hat on a black background sort of makes it blend in which is a no no. It does draw some attention to her face but leaves the overall image lacking in my opinion.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2018 04:57 |  #6

I think #1 would be much better with an OOF background.

-- Image Editing OK --

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,716 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 20 days ago by Croasdail.

Jul 25, 2018 10:47 |  #7

I like the images, but I've got sharpening artifacts on what I see. Particularly in image 1. Shoulders show it the most. Second image doesn't seem to have the same issue.

Love the smooth tonal pallet.

In my opinion only.... the second image, the expression doesn't really match the stance. If I were putting a thought in her head it would be something like "what in the heck is he doing now?". May be what you intended... so if that is the case.... you got it. I would also be willing to decenter the image then. It is clear that it looks like you tried to keep the spacing on the sides even, but I would be willing to shift her over to the right some so that there is negative space she is peering into. Right now the top right corner is too heavy for me. That said, I love out of balance images.... so may not be worth the recrop. Love the colors, and everything else... just spacing feels a smidge awkward to me. Could just be me - usually is. Cheers.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

s1a1om
482 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 26, 2018 18:25 |  #8

I like the photos. They're fun, different, and remind me of paintings. Nice job!

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

daveeddd4
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 08, 2018 08:57 |  #9

I just went to the art museum yesterday and this definitely looks like you were going for a classic painting... I like it.

sponsored links

786 views & 4 likes for this thread
Looking for feedback
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.